Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 GT mufflers How hard is it LOL

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/14, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 GT mufflers How hard is it LOL

OK how hard is it to change out the mufflers on a 2014 GT? Mine came all nicked up on the Tips. The dealer ordered several of them to get 2 that where not damaged. Then they installed the new ones and call to tell me it was ready. I get there and the Driver side is about 2" farther out than the Passenger side. The face of the mufflers have an orange tint to them. I laughed and the service manager said what? I said I am sure it is not suppose to look like that!!!

He said OK leave it here over night and will redo it.

Does anyone ever look at the stuff they work on???? Or do all Dealers hire parts swappers???? I was afraid this was going to happen. Ihave several other things scratched up or nicked inside but will not have them fix them because they will break 2 things fixing the one.

SO how hard is it for those who have done this????
Old 6/17/14, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's easy if you use a saws-all.
Old 6/17/14, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CHANGING GT MUFFLERS

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
OK how hard is it to change out the mufflers on a 2014 GT? Mine came all nicked up on the Tips. The dealer ordered several of them to get 2 that where not damaged. Then they installed the new ones and call to tell me it was ready. I get there and the Driver side is about 2" farther out than the Passenger side. The face of the mufflers have an orange tint to them. I laughed and the service manager said what? I said I am sure it is not suppose to look like that!!!

He said OK leave it here over night and will redo it.

Does anyone ever look at the stuff they work on???? Or do all Dealers hire parts swappers???? I was afraid this was going to happen. Ihave several other things scratched up or nicked inside but will not have them fix them because they will break 2 things fixing the one.

SO how hard is it for those who have done this????
It's very easy. I have done it twice on my 14 gt. Off with the stock. On with Ford Racing Sport. Off with the Ford sport and on with the Borla s type. Swap out took me about an hour after jacking up rear. Ford sports are for sale.

Last edited by CLARKIES GT; 6/17/14 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Was that twice or three? I don't know
Old 6/17/14, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed GT500's on my car this weekend and it was cake. I didn't bother with a blow-by-blow instructional, but put some tips/pointers from the perspective of a first timer (on a Mustang at least) in my build thread.
Old 6/17/14, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Takes a half hour to swap a set of mufflers and you don't even need to lift the car up. Probably less time if you have done it a few times.
Old 6/18/14, 06:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
My drives side muffler (OEM and then the GT500 that I put in ) both stuck out about an inch further on the drivers side too on my 2014. I have not fixed it. Barely noticeable but i do find it odd

Hope you get yours fixed. Like others said its a very easy bit of work.
Old 6/18/14, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
My drives side muffler (OEM and then the GT500 that I put in ) both stuck out about an inch further on the drivers side too on my 2014. I have not fixed it. Barely noticeable but i do find it odd

Hope you get yours fixed. Like others said its a very easy bit of work.
Mine does as well, but not that much, maybe 1/2" on mine, barely noticeable. I actually noticed it was slightly less after doing the H-pipe swap.
Old 6/18/14, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I got mine form American Muscle, and they weren't bent or dinged, and definitely not orange. I guess it depends who's driving the delivery truck. I had mine installed by the "midnight auto service" (side job for the Tech) at my dealer. The tech had them on in 30 minutes while I had a cup of joe, and walked around looking at the new Mustangs. I hope they get you fixed up right.
Old 6/18/14, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I finally got then installed correctly. @ times and they got it right. For some reason these sound louder than before but that is a good thing.

I started another post on Body chips because they put a chip in the drivers door edge. I cant **** believe it
. I should have left them all scratched up and just bought new ones.
Thanks to everyone that has shared the install experience. I will be changing them I was just wondering just how hard it is to change a muffler out. I guess for the parts swappers that some of the dealer have it must be hard!!!

Makes you want to never bring it back to them again.
Old 6/18/14, 08:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
When installing the GTA exhaust cans on Awesome, I had to wrangle the right side one because someone bent the inlet a little. I bent it back, but it still wasn't right. Probably should have taken it to a muffler shop without the can and had the inlet straightened out, but I modified the exit pipe from the car and got it in there. Yay, right?

Mostly. Now came the task of gettin' them straight and such. That involved leaving the inlets loose on the mufflers, then also loosening the two clamps behind the crossover, and futzing with things for a little bit....

Success! At last. 'Course, I had a lift, and so I could fiddle with the alignment, go back and look, that sort of thing... Hasn't moved since, so I guess I did well enough. They look right to me.

So yeah, sometimes, *sometimes*, it isn't just 'plonk' and they're done.