2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 GT Grille / Fog Lamp Swap

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/12, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GT Grille / Fog Lamp Swap

Hey all: Preparing for the purchase of my first S197 -- a 2013 GT Premium coupe. I am not one to do a lot of modding on my cars, but the first thing I want to do is replace the grille and fog lights. To that end I'd appreciate any feedback; here are my thoughts / questions:

1. My overall goal is to eliminate the grille-mounted fog lights and install lower fascia units as in the GT/CS and V6. I would like to retain the same honeycomb and pony emblem (no corral) look from the original (so it'll match the lower grille which I don't need to replace). I know the grille lights are integral, so the upper grille has to go. Of the factory grilles I like the honeycomb best; the V6 grille would be perfect if it didn't look like a big flat piece of plastic (and it looks super restrictive based on the pics I've seen -- with only a few small slots cut in for airflow). Other than the construction of the grille itself the 2013 V6 look is pretty much what I'm looking for (yeah really!).

2. I couldn't find this info: Are the factory GT/CS and V6 fog lamps HID, LED, or incandescent? Some pictures I've seen show them as yellow, so I'm thinking maybe incandescent, but others look white. Whatever I put in there I'll want to match colorwise with the main HIDs and LEDs, so can I use the factory GT/CS and V6 parts or will I need something aftermarket?

3. What's involved as far as logistics? Since this is my first S197 I've never done any mods on this car before, but I'm confident I can handle it with a little guidance. Will my harness be sufficient or will modification (wire length, connectors, etc.) be necessary? FWIW I will have the Track Pack so I'll have the Boss radiator; don't know if that might impede things. I'm assuming the lower fascia knockouts are straightforward to remove.

Grille swaps on these cars seem pretty popular, so I welcome any and all thoughts / experiences / resources on this project, even if you're not looking at 100% the same configuration as I am. Thanks!
Old 4/22/12, 06:14 PM
BOSS Member

If you live in Canada, it will already come without grill mounted fogs and have the GT/CS lower instead.
Old 4/22/12, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
If you live in Canada, it will already come without grill mounted fogs and have the GT/CS lower instead.
Yeah, so I read. Sucks for them; I know the grille lamps are popular. Just not my thing. The stealth look if you will...

FWIW I'll probably sell my original grille set when I do the swap so I can do my part for our Canadian brothers (but they may need to find a matching lower grille since I might keep that).