2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 GT Track Key

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/13, 02:59 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My ProCal install was 80 dollars. Took the mechanic about forty minutes.
Old 12/31/13, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost?

Sorry if I missed this in the link or previous posts but does anyone know the cost of the key/software (minus the install)?
I would expect to get this IMMEDIATELY after it's offered and thanks to dmichaels with my sister GB trackpack for posting.
Old 1/1/14, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Golffanatic - got the same car as me it sounds? Like it? Track it yet?

regarding cost, it should be ~$200 if you shop around, then ~$50-75 for a dealer to "install" based on what I've seen with the Boss guys. Watson Engineering offers it for the boss at that price. I do not know if they'll do the same deal for the TP GT track keys... if they do, I may jump at it as well.
Old 1/1/14, 07:32 PM
GT Member

I believe retail for the Boss Key was 302 dollars.

Tod
Old 1/8/14, 11:22 AM

dmichaels - Exact same car yes and I don't like it... I LOVE it! I feel like its twice the car I actually paid for.
Haven't tracked it yet (except for the local business park on a Sunday).
Old 1/8/14, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by golffanatic777
dmichaels - Exact same car yes and I don't like it... I LOVE it! I feel like its twice the car I actually paid for.
Haven't tracked it yet (except for the local business park on a Sunday).
Well put, for the money I couldn't come up with anything better. It's a blast. Very interested to see how the track key changes the driving dynamics.

I need to get to the big parking lot at my work some weekend to do a little 'skid pad work' too, refamiliarize myself with the sliding characteristics
Old 1/8/14, 08:35 PM
GT Member

Smile

I am not sure about worth twice what I paid for it but my GT is an amazing value and makes me grin just a much as my brothers 2013 M3. Maybe a bit bigger grin with the GT because it just feels a bit more raw
Old 1/8/14, 08:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by todcp
I am not sure about worth twice what I paid for it but my GT is an amazing value and makes me grin just a much as my brothers 2013 M3. Maybe a bit bigger grin with the GT because it just feels a bit more raw

I'm sure you've seen this but maybe your brother would enjoy watching it.

Old 1/9/14, 04:04 PM
GT Member

The video did not link for me.
I did share this with my brother.
Attached Images  
Old 1/9/14, 10:57 PM
Cobra Member

It is for July 2013 and later build dates only. Significant changes were made to the electronics, sensors etc, after that date. Ford Racing lead tech guy confirmed that to me by phone.
Also confirmed there will be no change in power. So my ProCal tune will be overwritten and that power lost.
However the rest of the track key items mean a lot to me so I will be purchasing one.
Take this with a big grain of salt, and feel free to tell me I'm making this up - which I'm not - the Track Key program is good for about 8hp on a Boss Mustang. Saw this with my own eyes on back to back Dyno runs with 2 Bosses, mine and another guys black Laguna Seca. I have pics of both Dyno runs, 1st pull with silver key, 2nd with red key. The speed shop owner told me that's what he's seen on ALL the track key cars he's run on his Dyno.

I can understand why Ford Racing would claim zero power gains, for liability and whatever other consumer regulation crap they might have to deal with.

I can't wait to see if GT owners see the same 8hp bump, or if there's something different about the Copperhead ECU in the Boss versus the new GTs that can accept this tune. My bet is it's the same or upgraded ECU as the ones in 12/13 Boss Mustangs.
Old 1/13/14, 07:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The video did not link for me.
I did share this with my brother.
Love the M3 and would happily own one, but for the money, wasn't an option.
Old 1/13/14, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Well put, for the money I couldn't come up with anything better. It's a blast. Very interested to see how the track key changes the driving dynamics.

I need to get to the big parking lot at my work some weekend to do a little 'skid pad work' too, refamiliarize myself with the sliding characteristics
I felt a little bad about the tires, but that's exactly what I did with mine on the second day of owning it. Held the Traction button for 5 seconds, and drifted some circles and 8's around 2 light posts in this huge industrial park lot. Mustang is an AWESOME tire scorcher. I was a little surprised that it took more throttle in 2nd than I expected to brake the rear tires loose with 3.73s (Track Pack Pirellis are very grippy in warm weather), but once they broke and I backed off the throttle a little it held the slip angle real well. I was happy ... until I looked at the rear tires anyway . It's worth to do at least a few times to get a feel for the side slip dynamics. Perhaps right before changing tires
Old 1/13/14, 11:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Love the M3 and would happily own one, but for the money, wasn't an option.
This is exactly the situation in which I found myself last year. I just couldn't justify the extra cost of entry. And then you factor in the maintenance on an M3 and it was a no brainer.
Old 1/14/14, 05:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
My buddy has a 2012 m3 and it's maintenance free for 6 years. He brings it to the dealer. They give him a 5 series loaner for a few hours and they do whatever it needs. No cost to him.
Old 1/14/14, 05:43 AM

this is what made me jump from BMW to Mustang, love the way BMWs drive but just isn't worth the extra expense when American cars have come so far over the last decade or so. I have driven almost every BMW made in the last 10 years from 1 series to 760 and love driving my 2014 GT track pack as much if not more than any of them.
Old 1/14/14, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I felt a little bad about the tires, but that's exactly what I did with mine on the second day of owning it. Held the Traction button for 5 seconds, and drifted some circles and 8's around 2 light posts in this huge industrial park lot. Mustang is an AWESOME tire scorcher. I was a little surprised that it took more throttle in 2nd than I expected to brake the rear tires loose with 3.73s (Track Pack Pirellis are very grippy in warm weather), but once they broke and I backed off the throttle a little it held the slip angle real well. I was happy ... until I looked at the rear tires anyway . It's worth to do at least a few times to get a feel for the side slip dynamics. Perhaps right before changing tires
I actually got a set of GT500 wheels with tires as a track set, but the tires have a bit of dry rot so they'll never see track duty. They have enough tread for some street driving, and they will be "sacrificed" to sliding practice as well. Save the $$$ OEM tires for my regular daily driving. SHould work out well!

Amazingly, I have yet to light up the rear tires. Have had some hard launches and spun a bit, and have done a few 180 spins, but that's really it! I'm overdue for some fun
Old 1/19/14, 06:55 PM

How do I find the build date of my car? I bought my gt track pack car in september
Old 1/19/14, 07:28 PM

Look at the sticker on the drivers side under the door latch.
Old 1/20/14, 04:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 14silvercoyote
How do I find the build date of my car? I bought my gt track pack car in september
Also available on the window sticker if you have it
Old 2/13/14, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

I hate how people all over youtube still say things like "Yeah but take it to a track and the Mustang will get creamed, American cars are only good in a straight line." Then I promptly direct them to Motortrend's review where it almost beat an m3 on the track.. lols

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Track Key