Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013/14 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/08, 06:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013/14 Mustang

Lighter, smaller, and finally an independent **** end.
EcoBoost four and six cylinder turbocharged direct injected gas engines,
Ethanol Boost (ethanol boosted gas engines that deliver diesel-like fuel economy and power)

No more V8's...No more "factory" Shelbys, No more Special Editions that recall the past,
No more Retro (Global Design "teams" up early 2009 with US studio which already
has design mock up but not locked in)
To keep all this down in cost the Next Generation Mustang will be sold globally in left and right hand drives. Advanced safety features include inflatable safety belts.

FYI: The world faces a serious oil supply crunch within five to 10 years that may drive prices up to more than $200 a barrel by 2013, the world is expected to consume 94.1 million barrels per day. That's an average consumption growth of 1.6 percent a year. The agency predicts that "developing countries will drive demand growth, their total consumption equaling that of mature economies by 2015.
Attached Images  
Old 8/9/08, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a buzz kill..............

Old 8/9/08, 07:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you getting this information? No more V8? FUDGE!

Last edited by Boomer; 8/10/08 at 01:10 AM.
Old 8/9/08, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jahnnee5
What a buzz kill..............
....and completely 100% false.
Old 8/9/08, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch
Lighter, smaller, and finally an independent **** end.
EcoBoost four and six cylinder turbocharged direct injected gas engines,
Ethanol Boost (ethanol boosted gas engines that deliver diesel-like fuel economy and power)

No more V8's...No more "factory" Shelbys, No more Special Editions that recall the past,
No more Retro (Global Design "teams" up early 2009 with US studio which already
has design mock up but not locked in)
To keep all this down in cost the Next Generation Mustang will be sold globally in left and right hand drives. Advanced safety features include inflatable safety belts.

FYI: The world faces a serious oil supply crunch within five to 10 years that may drive prices up to more than $200 a barrel by 2013, the world is expected to consume 94.1 million barrels per day. That's an average consumption growth of 1.6 percent a year. The agency predicts that "developing countries will drive demand growth, their total consumption equaling that of mature economies by 2015.
So ...What you are saying .is to hang on to S197...... cause its a Dino?
Old 8/9/08, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Well, if all of that comes to fruition, my interest in new Mustangs likely will once again come to an end. The S197 was fun while it lasted...
Old 8/9/08, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Don't worry Jimp. Topnotch is smoking some wacky tabacky and is purely speculating.

Ford is not going to spend all this $ to develop a 5.0 for 2010.5 model year to kill it 2 yrs later.

Ford is busy figuring out how to make $ and re-organizing its lineup of other vehicles. Mustang is not the focus of the product development team right now. With the intro of the 2010 four months away, any $ on Mustang will be marketing and advertising.

Ford is re-working US truck plants to build the smaller high quality, fuel efficient Euro Focus, CMax, Kuga, etc. This is priority 1. Nothing has been decided on next-gen after the 2010. It would seem Ford has shifted away from the GRWD plans, so I wouldn't expect IRS- clearly the Mustang market has not demanded it, considering the success of the current model. If the 2010 does well against Camaro and Challenger, that will be the nail in the coffin for the expense of IRS. I expect they'll spend $ on more fuel efficient V6s and I-4s and lighter weight materials. I would always expect the V8 as an option, and as long as they can auction off Shelby Mustangs for $500K, expect they'll be a Shelby version of the Mustang. The question is whether it will a Ford-sold item or one by Shelby Automobiles ( i.e. like a Roush or Saleen ).

Originally Posted by Jimp
Where are you getting this information? No more V8? Fuuuuck!
Old 8/9/08, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Don't worry Jimp. Topnotch is smoking some wacky tabacky and is purely speculating.

Ford is not going to spend all this $ to develop a 5.0 for 2010.5 model year to kill it 2 yrs later.

