2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013-2014 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/18, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Judiesel57
I'm sorry I didn't know because it's some people out there who will make fun of and down people who dont know alot about cars
and I'm trying to find an 8 speed or a 10 speed that can go into it properly because I just cant stick any old transmission in it do you have any suggestions on a 8 or 10 speed transmission I can put in a 13-14 GT mustang
Old 9/22/18, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Wasn't bein' anything. I truly am advising you to go out there and do that. I want to see you do it. If you think I was anything other than genuine in my aspriations to have you build Unicorn Mystique Jones the First, you are mistaken.

I personally think it'd be amazing. And I am honest when I say if I had the means and a shop, I would *absolutely* do this. Directly because I absolutely *could*. And would want to...

Well, except maybe the steam engine direct drive thing.

... I'd go gas-electric, like a diesel-electric train is.

And maybe I might not use Emberglo, but Screaming Yellow...

But I can't. Reasons(tm).

So I want you to do it for me. I totally wanna see it. And man, you would learn *so much* doing this project.

But that's ok. Stick an 8 speed in it, nobody will know that's even in there, but you will, and that's all that counts, I suppose.
and I'm trying to find an 8 speed or a 10 speed that can go into it properly because I just cant stick any old transmission in it do you have any suggestions on a 8 or 10 speed transmission I can put in a 13-14 GT mustang
Old 9/22/18, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok, in all seriousness (and I'm still serious about Unicorn Mystique there, mind):

So what you'll wanna do is source a wrecked 2018 or 2019 Mustang GT with the 10 speed automatic 10R80 transmission. Specifically. You're gonna need the entire engine and transmission from that, and *all* its computers and wiring harness. You're likely also maybe gonna need the smart junction box, the body computer, and the instrument cluster 'cause they all communicate with each other. It's a mess, but that's the deal. And you'll be pioneering the whole dang thing, so be prepared to buy extras as you blow them out or something...

You'll then have to remove the 2013-14 GT's current 5.0 and transmission (to which, if I were doing this, I'd get the automatic so I didn't have to mess with the manual's stuff being removed/replaced) and then install the '18-19 5.0 and transmission into the '13-14. You'll have to figure out the wiring harnesses and computers too, and there may be the biggest bugaboo of the entire mess. You need those computers to work the transmission, which is the whole point, so you can't just rewire it in or run without the computer. Oh, and a custom driveshaft is mandatory.

And it may still not work in your body because transmission hump issues.

For a manual... well, a bit silly, but ok, MAYBE a Eaton Fuller Lightning 10 speed for a medium-big rig can be figured out, but I don't know how. I don't think the transmission hump'll like it much, the bellhousing would be a fun project, the driveshaft would have to be custom too. Not sure how you'd do the shifter while I'm at it. Heck, might have to do a column shift because the floor shifter wouldn't work at all...

In other words, it'd be easier to do my oddity project than this idea, IMO. All mine are bolt ons and simple welding tricks and paint. Nothing to actually change what the car *is*, just how it looks and maybe drives on the road... or off! I mean, it's lifted, go wandering the country! And stick a winch on it, one of those which can be put on the front or back as needed... Whereas this 8 or 10 speed project, with the transmissions all computerized, is a wiring nightmare that will pretty much not pass a lot of state inspections and make it a trailer queen at best. Or it'll just not fit because they don't make a manual for the car sized.

So yeah, I'm still saying in all seriousness (as I said up there) you need to do Unicorn Mystique Jones the First, by far. Much easier and waymore fun.

---

Ok, so then I had this very strange thought hit right as I was about to click 'post'...

IF, and I'm being really really out there with this idea... IF you could somehow rewire/figure out the 10R80 transmission so you could *fake* it like a manual... Like, if you used actual toggle on/off switches to actuate each gear? If they have electrical gear engagement that is... But IF this a case where a direct +/- connection will engage first, second, etc.. then it's a relatively simple thing to then create a manual transmission shifter mechanism that would actuate switches as you shifted the gears... or you could use an arduino or something to make paddle shifters work, and make your own electronic transmission control... You'd still have to have a manual transmission engine computer, so a 6 speed GT would be in order for the recipient of the new 'manumatic' transmission, but it *could* be done....

