2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013/14 versus dearth of used

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/12, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013/14 versus dearth of used

I am currently serving in the middle east and placed an order through Overseas Military Sales for a 2013 V6 manual transmission in SGM with the Performance Pack Only. The pricing is good, but not untouchable from what I'm seeing out there (e.g. X-Plan, minus $1500 rebate, minus the $750 coupon). Since I won't be back in Charleston, SC until August, I will probably compare prices for the 2014 (with rebates and what have you) versus having my folks pick up the car for me in April (the latest they told me I could have a 2013 delivered) and sitting there rotting all summer. It is important to note that my $500 deposit is fully refundable either way.

My question is why can't I find very many 2011-2012 used V6 Perf. Pack cars out there for sale? Based on Edmunds / KBB / etc - a 2011 should sell for about $16K private party. I have never bought new cars for this reason (plummeting resale) - and I'm not picky (salvage title ok w/ price adjustment, color doesn't matter because none of them are particularly appealing, minor/tasteful mods are cool, etc). I check eBay, Autotrader, and the classified on here - but I just don't see them come up. Are the V6 PP that rare or am I looking in the wrong spots?
Old 12/25/12, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gnarsh_Darkwatch
I am currently serving in the middle east and placed an order through Overseas Military Sales for a 2013 V6 manual transmission in SGM with the Performance Pack Only. The pricing is good, but not untouchable from what I'm seeing out there (e.g. X-Plan, minus $1500 rebate, minus the $750 coupon). Since I won't be back in Charleston, SC until August, I will probably compare prices for the 2014 (with rebates and what have you) versus having my folks pick up the car for me in April (the latest they told me I could have a 2013 delivered) and sitting there rotting all summer. It is important to note that my $500 deposit is fully refundable either way.

My question is why can't I find very many 2011-2012 used V6 Perf. Pack cars out there for sale? Based on Edmunds / KBB / etc - a 2011 should sell for about $16K private party. I have never bought new cars for this reason (plummeting resale) - and I'm not picky (salvage title ok w/ price adjustment, color doesn't matter because none of them are particularly appealing, minor/tasteful mods are cool, etc). I check eBay, Autotrader, and the classified on here - but I just don't see them come up. Are the V6 PP that rare or am I looking in the wrong spots?
They are very rare cars! the option was only available for the end of the model year
But you could match the performance with after market pats pretty easily!
Old 12/25/12, 08:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I've never seen used 2011 v6 pp for as low as 16k.

That's a real bargain. I constantly keep up with their value because i don't want to find myself upside down again if I need a larger vehicle for my family. Depending on options and mileage, they sell for 18-22k. Perhaps, your seeing a private dealer who needs to sell ASAP?

I would make sure the car isn't high mileage, rental car, abused, or in an accident.

My 74 year old friend bought a used 11 with a clean title. However, the seller didn't mention the car was in an accident and never reported on insurance.
Old 12/25/12, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I know it's not totally accurate, but Edmunds has private party value of my 2012 V6 with only Performance Package a little above $19,600...and I am not adding in for the Ford Premium steering wheel I added, the Ford racing Mufflers, hood struts, etc. It does have under 3,500 miles and stored during winter which should add some value as well ( or at least I hope it does!!!)
Old 12/25/12, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio

That's a real bargain. I constantly keep up with their value because i don't want to find myself upside down again if I need a larger vehicle for my family. Depending on options and mileage, they sell for 18-22k. Perhaps, your seeing a private dealer who needs to sell ASAP?

I would make sure the car isn't high mileage, rental car, abused, or in an accident.
I would buy a high-mileage rental car as long as it hadn't been in an accident, but it wouldn't be a daily driver. It would be turned into a race/show car, and it most certainly wouldn't retain its original V6 drive train, nor it's computer systems...
Old 12/25/12, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
Yeah, I know it's not totally accurate, but Edmunds has private party value of my 2012 V6 with only Performance Package a little above $19,600...and I am not adding in for the Ford Premium steering wheel I added, the Ford racing Mufflers, hood struts, etc. It does have under 3,500 miles and stored during winter which should add some value as well ( or at least I hope it does!!!)
Your mods will add very little to the value of the car in relation to the value of the mods.
Old 12/25/12, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

Not for dealer trade, probably none at all, but can be used in bargaining with someone on a private party sale...
Old 12/25/12, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Of course the dealer will point out the upgrades when turning around and selling it...
Old 12/25/12, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
That was my point. I mean, my pricing is around $22K out the door on a 2013 (should be the same on a 2014), no way would I pay $20K for a used one - even though I have very little value (in my head) for new vs. used. Typical depreciation is about 30% in 2-3 years (for a domestic cars, it's worse on Swedish turds - don't ask me how I know this), but this does not seem to be the case.

Oh and as for your concerns about "wrecked" and "high mileage" cars - the most reliable cars I've had over the last 20 years have all been salvage/rebuilt titled - so that concerns me not one bit. I suppose if I had to finance / insure the car, it might matter though.
Old 12/25/12, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When did you order your car through Overseas Military Sales? The order banks for 2013 Mustang's closed in Oct, the 2014 order banks opened Nov 12th. If you want a new 2013 you will have to get one from a dealer that has one on the lot or one that is scheduled to be built.
Old 12/25/12, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
When did you order your car through Overseas Military Sales?
Late August. Non sequitur, I hate the black center thing in the back of the car between the taillights on the '13s-'14s, it limits the colors the car looks decent in. Has anyone painted theirs?

Speaking of paint - it's entirely too bad that they didn't/don't offer an orange (e.g. Volvo's Saffron) or even a purple (e.g. GM/Holden's Cosmos Pearl), but I submit if they did that would make my quest to find a deal on what I wanted even harder.

Interesting that the 5.0 Mustangs seem to drop in value percentage relative to the curve (see thread below about the 2011 loaded black premium GT with only 9K miles just bought from a dealership for $25K by pdx289), but the V6 PP's don't follow this curve?

Last edited by Gnarsh_Darkwatch; 12/25/12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12/25/12, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gnarsh_Darkwatch
Late August. Non sequitur, I hate the black center thing in the back of the car between the taillights on the '13s-'14s, it limits the colors the car looks decent in. Has anyone painted theirs?
From what I understand, the panel is not paintable, a vinyl overlay may be the way to go.

Speaking of paint - it's entirely too bad that they didn't/don't offer an orange (e.g. Volvo's Saffron) or even a purple (e.g. GM/Holden's Cosmos Pearl), but I submit if they did that would make my quest to find a deal on what I wanted even harder.
Deep Impact Blue is the closest your going to get to purple.
Old 12/25/12, 03:16 PM
GT Member

- there is a dearth of all brand late-MY used cars, and they are going for higher prices too (than a similar car the same age a few years ago would have); when the economy is rough, people keep their cars longer
- V6s are not bought in huge numbers with PP, compared to without
- you can add any of the PP items individually, factory or aftermarket parts, it's not a big deal and you could likely do as well for similar $$, start with the 3.31 IMO
- who the heck wants to get rid of their V6 PP, unless they upgrade to the GT etc.? It really is a very good modern-day "performance" daily driver.
- DIB changes color with the light, it looked very indigo-ish to me sometimes, which is kind of purple...

Last edited by cfraser; 12/25/12 at 03:17 PM.