Ford is busy figuring out how to make $ and re-organizing its lineup of other vehicles. Mustang is not the focus of the product development team right now. With the intro of the 2010 four months away, any $ on Mustang will be marketing and advertising.

Ford is re-working US truck plants to build the smaller high quality, fuel efficient Euro Focus, CMax, Kuga, etc. This is priority 1. Nothing has been decided on next-gen after the 2010. It would seem Ford has shifted away from the GRWD plans, so I wouldn't expect IRS- clearly the Mustang market has not demanded it, considering the success of the current model. If the 2010 does well against Camaro and Challenger, that will be the nail in the coffin for the expense of IRS. I expect they'll spend $ on more fuel efficient V6s and I-4s and lighter weight materials. I would always expect the V8 as an option, and as long as they can auction off Shelby Mustangs for $500K, expect they'll be a Shelby version of the Mustang. The question is whether it will a Ford-sold item or one by Shelby Automobiles ( i.e. like a Roush or Saleen ).
You make a lot of sense. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Whew, scared me for a sec there!
Old 8/9/08, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm always game for speculation. My take? (Hope you don't mind if I play too Top)

2012-2013 Mustang (I think it will come a bit earlier than most seem to)

IRS is a given, if I were a betting man I would place my wager on another iteration of Mac Struts up front (cheap to engineer and manufacture, easy to optimize, good use of space, and great steering feel make struts tough to beat up front....just ask BMW) and 'Control Blade' multi-link IRS out back for many of the same reasons.

'Retro' styling is almost certainly here to stay. Global design is coming, but certain models are apparently 'immune' and Mustang is on that list. Look for a 911-like theme of stylistic evolution to kick in and stick around indefinitely. I would also argue that we'll see 'factory' Shelby's indefinitely as well. Unless the bottom falls out Ford has no compelling reason to end production of the same unless usage of the name becomes a problem for other r3easons, which I think is unlikely. It is very likely that a GTDi four could become the base engine offering, but the continuation of V8 engines is more or less a certainty. If fuel prices become an issue V8's will simply become smaller.

Inflatable seat-belts as a replacement for airbags is long overdue, but these were under development and thought to be close to production when I was still with Johnson Controls....and that was ten years ago. I would love to see them but inflatable belts have led such a rough developmental life thus far I hate to even make a rough guesstimate here.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mustang sold globally when it goes onto GRWD. In fact, it;s long overdue.
Old 8/9/08, 10:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Nothing has been decided on next-gen after the 2010. It would seem Ford has shifted away from the GRWD plans, so I wouldn't expect IRS- clearly the Mustang market has not demanded it, considering the success of the current model.
As far as I can tell GRWD is still on, with the rumors of it's demise being just that. I'm sure it could be canceled, but I'm going to guess it would be very costly to do so at this stage in the game.
Old 8/9/08, 10:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds more like the development of a Capri... Or maybe they are trying to pulll another Probe...

Anyway, the Mustang should in fact adhere to the iconic looks that make it popular.. Like the way the Porsche 911 maintains it's evolutionary look so that it's recognizable and not mistaken for anything else. The Mustang will loose it's appeal if it strays from the heritage in design that it is famous for. You just can't slap a Mustang badge on just anything and expect people to accept it as such.

If Ford screws around with the Mustang the wrong way, the one I have will certainly be my last Ford. Other than the Mustang, Ford has nothing else I would ever consider buying. And I certainly would not buy another Mustang that didn't look like a Mustang. Thats why I never bought a Fox bodied Mustang that was made from 1979-93. It just had no visual appeal to me regardless of the resurrection of the 1982+ GT or not.
Old 8/10/08, 01:13 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
HIGHLY doubt the v8 will go away anytime soon.
Especially with all the work going into the next gen engines.

I could see them offering an alternative or to the lower end,
but they would be making a SERIOUS mistake getting rid of the 8...
Old 8/10/08, 03:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
On a brighter note, here's my hope for the future.

