2014 GT Track Key

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/13, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
2014 GT Track Key

Saw this posted on another forum:

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/523.htm

Track Key (similar/same as Boss track key) being made available for some 2014 GT's... interesting
Old 11/18/13, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Wow, this sounds awesome! I'd be interested in this for my 2014 GT TP. Make it a little more like the BOSS

"Throttle limiting and torque management and any daily drivability enhancements are removed and replaced with a pure Ford Racing competition calibration." -- I wonder what he means. I'm sure there still has to be a Rev limiter, otherwise this would void the warranty.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11/18/13 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11/18/13, 12:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be in too. Nice that it doesn't void the factory warranty.
Old 11/18/13, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an automatic so can't use the track key feature. But I do have Sport Mode on the shifter that alters the shift logic noticeably.

It would be really cool if some aftermarket tuners could figure this out and make 2 or more tunes available on command by re-purposing an existing switch in the car, rather than having to use a separate key.
Old 11/18/13, 02:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Wow, this sounds awesome! I'd be interested in this for my 2014 GT TP. Make it a little more like the BOSS

"Throttle limiting and torque management and any daily drivability enhancements are removed and replaced with a pure Ford Racing competition calibration." -- I wonder what he means. I'm sure there still has to be a Rev limiter, otherwise this would void the warranty.
I have a friend with a Boss LS with the track key - I will have to touch base with him to see what he usually uses with the car and if he feels the track key changes are worthwhile. It is more changes with throttle response than performance gains I believe, but never know for the GT. My car was "born" in May, so supposedly it is not compatible with the track key. Oh well
Old 11/18/13, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds pretty cool but it leaves me out because I have an automatic equipped car and mine was built in Feb, 2014. I'll be looking forward to hear people's comments that do purchase this on how it works and if they like it or not.

Wayne
Old 11/18/13, 02:54 PM
V6 Member

Too bad for us '13 guys.

Launch Control would be worth every penny.
Old 11/18/13, 04:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stocktastic
Too bad for us '13 guys.

Launch Control would be worth every penny.
True launch control would be very cool... wonder if they'll introduce track key later for earlier GT's
Old 11/18/13, 05:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the posters on the thread over on AFM called Ford Racing and was told the production date listed is wrong, that it will work on late '13 and all '14 GT's.

Changes over 600 parameters in the tune, way more in depth than the ordinary aftermarket tune.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't make a power increase as well as the greater throttle response. It also provides for full engine braking, none of this crud of the RPM's hanging when you let off the throttle.

It will take a lot of concentration to use it on the street with the super touchy throttle and full engine braking.

And it does void the factory powertrain warranty, just like most other FRPP parts. If a Ford dealer installs it, then it replaces the factory warranty with a Ford Racing warranty, instead of 5 years 60K miles you get a 3 years 36K miles warranty.

I am definitely looking at getting this for my car, and since I put so few miles on my car anyway, the reduced warranty won't be much of an issue for me.
Old 11/18/13, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
One of the posters on the thread over on AFM called Ford Racing and was told the production date listed is wrong, that it will work on late '13 and all '14 GT's. Changes over 600 parameters in the tune, way more in depth than the ordinary aftermarket tune. I can't imagine that it wouldn't make a power increase as well as the greater throttle response. It also provides for full engine braking, none of this crud of the RPM's hanging when you let off the throttle. It will take a lot of concentration to use it on the street with the super touchy throttle and full engine braking. And it does void the factory powertrain warranty, just like most other FRPP parts. If a Ford dealer installs it, then it replaces the factory warranty with a Ford Racing warranty, instead of 5 years 60K miles you get a 3 years 36K miles warranty. I am definitely looking at getting this for my car, and since I put so few miles on my car anyway, the reduced warranty won't be much of an issue for me.
Sweet
Old 11/18/13, 06:38 PM
Banned

interesting.. better than an actual tune?
Old 11/18/13, 06:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
I have a friend with a Boss LS with the track key - I will have to touch base with him to see what he usually uses with the car and if he feels the track key changes are worthwhile. It is more changes with throttle response than performance gains I believe, but never know for the GT. My car was "born" in May, so supposedly it is not compatible with the track key. Oh well
In my opinion (for whatever it is worth) I wouldn't get the track key unless you are worried about your warranty. I still haven't gotten mine activated because I don't feel like paying $400-500 for something that doesn't increase power any and gives me a lopey idle. I could increase my power and get a lopey idle for about $100 cheaper.