...nah, go with Unicorn Mystique. Serious. Or another such idea.

...still. This now has potential if it could be done...

Last edited by houtex; 9/22/18 at 05:40 PM.
Old 9/22/18, 05:54 PM

Ok, in all seriousness (and I'm still serious about Unicorn Mystique there, mind):

So what you'll wanna do is source a wrecked 2018 or 2019 Mustang GT with the 10 speed automatic 10R80 transmission. Specifically. You're gonna need the entire engine and transmission from that, and *all* its computers and wiring harness. You're likely also maybe gonna need the smart junction box, the body computer, and the instrument cluster 'cause they all communicate with each other. It's a mess, but that's the deal. And you'll be pioneering the whole dang thing, so be prepared to buy extras as you blow them out or something...

You'll then have to remove the 2013-14 GT's current 5.0 and transmission (to which, if I were doing this, I'd get the automatic so I didn't have to mess with the manual's stuff being removed/replaced) and then install the '18-19 5.0 and transmission into the '13-14. You'll have to figure out the wiring harnesses and computers too, and there may be the biggest bugaboo of the entire mess. You need those computers to work the transmission, which is the whole point, so you can't just rewire it in or run without the computer. Oh, and a custom driveshaft is mandatory.

For a manual... well, a bit silly, but ok, MAYBE a Eaton Fuller Lightning 10 speed for a medium-big rig can be figured out, but I don't know how. I don't think the transmission hump'll like it much, the bellhousing would be a fun project, the driveshaft would have to be custom too. Not sure how you'd do the shifter while I'm at it. Heck, might have to do a column shift because the floor shifter wouldn't work at all...

In other words, it'd be easier to do my oddity project than this idea, IMO. All mine are bolt ons and simple welding tricks and paint. Nothing to actually change what the car *is*, just how it looks and maybe drives on the road... or off! I mean, it's lifted, go wandering the country! And stick a winch on it, one of those which can be put on the front or back as needed... Whereas this 8 or 10 speed project, with the transmissions all computerized, is a wiring nightmare that will pretty much not pass a lot of state inspections and make it a trailer queen at best. Or it'll just not fit because they don't make a manual for the car sized.

So yeah, I'm still saying in all seriousness (as I said up there) you need to do Unicorn Mystique Jones the First, by far. Much easier and waymore fun.

---

Ok, so then I had this very strange thought hit right as I was about to click 'post'...

IF, and I'm being really really out there with this idea... IF you could somehow rewire/figure out the 10R80 transmission so you could *fake* it like a manual... Like, if you used actual toggle on/off switches to actuate each gear? If they have electrical gear engagement that is... But IF this a case where a direct +/- connection will engage first, second, etc.. then it's a relatively simple thing to then create a manual transmission shifter mechanism that would actuate switches as you shifted the gears... or you could use an arduino or something to make paddle shifters work, and make your own electronic transmission control... You'd still have to have a manual transmission engine computer, so a 6 speed GT would be in order for the recipient of the new 'manumatic' transmission, but it *could* be done....

ok wow thanks for all the info man you are being very helpful
Old 9/22/18, 05:55 PM

---

what about a 7 speed dual clutch and which 1 do you think I should get if I go that route or an 8 speed auto
Old 9/22/18, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Anything that's not stock or known direct replacement (see T56 Magnum XL transmission complete swap kit for 2005-2010s) of such a large difference of item (transmission, motor) will likely need a lot of figuring out, metal work, wiring work, possible omputer futzing, definitely linkage/suspension/driveline configuration, possibly exhaust changes....

In my 'professional' opinion... unless you are fully stocked, serviced, technically trained and specialized in the car computers and everything, literally everything to do with how the car works in every way and are ready for a months (read it again: MonthS) long project...

