Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 GT TP vs 2014 GT TP at the track

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/14, 11:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
My thing is, I've always planned to do the Watts Link, mostly for the help in ride quality, not necessarily handling. I just want to lower my car sooner rather than later, and I could do it now with an adjustable PHB.
Ride quality as in? From my understanding either phb or watts just keeps the axle centered so it may increase stability or predictability but not sure about quality.
Old 7/24/14, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by BBM3
You are getting on the throttle on exit of every turn way quicker than I would expect from My stock 2014 w/ Track Pack.

Great driving skills and awesome video.
Thanks for sharing.
Yes sir! dmichaels has a proper racing line in this vid!

Interesting observation about getting on the throttle by the time you hit the apex. This is what I was taught was the right way to do it, and having the car stay level through the turn in helps.

Do you hit the throttle about when I do? I have a stock (suspension wise) 2014 GT Track Pack. Here is a video from a session early in the day last Sunday at Grattan raceway in Michigan.

https://themustangsource.com/f660/hp...2014-a-531658/
Old 7/24/14, 12:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Fast lap of the day. Interestingly I went I to this lap with the intent of making it my fastest. Pushed harder everywhere, late braking and early power on exits. I dropped almost a second off my previous best. Was very pleased.

[Youtube]
[/Youube]
Old 7/24/14, 12:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

Interesting observation about getting on the throttle by the time you hit the apex. This is what I was taught was the right way to do it, and having the car stay level through the turn in helps.

Do you hit the throttle about when I do? I have a stock (suspension wise) 2014 GT Track Pack. Here is a video from a session early in the day last Sunday at Grattan raceway in Michigan.

https://themustangsource.com/f660/hp...2014-a-531658/
I'll watch later tonight. YouTube is actually comes at work to watch videos. Can just access the site, but not stream...

Agree about getting on the throttle as early as possible though
Old 7/24/14, 12:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Ride quality as in? From my understanding either phb or watts just keeps the axle centered so it may increase stability or predictability but not sure about quality.
As in, keeping the axle centered over bumps and turns so it doesn't feel so jiggly. I rode in a Saleen with Watts Link back to back with a SC281 without one and the ride was more controlled because the axle wasn't all jiggly like an old truck.
Old 7/24/14, 01:28 PM
Banned

Having hard time with youtube!

Here is my fastest session of last weekend (if this works)
Old 7/24/14, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Having hard time with youtube!

Here is my fastest session of last weekend (if this works)
YouTube

Cant see the video. It is marked private?
Old 7/24/14, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
In the video the gray mustang is leaning what looks to be allot?

Should the sway bars be adjusted? Trying to learn about these cars?

I'm use to light springs and heavy bars.
Old 7/24/14, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Cant see the video. It is marked private?
Thanks for the reminder. Good call. It loaded as private. I just Published it as public. Thank you!
Old 7/24/14, 02:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
In the video the gray mustang is leaning what looks to be allot?

Should the sway bars be adjusted? Trying to learn about these cars?

I'm use to light springs and heavy bars.
I am going to talk to the driver cause I was reviewing pictures too and my car is rolling a lot less and I'm on stock roll bars vs his aftermarket ones. Was quite surprised to see that. My springs might be stiffer... Will post if I get any more feedback on it.
Old 7/24/14, 02:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the reminder. Good call. It loaded as private. I just Published it as public. Thank you!
Will check it out at home later!
Old 7/24/14, 02:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I am going to talk to the driver cause I was reviewing pictures too and my car is rolling a lot less and I'm on stock roll bars vs his aftermarket ones. Was quite surprised to see that. My springs might be stiffer... Will post if I get any more feedback on it.
Stiffer springs on your part but it could also be the stickier tires he has that cause more roll.
Old 7/24/14, 02:47 PM
Banned

Will check it out at home later!
No worries. It's similar to before, but I manage to catch up to a C6, I don't get passed at all, and overall more aggressive with more tire squeal.
Old 7/24/14, 04:36 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Video.
The way I was taught is that generally as soon as you start unwinding the wheel get on it.
That works for me in some corners. For off camber, double apex, decreasing radius, bumps at exit, etc. that "general rule" needs to be adjusted.

