Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 GT/CS Towing Limits

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/13, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GT/CS Towing Limits

Hello all,

Before I get flammed for trying to tow with a mustang, please hear me out, I have legitimate reasoning!

I am patientlly waiting to pick my 2014 GT/CS mustang up at the dealership, after this deployment. I currently live in Cali, but my car and quad that I want to tow home are in South Dakota where im originally from. Do you think it is wise to tow the fourwheeler and a very small trailer from SoDak all the way to SoCal? My quad is just sitting at home and I want to utilize it where im stationed (SoCal) Its about 1500 miles to my final destination, keep in mind mostly flat roads and interstate. Uhaul has there own hitches and was thinking about purchasing this one, based on your review :http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-hitches/716069

The quad is about 500lbs and i would assume the trailer to be about 400ish. I dont think it would have its own brakes, such as electronic so the car would be doing all the stopping, along with the transmission. Please give me your honest input, I know some of you are wealthy enough to afford a mustang and a nice pickup to haul your crap, but for a poor service memeber such as myself this is all i have , So please dont give me smart comments telling me to purchase another vehicle, because that isnt an option other wise I wouldnt be asking this question.

Serious suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.
I would look up the towing capicity of the 2014 GTs, But the military blocks almost any website, apart from this forumSo If anybody has those specs, please shoot them my way!

I can see by Google, that alot of websites say 1000LB rating, but ford.com says 3500 ( I cannot open the page because its blocked)

Thank you
-adam

Last edited by adamxbomb; 5/8/13 at 12:34 AM. Reason: additional Information
Old 5/8/13, 02:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fords spec sheet shows 1,000 max..
You'll be fine towing it. 1,000 is nothing for the Mustang. I'm just not sure if it's a good idea without a proper break in on the Mustang first. I'd try to get at least 1,000 miles on it.
Heres a screen shot of it.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 5/8/13 at 02:18 AM.
Old 5/8/13, 02:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Screen shot.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130508_041810.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  19.3 KB
Old 5/8/13, 02:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I Don't Recommend It

Speaking as a retired Marine, Thank You For Your Military Service!

Firstly, I'd go the smaller U-Haul box truck or pickup truck and "Auto Transport" trailer route, vice the Pony/Trailer route. Here's why...

Ford says, (2010 Mustang) "1,000 lbs maximum towing capacity and 100 lbs maximum tongue weight."

If you go that route, know that you are at or exceeding your Pony's towing capacity. Best scenario is to rent a U-Haul "Motorcycle Trailer". The trailer's empty weight is 550 pounds and with an estimated 500 pound quad, you'll be running beyond Ford's recommendation. NOTE: This trailer will not have brakes of its own! You should also know that loading the quad all the way forward, in the trailer, gives you more tongue weight. Position the quad so your tongue weight isn't excessive and stays within Ford's recommended tongue weight limit. You don't want your Pony squatted.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=MT

This advice is founded from several years worth of road experience in regularly moving/relocating Budget Rental Trucks and trailers of all sizes:

A great concern I would have in using your Pony as a tow vehicle would be, towing in inclement weather. I can tell you, towing a loaded (1,050 pound) trailer behind your Pony wouldn't be safe at all. On dry roads, you'd probably be fine, but not in rainy or snowy weather. A quick step on the brake pedal could easily put you in an uncontrollable slide.

Please, shoot for a small U-Haul truck or one of their pickup trucks and an auto transport trailer. It would cost more, but YOUR safety is the paramount issue here.

Bill
Old 5/8/13, 03:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Agree with weather scenario. I've talked with owners of 05 Mustangs that tow a half car type trailer that matches there Mustang, it weighed over 1,100 lbs and he drives over 750 miles each way to get to Myrtle Beach show. 3 years in a row without a hiccup, but remember when weathers a factor you really need to use common sense.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 5/8/13 at 03:11 AM.
Old 5/8/13, 03:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just buy new quad? Between the time, gas and money for hitch trailer etc for one trip i'd sell the one you have where it's at and buy one when you get to where your going.
Old 5/8/13, 03:20 AM
Cobra R Member

The owner of the Mach1registry. Com

Has been towing a trailer rated up to 2000# that weighs over 1,000#s with supplies he sells. He crosses many states since 03 without a issue.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130508_051957.jpg
Views: 4685
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 5/8/13, 04:10 AM

Thank you all for your excelent answers, alot to consider. One other question, as im attempting to pull up the warrenty sheet, as long as I was staying within fords limits for towing, If something was to happen to the Tranny/Engine for whatever reason, they would cover it correct?

