2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013-2014 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/18, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013-2014 mustang gt

Can you put an 8 speed automatic transmission in a 2013-2014 Mustang Gt and if you can which 8 speed automatic transmission would be the best.
Old 8/14/18, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Judiesel57
Can you put an 8 speed automatic transmission in a 2013-2014 Mustang Gt and if you can which 8 speed automatic transmission would be the best.
I would doubt it. Ford's 8-speed automatic isn't a RWD application, though the new 10-speed is. Regardless, swapping out automatic transmissions would be crazy expensive. Why do you want to do that?
Old 8/14/18, 11:43 AM

I was just curious on if you could because I'm thinking of getting a 2013 or 2014 gt and wanted to build my own unique version of the car that's all
Old 8/14/18, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I would doubt it. Ford's 8-speed automatic isn't a RWD application, though the new 10-speed is. Regardless, swapping out automatic transmissions would be crazy expensive. Why do you want to do that?
what about an audi rwd 8 speed transmission would that work in a mustang
Old 8/15/18, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why limit yourself to an Audi transmission in a Ford? You might try using a Bugatti Veyron 7-speed dual clutch setup with paddle shifters to be different.

Have you considered that modern automatic transmissions are computer controlled and that your PCM is not equipped to control a transmission that has a different number of speeds? It's not just a case of finding something that physically fits and can be bolted up to the engine.
Old 8/15/18, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Why limit yourself to an Audi transmission in a Ford? You might try using a Bugatti Veyron 7-speed dual clutch setup with paddle shifters to be different.

Have you considered that modern automatic transmissions are computer controlled and that your PCM is not equipped to control a transmission that has a different number of speeds? It's not just a case of finding something that physically fits and can be bolted up to the engine.
I never even thought of the 7 speed dual clutch and I know that the cpu in the 2014 mustangs cant handle that I was going to put another cpu in the car but all this is just speculation I'm just asking because I was curious if you could but I didnt know about the 7 speed dual clutch thats something to think about
Old 8/15/18, 10:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This guy is cracking me up; I just can't tell if he's trolling us or not.
Old 8/15/18, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
This guy is cracking me up; I just can't tell if he's trolling us or not.
I'm not I legitimately didnt know so I'm asking questions no trolling just doing my research before I buy something
Old 8/16/18, 06:19 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
These cars are very dependant on computers/software/sensors. Can what you ask be done? Maybe, but it is not like the old days where you could just swap in a new transmission and drive. The most feasible swap I can think of would be the new 10 speed in the 2018's. Even then, you would probably need the 2018's engine, CPU, and wiring harness. Then there's the issue of integrating that with the rest of the 2013-14 systems. If you really want more than 6 speeds, the 2013-14 is probably not a good starting point.
The following users liked this post:
kylerohde (8/16/18)
Old 8/16/18, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
These cars are very dependant on computers/software/sensors. Can what you ask be done? Maybe, but it is not like the old days where you could just swap in a new transmission and drive. The most feasible swap I can think of would be the new 10 speed in the 2018's. Even then, you would probably need the 2018's engine, CPU, and wiring harness. Then there's the issue of integrating that with the rest of the 2013-14 systems. If you really want more than 6 speeds, the 2013-14 is probably not a good starting point.
Yep, what he said. Even if it was possible, it would cost far more than would ever make it worth doing, IMO.
Old 8/16/18, 11:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
I gotta say that buying a 10spd tranny with all the other things that have to go with it to make it work, not even including cost of installation and computer reset, will cost you as much as another car. The 6 speeds in those cars are good trannys, and with a trans tune you can make it change a lot better.
Old 9/19/18, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
I gotta say that buying a 10spd tranny with all the other things that have to go with it to make it work, not even including cost of installation and computer reset, will cost you as much as another car. The 6 speeds in those cars are good trannys, and with a trans tune you can make it change a lot better.
ok thank you for the info
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (9/20/18)
Old 9/20/18, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
With enough "cubic dollars" you can put almost anything in anything. Back in the '60's E.J. Potter AKA "the Michigan Madman" put World War II aircraft engines in Dodge Dart station wagons and drag raced them. The real question is what price are you willing to pay for unique? The next question you should ask is, is unique better or just different?
Old 9/20/18, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by SilrBult
With enough "cubic dollars" you can put almost anything in anything. Back in the '60's E.J. Potter AKA "the Michigan Madman" put World War II aircraft engines in Dodge Dart station wagons and drag raced them. The real question is what price are you willing to pay for unique? The next question you should ask is, is unique better or just different?
wow I didn't know that and I will most definitely consider the price of what all goes into doing that
Old 9/22/18, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to be unique, keep the car for a long time in out of the box stock condition. One of the most appreciated "mods" is original and unrestored,
Old 9/22/18, 10:18 AM