Don't. Just... don't.

But if you are, then whatever you decide, why you askin' us?

I suspect you're not because you're asking us instead of going forth and proving awesomeness.

So with that longwinded diatribe... you need to do what you want, and leave us out of it. YOU have to do it. YOU get to make the decisions. So get to it. Or don't. Completely up to you.

Hence... Unicorn Mystique is still my call. But you can tone it down if you want, not sayin' you have to do *all* those things...

/Stacks are mandatory tho.
Old 9/22/18, 10:42 PM

Anything that's not stock or known direct replacement (see T56 Magnum XL transmission complete swap kit for 2005-2010s) of such a large difference of item (transmission, motor) will likely need a lot of figuring out, metal work, wiring work, possible omputer futzing, definitely linkage/suspension/driveline configuration, possibly exhaust changes....

In my 'professional' opinion... unless you are fully stocked, serviced, technically trained and specialized in the car computers and everything, literally everything to do with how the car works in every way and are ready for a months (read it again: MonthS) long project...

Don't. Just... don't.

But if you are, then whatever you decide, why you askin' us?

I suspect you're not because you're asking us instead of going forth and proving awesomeness.

So with that longwinded diatribe... you need to do what you want, and leave us out of it. YOU have to do it. YOU get to make the decisions. So get to it. Or don't. Completely up to you.

Hence... Unicorn Mystique is still my call. But you can tone it down if you want, not sayin' you have to do *all* those things...

ok I will thank you for all your help
Old 9/23/18, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Throw a Cummins 5.0 V8 in it out of a wrecked Nissan XD Titan truck ... the car would still be a "Mustang 5.0"
Old 9/23/18, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't bein' anything. I truly am advising you to go out there and do that. I want to see you do it. If you think I was anything other than genuine in my aspriations to have you build Unicorn Mystique Jones the First, you are mistaken.

I personally think it'd be amazing. And I am honest when I say if I had the means and a shop, I would *absolutely* do this. Directly because I absolutely *could*. And would want to...

Well, except maybe the steam engine direct drive thing.

... I'd go gas-electric, like a diesel-electric train is.

And maybe I might not use Emberglo, but Screaming Yellow...

But I can't. Reasons(tm).

So I want you to do it for me. I totally wanna see it. And man, you would learn *so much* doing this project.

But that's ok. Stick an 8 speed in it, nobody will know that's even in there, but you will, and that's all that counts, I suppose.

no a better option:

nuclear powered rocket very unique and takes care of tailgaters.

No seriously, what you do to your car will be something you remember for the rest of your life. I still reminisce about a dune buggy I had while in college and rebuilt the engine on, amongst other things. Best of luck to you and keep us up on how it goes. Perhaps a thread on the project, from small start to bigger steps could help things along.
Old 9/23/18, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Oh man, this thread got out of control fast. Wow!

In all seriousness, and to the point houtex was trying to make. Unless you're willing to spend $15k on the entire powertrain and 75% of the drive-train out of a 2018-19 car what you're talking about makes very little financial sense. First of all there are physical dimension issues where the new stuff may not fit in place of the old stuff. If the 8 speed trans is longer then the driveshaft of the '18 may be shorten than '13 unit for example. Then there are network communication issues, like in 11-14 cars max range of the message carrying current gear is likely limited to physical value of 6. 8 may be out of range. So you may need to have to build a can database gateway between the 18-19 model year CAN database and 11-14 database. Not easy. Possible but not easy. Either way, whn all said and done you could have paid for new '19 Mustang. So I would say this is an interesting project, but ill advised financially.
Old 9/23/18, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

---

Post of the Year on this Forum. ??????????
Old 9/23/18, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'll take it, sure! POTY goes to.... houtex!
Old 9/23/18, 09:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Judiesel57
ok I will thank you for all your help
Awe. Some. Can't wait to see them stacks!