Ive owned a Commercial Drivers license ever since I was 16 so common sence applies when driving in inclimate weather, I would probably take the trip over 3 days just so I can enjoy the wonders this country has to offer!

Now Im just going to ask my Dad to weight everything and see what It comes out to, then I will report back with my findings!

Ohrah!
Old 5/8/13, 06:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Doubt you'd have much trouble as long as the hitch is installed properly and is rated for whatever load you're going to tow. Probably want to watch the tongue weight mainly - the weight of the trailer shouldn't be too much of an issue as the car has plenty of engine power and braking strength I'd expect.

I've seen many cars at track days with hitches as it's a great way to haul up an extra set of wheels, fuel, and tools. No shame in putting a hitch on, can always take it off if you wanted down the road
Old 5/8/13, 07:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tow golf carts and other odds and ends with my '11 GT/CS all the time.
Old 5/8/13, 07:21 AM

How much would you guess they weighed in total (cart/trailer)
Old 5/8/13, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adamxbomb
How much would you guess they weighed in total (cart/trailer)
Around 1200 lbs I would guess. Just watch the tongue weight and you should have no issues.
Old 5/8/13, 11:21 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pendleton or 29 Stumps?

How much cheaper is renting the trailer vs just renting a truck that can handle it?
Old 5/8/13, 11:40 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by adamxbomb
Thank you all for your excelent answers, alot to consider. One other question, as im attempting to pull up the warrenty sheet, as long as I was staying within fords limits for towing, If something was to happen to the Tranny/Engine for whatever reason, they would cover it correct?

Ive owned a Commercial Drivers license ever since I was 16 so common sence applies when driving in inclimate weather, I would probably take the trip over 3 days just so I can enjoy the wonders this country has to offer!

Now Im just going to ask my Dad to weight everything and see what It comes out to, then I will report back with my findings!

Ohrah!
Dude, just rent a Uhaul truck and trailer combo. It's cheap. I've done it. Don't put a hitch on your Mustang.
Old 5/8/13, 02:17 PM
Cobra R Member

I say put a hitch on it. I even had one on my 1967 Mustang..
Old 5/8/13, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Not saying it's right, but in my younger days we towed a ski boat with a 91 Pontiac trans am. Round trip was about 2200 km. The Tranny blew up not long after.
Old 5/8/13, 03:41 PM
GT Member

I would just rent a u-haul truck and trailer and load up your mustang and load up the quad and just hual them back that way it would cost you a few hundred extra..but by the time you install a hitch on the mustang and suck down all the gas you will be in the same ballpark of money spent...but if you just rent a truck and trailer to haul the mustang plus the quad at once you have peace at mind knowing you didnt damage your new mustang....
Old 5/8/13, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude just have it shipped.
Old 5/8/13, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Pendleton or 29 Stumps?

How much cheaper is renting the trailer vs just renting a truck that can handle it?
The stumps, I have the trailer sitting at home so it wont cost me anything, but the truck from uhaul is over 1000$, kinda stupid of me to do that IMO.

Originally Posted by RedGTs
Dude, just rent a Uhaul truck and trailer combo. It's cheap. I've done it. Don't put a hitch on your Mustang.
Originally Posted by Kevin0027
I would just rent a u-haul truck and trailer and load up your mustang and load up the quad and just hual them back that way it would cost you a few hundred extra..but by the time you install a hitch on the mustang and suck down all the gas you will be in the same ballpark of money spent...but if you just rent a truck and trailer to haul the mustang plus the quad at once you have peace at mind knowing you didnt damage your new mustang....
well over 1500$ for both of those not including the 14 MPG ill be getting, Im must emphasize im on a budget my friend.

Originally Posted by muscledom
Dude just have it shipped.
Im sure this could be an option, but i wouldnt assume it a very cheap one, have any reccomendations?
Old 5/9/13, 03:32 AM
Cobra R Member

I really can't understand why people are against towing? If your going to stay within the limits, there's no big deal. Especially if your talking about making 3 stops.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT/CS Towing Limits