Lol yea that's s possibility
Old 9/22/18, 10:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Judiesel57
I was just curious on if you could because I'm thinking of getting a 2013 or 2014 gt and wanted to build my own unique version of the car that's all
Oh, well if it's unique you want, get one of those 13-14 GTs, and then put a steam engine in it with a direct drive solution. That'll be unique.

Oooh! And while you're at it, gotta put that woody side panel trim on there.

Dude. You *totally* gotta get some swangas too.

And paint it Mollypop, with Plum Crazy and Emberglo flames.

And a 7 inch lift kit. With hydro.

Gotta do the lambo doors.

And stacks with the flappers. That'll be real nice with the steam comin' out.

And the piece de resistance.... four way non-power drum brakes. Be sure to paint the drums bright freakin' shiny red so people can see 'em and know you mean business.

Dude. Your GT would be *THE* uniquest one of them all. And of course, because it's that rare, you'd name it Unicorn Mystique Jones the First. A car like that would have to have a name like that.

Pics when you're done!

/I love living vicariously through others... I can do anything in my mind!

Last edited by houtex; 9/22/18 at 10:34 AM.
Old 9/22/18, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
Oh, well if it's unique you want, get one of those 13-14 GTs, and then put a steam engine in it with a direct drive solution. That'll be unique.

Oooh! And while you're at it, gotta put that woody side panel trim on there.

Dude. You *totally* gotta get some swangas too.

And paint it Mollypop, with Plum Crazy and Emberglo flames.

And a 7 inch lift kit. With hydro.

Gotta do the lambo doors.

And stacks with the flappers. That'll be real nice with the steam comin' out.

And the piece de resistance.... four way non-power drum brakes. Be sure to paint the drums bright freakin' shiny red so people can see 'em and know you mean business.

Dude. Your GT would be *THE* uniquest one of them all. And of course, because it's that rare, you'd name it Unicorn Mystique Jones the First. A car like that would have to have a name like that.

Pics when you're done!

/I love living vicariously through others... I can do anything in my mind!
yo man no need to be an ******* **** I was asking because I didnt know that's how you learn about stuff you ask questions got **** everybody else has been helpful and gave me useful advice no need for you to tell me **** I dont need dude
Old 9/22/18, 01:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Wasn't bein' anything. I truly am advising you to go out there and do that. I want to see you do it. If you think I was anything other than genuine in my aspriations to have you build Unicorn Mystique Jones the First, you are mistaken.

I personally think it'd be amazing. And I am honest when I say if I had the means and a shop, I would *absolutely* do this. Directly because I absolutely *could*. And would want to...

Well, except maybe the steam engine direct drive thing.

... I'd go gas-electric, like a diesel-electric train is.

And maybe I might not use Emberglo, but Screaming Yellow...

But I can't. Reasons(tm).

So I want you to do it for me. I totally wanna see it. And man, you would learn *so much* doing this project.

But that's ok. Stick an 8 speed in it, nobody will know that's even in there, but you will, and that's all that counts, I suppose.

Last edited by houtex; 9/22/18 at 01:54 PM.
Old 9/22/18, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Wasn't bein' anything. I truly am advising you to go out there and do that. I want to see you do it. If you think I was anything other than genuine in my aspriations to have you build Unicorn Mystique Jones the First, you are mistaken.

I personally think it'd be amazing. And I am honest when I say if I had the means and a shop, I would *absolutely* do this. Directly because I absolutely *could*. And would want to...

Well, except maybe the steam engine direct drive thing.

... I'd go gas-electric, like a diesel-electric train is.

And maybe I might not use Emberglo, but Screaming Yellow...

But I can't. Reasons(tm).

So I want you to do it for me. I totally wanna see it. And man, you would learn *so much* doing this project.

But that's ok. Stick an 8 speed in it, nobody will know that's even in there, but you will, and that's all that counts, I suppose.
I'm sorry I didn't know because it's some people out there who will make fun of and down people who dont know alot about cars

Quick Reply: 2013-2014 mustang gt