2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2014 Wouldn't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/14 | 06:34 PM

2014 Wouldn't Start

Hi Guys,

New here, apologize if this is in the wrong board. Had some issues tonight when trying to start a 2014 automatic Mustang. No mods, new in Feb, was serviced in Oct for oil change and tire rotation, just shy of 15k miles on it now. Car is garaged at night and driven daily.

Went to start and it cranked several times, longer than normal. It did catch but right away apparent that something was off, hardly any power to it and it died almost immediately. Only dash light that came on was battery, yet headlights, radio, all interior lights were at full strength/didn't dim. Turned car off, let set a minute, tried to start it again. Did same thing, this time however could smell exhaust/a slight burning smell in garage.

Thought maybe somehow I was completely incompetent and flooded it. Waited about ten minutes, tried car again, and it did start right up. Was running pretty rough for 30 seconds but no dash sensors came on. I let it idle for a bit then backed it out. Pressed system reset info, nothing out of the ordinary, still no lights on dash. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Hoping it is nothing, love the car and have had nothing but great experience for first 15k miles. Does have me worried about getting to work tomorrow though.

Would be grateful for any help!
Thanks!
Old 12/7/14 | 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Could possibly be a blown fuse. Had a similar issue on a recently purchased 2007 GT. Turned out to be the started motor. Might be best to get the Mustang to the nearest dealer and have them attached there diagnostic's to it to analyze the problem. Tell work your sick.
Old 12/9/14 | 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Should be under warranty so I'd take it in. Same thing happened to mine. Ended up being a bad battery, mine is a manual though. Apparently one of the sections fried and killed the battery. Pretty common I suppose especially if you've experienced a drastic climate change. Mine blew right after it was super hot and went cooled down real quick.
Old 12/10/14 | 03:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Should be under warranty so I'd take it in. Same thing happened to mine. Ended up being a bad battery, mine is a manual though. Apparently one of the sections fried and killed the battery. Pretty common I suppose especially if you've experienced a drastic climate change. Mine blew right after it was super hot and went cooled down real quick.
So the battery is what caused your engine to run rough? OP states his car will start, but runs rough...dunno, but suggest take car back to dealer and have them troubleshoot the issue.
Old 12/10/14 | 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Is the fuel cutoff switch still in the same place as on the 05-10 models. Might want to give that a push... just for good measure
Old 12/16/14 | 10:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by ohiomustang
Hi Guys,

New here, apologize if this is in the wrong board. Had some issues tonight when trying to start a 2014 automatic Mustang. No mods, new in Feb, was serviced in Oct for oil change and tire rotation, just shy of 15k miles on it now. Car is garaged at night and driven daily.

Went to start and it cranked several times, longer than normal. It did catch but right away apparent that something was off, hardly any power to it and it died almost immediately. Only dash light that came on was battery, yet headlights, radio, all interior lights were at full strength/didn't dim. Turned car off, let set a minute, tried to start it again. Did same thing, this time however could smell exhaust/a slight burning smell in garage.

Thought maybe somehow I was completely incompetent and flooded it. Waited about ten minutes, tried car again, and it did start right up. Was running pretty rough for 30 seconds but no dash sensors came on. I let it idle for a bit then backed it out. Pressed system reset info, nothing out of the ordinary, still no lights on dash. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Hoping it is nothing, love the car and have had nothing but great experience for first 15k miles. Does have me worried about getting to work tomorrow though.

Would be grateful for any help!
Thanks!
Hello ohiomustang,

Welcome to the forum and sorry I’m a little late to the party. My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Has this been addressed for you?

Deysha