Search this Thread

Old 7/20/12, 01:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
maybe he was counting in metric time
Old 7/20/12, 01:17 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its not a hard tranny... Its just not easy.. I still think most of the people having problems simply suck at driving stick. I am near 10k miles and have yet to have a problem with the mt82. I have test drove and drove my friends 5.0s and still no problems.

also I live in flagstaff which is 7000 feet and never had that much of a drop launch time. At most is will be 14% power drop.

btw stop being sheep that believe because someone posted something online that its some kind of fact.
Old 7/20/12, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
its not a hard tranny... Its just not easy.. I still think most of the people having problems simply suck at driving stick. I am near 10k miles and have yet to have a problem with the mt82. I have test drove and drove my friends 5.0s and still no problems.

also I live in flagstaff which is 7000 feet and never had that much of a drop launch time. At most is will be 14% power drop.

btw stop being sheep that believe because someone posted something online that its some kind of fact.
Either you
A...have a good tranny/pressure plate, bracket. (can I have yours?)
B: Granny shift your car all the time and have never really driven it above granny level or driven it like at a track or similar type of driving.

When I granny shift, I don't have problems either. Just when I try to drive my car like a sports car and the weak pressure plate and the rubber, squishy bracket moves around at higher RPM's do I have issues.

I don't suck at driving stick. I'm actually very, very, very good at driving stick. I'm willing to bet on a car with a good transmission I could drive circles around you.
Old 7/20/12, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I also love this attitude of "my car is good so it must be you". So if you get a flat tire from a defective tire and many other people have the same problem with said tire, can I blame you the driver. "I have the same tire and mine never blew so it must be the driver."

Stop being a sheeple and regurgitating Ford's excuse on this problem.

Last edited by db2797; 7/20/12 at 01:42 PM.
Old 7/20/12, 01:41 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I havent taken this car to the track ever. I have enjoyed driving it though. Like I said I have driven about a dozen other mt82 cars without issue. The owners of those cars think the same as I do about the lack of skill. I have been tot he track and drags with my other cars(even my fiesta) so yeah...

just because you can drive a stick doesnt mean you drive one well. Ifyo have ever driven a old ferrari or just anything old and sport you know a trans isnt always easy to use be that doesnt mean its a bad one.
Old 7/20/12, 01:43 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by db2797
I also love this attitude of "my car is good so it must be you". So if you get a flat tire from a defective tire and many other people have the same problem with said tire, can I blame you the driver. "I have the same tire and mine never blew so it must be the driver."
this is a poor example because tires on a car cannot be affected by the operator of the car. This is a use issue not a defect issue
Old 7/20/12, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking about shifters, the SVT forum has a good discussion on the Barton shifter. And the AM website has a good video on how to install it. If I do have problems with the factory shifter when I get my car, I'll probably put one in as the guy in the video problem's are real for many people.

Joe C
Old 7/20/12, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I havent taken this car to the track ever. I have enjoyed driving it though. Like I said I have driven about a dozen other mt82 cars without issue. The owners of those cars think the same as I do about the lack of skill. I have been tot he track and drags with my other cars(even my fiesta) so yeah...

just because you can drive a stick doesnt mean you drive one well. Ifyo have ever driven a old ferrari or just anything old and sport you know a trans isnt always easy to use be that doesnt mean its a bad one.
So you granny shift your car then and you haven't actually shifted this car consistently at high RPM's then? What other "owners" think it's a problem with skill? Other owners that don't have the same issue? Seems like many owners with skill driving stick have the same issue as I and others. So your point is moot.

