Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 Mustang GT Power Passenger Seat Does Not Move Back

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/17, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mustang GT Power Passenger Seat Does Not Move Back

Hello everyone,

My passenger seat in my 2012 Mustang GT does not move backwards anymore. The power seat will move forward and pivot in all the other directions. It just won't move back! When I press the power seat switch back, it makes no noise at all to go back.

I was quoted $760 to fix it at the dealership. That was after I paid $190 just for the initial inspection. I have a strong suspicion that I am being taken for a ride. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please help!
Old 11/23/17, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The problem is likely the switch, not the motor or the track or anything else. The seat moves back and forth with one motor. That same motor and mechanism, if it works one way, is likely not going the other way because the switch is not making contact.

This happened on my '06, and getting a new switch for it solved the problem. It was the reverse issue, the seat would not go forward, but went back no problem. Replaced switch, all is well.

This is no guarantee, but a switch is not all that expensive, definitely not in comparison to that very high quote (IMO). They are $100 at Rock Auto, and they are the same left or right, apparently. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...at+switch,4612

Now, the $200 for inspection... at labor rates, an hour at a dealership is probably around that, so sure. The $760 to fix it is IF, and I want to be clear on this, IF they are replacing the switch AND the seat track in one fell swoop, because they parts are less than that. As you see, the switch is nothing, and the seat track can be had by a dealer for $400. It's about an hour, so that $760 sounds right... but it's probably not needed.

By the way, they *inspected* this and said what it was, right? They didn't say "yep, it's definitely broken" and not give you an idea of what it's going to take to fix it? I mean... why in the world would they take $200 to say "sure thing, you got it right, it's broken as described."

THAT seems wrong.

Buy the switch. It's nothing to replace it. Bet it fixes it. Hope that helps! And welcome to the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 11/23/17 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (12/1/17)
Old 11/28/17, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
There are existing threads covering this issue in a lot more detail, but the price you’re being quoted is correct or at least concurrent with others have paid, including me. That covers replacing the entire track, as Ford doesn’t do individual parts for it, or at least they didn’t when I got mine fixed 2-3 years ago.
Old 11/28/17, 10:48 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Houtex is correct I believe. The same motor that moves it backwards also moves it forwards. If the common gear failure had occured, it would not go forward as well. I also feel like it is the switch.