Ford sticks to the GRWD program and launches the all new Mustang in 2013. The styling takes inspiration from the '69 model year, with an overtly agressive look and an all new greenhouse, featuring a true fastback bodystyle and the rear side window adjacent to the door window, giving a true pillarless design.

Developed by SVT and powered by an uprated 425bhp 5 litre V8 and featuring IRS, the top factory Mustang is launched as a "Boss 302" model. Hot on it's heels is the standard V8, the Mach 1, pumping out 375 bhp from it's lower tuned V8. The 3.7 V6, with 325bhp, is now the entry level Mustang. The rumoured 4 cylinder Mustang doesn't see the light of day, as sales of the 4-pot Camaro have been a disaster.

The Shelby Mustangs continue, but are no longer a joint effort with Ford. The GT550 features a supercharged "Boss 302" engine, pumping out, you guessed it, 550 bhp. The GT350 features a tuned 3.7 v6, with 350 bhp.

The new platform has enabled Ford to spin off a number of exciting new models, to be sold in global markets. Following the Mustang, 2014 sees the launch of the Interceptor 4-door saloon and 5-door wagon. Available with all the engine options in the Mustang, the Interceptor proves a world-wide hit, being badged as the Falcon in Australia.

Late 2014 sees the re-introduction of the Thunderbird. Powered only by the 425bhp V8, the new 'Bird features gorgeous styling inspired by the Ford Forty-Nine concept. Looking more like a product of Foose Design, the new Thunderbird is aimed at a wealthier clientele, bored of their Jag XKs, BMW 6 series and Merc SLs. With a bespoke interior, featuring the finest materials, the Thunderbird is now a true halo car.

Foget reality, fantasy is so much better
Old 8/10/08, 08:49 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If they stick with their guns, reality will be MUCH sweeter....
Old 8/10/08, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not gonna happen. At least not in 2013. The next gen Mustang ain't scheduled until 2015.
Old 8/10/08, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
On a brighter note, here's my hope for the future.

Ford sticks to the GRWD program and launches the all new Mustang in 2013. The styling takes inspiration from the '69 model year, with an overtly agressive look and an all new greenhouse, featuring a true fastback bodystyle and the rear side window adjacent to the door window, giving a true pillarless design.

Developed by SVT and powered by an uprated 425bhp 5 litre V8 and featuring IRS, the top factory Mustang is launched as a "Boss 302" model. Hot on it's heels is the standard V8, the Mach 1, pumping out 375 bhp from it's lower tuned V8. The 3.7 V6, with 325bhp, is now the entry level Mustang. The rumoured 4 cylinder Mustang doesn't see the light of day, as sales of the 4-pot Camaro have been a disaster.

The Shelby Mustangs continue, but are no longer a joint effort with Ford. The GT550 features a supercharged "Boss 302" engine, pumping out, you guessed it, 550 bhp. The GT350 features a tuned 3.7 v6, with 350 bhp.

The new platform has enabled Ford to spin off a number of exciting new models, to be sold in global markets. Following the Mustang, 2014 sees the launch of the Interceptor 4-door saloon and 5-door wagon. Available with all the engine options in the Mustang, the Interceptor proves a world-wide hit, being badged as the Falcon in Australia.

Late 2014 sees the re-introduction of the Thunderbird. Powered only by the 425bhp V8, the new 'Bird features gorgeous styling inspired by the Ford Forty-Nine concept. Looking more like a product of Foose Design, the new Thunderbird is aimed at a wealthier clientele, bored of their Jag XKs, BMW 6 series and Merc SLs. With a bespoke interior, featuring the finest materials, the Thunderbird is now a true halo car.