As you know every corner is different and can even change throughout the day.
When you nail them you know it. Conversely when you blow them you know it.

Striving to nail every corner every lap is what makes this hobby so much fun.
Old 7/25/14, 05:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Stiffer springs on your part but it could also be the stickier tires he has that cause more roll.
I could agree with this, however as you may have noted in the video, we were taking corners at basically the exact same speed... so I don't think that was the cause.

Didn't get to look at the other video 5.Monster posted up, as I was out buying the wife a new car last night... 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI for anyone interested. Finally got an oil burner 55mpg on the highway during the test drive pretty much had me sold. But I digress

Will finally get around to watching other videos later tonight or tomorrow!

Appreciate all the feedback!
Old 7/25/14, 06:03 AM
Banned

Congrats on a new car! Is the Smart car gone?
Old 7/25/14, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I could agree with this, however as you may have noted in the video, we were taking corners at basically the exact same speed... so I don't think that was the cause.

Didn't get to look at the other video 5.Monster posted up, as I was out buying the wife a new car last night... 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI for anyone interested. Finally got an oil burner 55mpg on the highway during the test drive pretty much had me sold. But I digress

Will finally get around to watching other videos later tonight or tomorrow!

Appreciate all the feedback!
Same speed but if his tires grip more something will have to give ie. his suspension.
Old 7/25/14, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Congrats on a new car! Is the Smart car gone?
Yup! Been planning this for years. Wife finally agree
Old 7/25/14, 08:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Same speed but if his tires grip more something will have to give ie. his suspension.
His tires have more ultimate grip but the amount of grip bein used by two equal cars at the same cornering speed would be the same. That is to say we were both pulling let's say 1.05 lateral g's. Wouldn't matter if I had tires that have 1.05 g's as ultimate capability and other car was in Hoosiers with 1.5 g ultimate capability. We both are cornering with the same forces.

That's how I'm thinking of it at least. I haven't heard anything back on what the sway setup actually was. Definitely his was leaning more than mine tho. I will have pictures later to paint this picture more clearly.
Old 7/25/14, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BBM3
Nice Video.
The way I was taught is that generally as soon as you start unwinding the wheel get on it.
That works for me in some corners. For off camber, double apex, decreasing radius, bumps at exit, etc. that "general rule" needs to be adjusted.

As you know every corner is different and can even change throughout the day.
When you nail them you know it. Conversely when you blow them you know it.

Striving to nail every corner every lap is what makes this hobby so much fun.
I agree with you.

You accelerate as soon as possible, and after you start unwinding the wheel. And if you got your entry speed, turn in, and apex right, you've done majority of your steering before the apex. This way you are unwinding the steering wheel before (or at least at) the apex, and you can start getting on the throttle before the apex as well. (Slow In Fast Out) I think this rule stays fairly constant regardless of type of turn, or theoretical, double, early or late apex approach. My vehicle dynamics instructor was a race car driver, and he would yell at me every time I had to put in more steering after the apex. I can still hear him in the back of my head, lol.

But you also make a very good point about turns being different. I think you're spot on here. Sometimes you sacrifice your line through one to get a better angle on the other. The last turn is most important in a series of turns. So race car drivers will often "miss" the first apex to get a better angle on the second if it leads onto the straight. The turn leading onto the straight is most important, since you can pick up time there with higher exit speed, and carry it through the straight.

And you certainly have to adjust based on road conditions like bumps and surface changes like you said, but in my experience it means how hard and how fast you can get on the throttle (rolling onto it, vs rooooolling onto it vs jumping onto it). Maybe you can only apply 30% throttle until after the bump at the exit instead of 70%. If the track is wet, you probably have to adjust your line as well, as you need more room to brake and you can't corner as hard. I treat most apexes as theoretical, to avoid under steer at turn in for example, and no trail braking when it's wet.

As you said fast and consistent is the name of the game. And it sounds like you have the bug for it as well
Now the trick is to put it all into practice, and do it consistently and smoothly. "Smooth is Fast" that's the other thing my instructor would always say. I definitely still need more work on that.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/25/14 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT TP vs 2014 GT TP at the track