I'm not saying that the track key doesn't have it's merits because it does for sure. If you are tracking your car IMO it is well worth it as the revisions made to the PCM are oriented more towards a road course style events in my mind. Plus the increased engine breaking is a great thing along with the pit speed limiter along with the revisions that Ford Racing made to it but for me it just isn't worth it. Imma step off my soap box now
Old 11/18/13, 06:56 PM
GTR Member

There are quite a few videos on youtube if you search out Track Key.

And yes, it is a road racing geared mod, not going to be real street friendly due to the touchy throttle settings and engine braking, could be sort of tedious on the street.
Old 11/18/13, 07:04 PM
V6 Member

I have an early, early '13.

**** it.
Old 11/18/13, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
In my opinion (for whatever it is worth) I wouldn't get the track key unless you are worried about your warranty. I still haven't gotten mine activated because I don't feel like paying $400-500 for something that doesn't increase power any and gives me a lopey idle. I could increase my power and get a lopey idle for about $100 cheaper.

I'm not saying that the track key doesn't have it's merits because it does for sure. If you are tracking your car IMO it is well worth it as the revisions made to the PCM are oriented more towards a road course style events in my mind. Plus the increased engine breaking is a great thing along with the pit speed limiter along with the revisions that Ford Racing made to it but for me it just isn't worth it. Imma step off my soap box now
Would be fairly low on my priority list, but potentially a nice option. Regarding the warranty, if I were to get this at say 20k miles, does that result in 36k warranty from that point up to 56k miles or simply reduce my total powertrain down to 36k? I have a number of suspension and aero additions, along with a set of tires for my extra set of wheels, that come first, but I like the option of the track key for exactly that - track duty.
Old 11/18/13, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Would be fairly low on my priority list, but potentially a nice option. Regarding the warranty, if I were to get this at say 20k miles, does that result in 36k warranty from that point up to 56k miles or simply reduce my total powertrain down to 36k? I have a number of suspension and aero additions, along with a set of tires for my extra set of wheels, that come first, but I like the option of the track key for exactly that - track duty.
From my understanding of the Ford Racing Warranty it reduces it to 3 years/36,000 mile.

"TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a late model Ford vehicles
by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with
Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the
start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing
manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is
triggered by TracKey. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty
for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when TracKey is identified as the causal part of a warrantable
concern. Installation of TracKey by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited
Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of TracKey remain
subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. "

http://www.fordracingparts.com/annou...12_TracKey.pdf

Last edited by ford20; 11/18/13 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11/19/13, 09:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

^ makes sense, I interpreted the same way. More in favor of Ford than the consumer.
Old 11/19/13, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How does this compare to FRPP Procal...?
Also, what's the production date got to do with anything??? Do they mean late 13's and 14's have different components in the engine department? I'm not aware of any major revision done other than gauges and hight adjustable cup holder...?!
Old 11/19/13, 02:27 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
How does this compare to FRPP Procal...?
Also, what's the production date got to do with anything??? Do they mean late 13's and 14's have different components in the engine department? I'm not aware of any major revision done other than gauges and hight adjustable cup holder...?!
Procal is like any aftermarket tune, just doesn't make as much power. Track Key changes over 600 parameters and is not intended as a power tune, instead is a track prep tune geared toward making the car more tractable on a road race track.

And I imagine the reason for only working on later model GT's is some change to the PCM to allow the Track Key to operate.
Old 11/19/13, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stocktastic
I have an early, early '13.

**** it.
me too. I got totally spun up until it said 7/1/2013
was totally in the mind set that my car was built in 2014....

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Track Key