Foget reality, fantasy is so much better
Wow. I really like your imagination. Too bad it's more than likely not going to happen. Would be fantastic if it did though. I really liked that '49 concept. If done right, it could easily surpass BMW, MB, Jag and others as a top luxury ride. I especially like the idea of a smooth quarter window w/o pillar. I've always loved the look of the '69 Boss for that reason. Mmm mmm good.
Old 8/10/08, 07:02 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I'm always game for speculation. My take? (Hope you don't mind if I play too Top)

2012-2013 Mustang (I think it will come a bit earlier than most seem to)

IRS is a given, if I were a betting man I would place my wager on another iteration of Mac Struts up front (cheap to engineer and manufacture, easy to optimize, good use of space, and great steering feel make struts tough to beat up front....just ask BMW) and 'Control Blade' multi-link IRS out back for many of the same reasons.

'Retro' styling is almost certainly here to stay. Global design is coming, but certain models are apparently 'immune' and Mustang is on that list. Look for a 911-like theme of stylistic evolution to kick in and stick around indefinitely. I would also argue that we'll see 'factory' Shelby's indefinitely as well. Unless the bottom falls out Ford has no compelling reason to end production of the same unless usage of the name becomes a problem for other r3easons, which I think is unlikely. It is very likely that a GTDi four could become the base engine offering, but the continuation of V8 engines is more or less a certainty. If fuel prices become an issue V8's will simply become smaller.

Inflatable seat-belts as a replacement for airbags is long overdue, but these were under development and thought to be close to production when I was still with Johnson Controls....and that was ten years ago. I would love to see them but inflatable belts have led such a rough developmental life thus far I hate to even make a rough guesstimate here.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mustang sold globally when it goes onto GRWD. In fact, it;s long overdue.
For once I agree with you. Though I'm not so sure about an indefinite run of Shelbys.
Old 8/10/08, 07:06 PM
Closet American

There isn't a chance in hell the post-2010 generation Stang will use SRA. At the very least, IRS will be an option, and more than likely, it will be standard across the line. Ford is currently making a move towards global production and higher tech; no way they will implement a pleistocene suspension in the Mustang in another six years, especially when Camaro and Challenger are using IRS right now.
Old 8/10/08, 08:22 PM
GT Member

I respectfully disagree. Converting all the truck plants to build the small euro Fords Fiesta/Focus/CMax/Kuga is top priority. Unless Ford can make $ on its volume product line, don't expect expensive upgrades- there is no way they can afford to put IRS into the 150,000 unit a year car. If F-150 at 1 million units a yr wasn't paying for it, F150 at 450,000 units a yr won't either.

The only chance is if Ford Asia/Pacific ( which the Aussie Falcon is part of ) makes enough cash to fund a sound business plan for a new Falcon. Right now, the Falcon platform is so ancient, only the Crown Vic is older. A new Mustang could pull the IRS out of the Falcon, if the suppliers are willing to give Ford a break on volume discount. Otherwise, there are no other RWD cars onto which the Mustang could piggyback upon. Look, the focus ( no pun intended ) is going away from RWD performance to fuel efficiency, light weight, etc etc. All that development and materials costs $. The Mustang-Camaro-Challenger wars are more about brand loyalty ( think Calvin peeing on the logo of your choice ) and locker-room "mine is bigger than yours" horsepower. If the 2010 sales holds it own against its new competition, I don't see any sound business reason to develop a Mustang specific IRS just because Camaro and Challenger have it...as much as we might think its the right thing to do, Ford has a lot more on its plate right now.

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
There isn't a chance in hell the post-2010 generation Stang will use SRA. At the very least, IRS will be an option, and more than likely, it will be standard across the line. Ford is currently making a move towards global production and higher tech; no way they will implement a pleistocene suspension in the Mustang in another six years, especially when Camaro and Challenger are using IRS right now.
Old 8/10/08, 08:52 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Not gonna happen. At least not in 2013. The next gen Mustang ain't scheduled until 2015.
+1 As I've mentioned in past threads, Ford isn't about to bring out it's all new Mustang with just 2 years remaining, before reaching it's 50th anniversary.

That being said, expect the 2015 to be launched in April of 2014 !

Quick Reply: 2013/14 Mustang