Like I said, I NEVER have this issue when I granny shift. Once I try shifting with the RPM's above 5,000, that's where the issue starts. So basically, I have this down to a science. If I shift above that RPM, I hold in the clutch, put slight pressure on the 3rd gear gate and wait until the RPM's drop to 4,500 where about then is when it FINALLY slides into the gate. Before then, the gate is locked out.
Old 7/20/12, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

this is a poor example because tires on a car cannot be affected by the operator of the car. This is a use issue not a defect issue
I could blame owners for not knowing how to start a car from a stop. Or I could make up some excuse that those owners don't properly maintain tire pressure. I could make up anything I want which is basically the same thing accusations against those having problems with these transmissions are having thrown at them. Such as we don't understand how small the gates are and we "force" it into gear. NO I DON"T. I can't force anything into gear. The freakn' gear is completely locked out!!!!
Old 7/20/12, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
Talking about shifters, the SVT forum has a good discussion on the Barton shifter. And the AM website has a good video on how to install it. If I do have problems with the factory shifter when I get my car, I'll probably put one in as the guy in the video problem's are real for many people.

Joe C
I actually have that Barton shifter in my garage right now. I'm installing it next week. Hopefully it helps with some of the issue. I have a feeling a good part of the issue is clutch related though. So I may not have full improvement until upgrading the clutch.
Old 7/20/12, 08:42 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by db2797
I could blame owners for not knowing how to start a car from a stop. Or I could make up some excuse that those owners don't properly maintain tire pressure. I could make up anything I want which is basically the same thing accusations against those having problems with these transmissions are having thrown at them. Such as we don't understand how small the gates are and we "force" it into gear. NO I DON"T. I can't force anything into gear. The freakn' gear is completely locked out!!!!
I have shifted many many times over 5k and into 7k. are you power shifting?
Old 7/20/12, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have shifted many many times over 5k and into 7k. are you power shifting?
No I'm not power shifting. I gave that up a long time ago because I know the clutch is completely incapable of handling that. Ok I'm going to challenge you. The next time you take your car out drive it hard. Run the RPM's up right below the redline and try to do a quick shift. Now granny shifting doesn't count. Don't completely allow the RPM's to start reducing. Shift it while those RPM's are still up high or rising. And tell me exactly where your RPM's are at. And try it more than once. And be honest. Tell me it never, ever locks you out when shifting like this. Be honest as to whether you get locked out. And don't recreate history with your experience. Like I said...no granny shifting where you're sitting there letting the snychros settle and at really high RPM's.
Old 7/20/12, 11:21 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I will try to make a video this weekend.
Old 7/20/12, 11:57 PM

I disagree. Had a 2011 that had the worst tranny. Gear lockouts, grinds, etc. Now on the 2012, no problems at all after 8 months.

I wouldn't automatically assume that someone having issues with the MT82 is a bad driver.
Old 7/21/12, 07:28 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
Manual trans 2011+ Mustangs are not easy cars to drive well. I've been driving manuals all my life, and it took me a month or so to get really good at driving mine where I could get 0-60 runs in under 5 seconds consistently. The launch is super critical to get right, and then it's really easy to miss shifts, as anybody with a 6MT knows already.
Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
Yea but the Mt82 misses second gear 4 out of 5 times.
Since I have had my mgw shifter, I know nothing of what it feels like to miss shifts

Mgw is the cure all for the stock tranny bad shift feel.
Old 7/21/12, 10:38 AM
V6 Member

I've had my 5.0 since june of 2010; i dont see how you can miss 2nd. 3rd, sure, 5th maybe, but come on , 2nd?

Last edited by tstrick9; 7/21/12 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 7/23/12, 07:34 AM

Very slow I hit 4.8 in my 2011
Old 7/24/12, 01:10 PM
V6 Member

Not quite...power loss is approx 3.5% /1000 ft elevation increase from sea level,,,
Old 7/24/12, 04:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

been to the track plenty of times no issue. Tranny is not super smooth when the car is cold. So I just dont beat on it till its upto operating temp. The stock clutch it plenty upto power shifts. There are plenty of people with elevated power levels still running the stock clutch. I have missed 3rd a coulpe times around town trying to speed shift. But thats all me b/c I have a 98 cobra and still not completely used to the close gates after owning that for 14 years. Still comes down to driver error on alot of it...
Old 7/31/12, 05:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Maybe he forgot to remove his clown shoes before getting into the cars....
I snickered out loud a bit at the thought of that

Quick Reply: 2013 GT 0 - 60 in 6.14 seconds?? Slow?