2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2012 mustang GT, which mods?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/11, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say you should put a whipple on with smaller pulley, long tubes, x pipe, custom dyno tune, different injectors, JLT cold air intake, gears, one range colder spark plugs, aftermarket wheels and tires, lowering springs, pan hard bar and.....that's it I guess.
Old 9/26/11, 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
+ 1 I love my Roush AB's.

Check my videos.

They sound soooooo friggin goooooooooood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xk62...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkgg...e_gdata_player
installing the roush axel backs don't require a tune right? what does it do other than make the car sound better? like do you gain hp/torque, lose torque? cause i know sometimes changing it messes with the back pressure or something
Old 9/26/11, 12:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
installing the roush axel backs don't require a tune right? what does it do other than make the car sound better? like do you gain hp/torque, lose torque? cause i know sometimes changing it messes with the back pressure or something
It makes your car sound like pure sex. Other than that, no gains/losses.
Old 9/26/11, 08:41 AM
V6 Member

I think there might be some mis-information here. If you install a FRPP power pack which includes a tune, a Ford dealer has to install the tune within the first 1000 miles of ownership in order to maintain the 3 year - 36000 mile warranty on the engine. The 5 year 60000 mile warranty goes away. Also Ford can now detect if a tune has been installed then removed. This is what has kept me from installing a tune in my car.
Old 9/26/11, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blk12vert
I think there might be some mis-information here. If you install a FRPP power pack which includes a tune, a Ford dealer has to install the tune within the first 1000 miles of ownership in order to maintain the 3 year - 36000 mile warranty on the engine. The 5 year 60000 mile warranty goes away. Also Ford can now detect if a tune has been installed then removed. This is what has kept me from installing a tune in my car.
Where are you getting your information from? Not saying it's entirely false but I made sure my warranty wouldn't be violated by my FR pro-cal and I even have it in writing from the dealer. Also, mine was installed by me @ 6k (hard to screw up an install that involves plugging in and waiting 15 minutes) It's irrelevant now cuz I have a new tune and many mods like catless LTs planned before I even cross 20k, but I'm not too sure about this info... It definitely wasn't the case in my situation (although I'm on a first name/cell call basis w/ my service mngr.) It just seems unrealistic that if you had a ford tune on your ford car under ford warranty, and something happened... It's highly unlikely they'll blame the tune for an issue. Pretty sure my lawyer would love for that to happen. And they can ALWAYS tell if you've tuned your 5.0... I've seen some posts (not yours) that say they can't tell after a certain number of miles... BS... Easy find
Old 9/26/11, 11:04 AM
V6 Member

Directly from the Ford Racing web site........

"Unlike many of our competitors, all Ford Racing Power Upgrade Packages are 50 state emissions legal and eligible for limited warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury Dealer"

My understanding is that Ford Racing is a separate company from Ford and takes over the 3/36000 warranty on the engine. It's great if you get a dealer that will work with you but that's not always the case.
Old 9/26/11, 11:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Directly from the Ford Racing web site........

"Unlike many of our competitors, all Ford Racing Power Upgrade Packages are 50 state emissions legal and eligible for limited warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury Dealer"

My understanding is that Ford Racing is a separate company from Ford and takes over the 3/36000 warranty on the engine. It's great if you get a dealer that will work with you but that's not always the case.
I recommend you speak with your dealer and ask them their thoughts on FRPP parts before you spend the money. As I've mentioned in countless threads, one thing that they do with those parts is put them through certifications identical to an OEM part. They have to pass Ford's quality control tests to be sold as an FRPP part.

The reason I recommend the tune is simple; it's inexpensive, and it works. You don't have to add anything other than the K&N filter (which comes with the kit) and the car drives totally different than stock. Plus, it eliminates skip-shift, which IMO is one of the biggest nuisances on the MT82 (if equipped).
Old 9/26/11, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

AB's will not require a tune.

They provide maybe a couple extra horses but it's mainly to just make the car sound better (hence why a tune will not be needed)
Old 9/26/11, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur

And they can ALWAYS tell if you've tuned your 5.0... I've seen some posts (not yours) that say they can't tell after a certain number of miles... BS... Easy find
I totally disagree and think you're mistaken due to the scare tactics used by Ford. Several tuners have said that tune historys are overwritten after X amount of driving. My buddy also has a 11' 5.0 and has an aggressive 93 tune only. He puts it back to stock every time he goes to the dealer (no cai exhaust etc) for service ; never an issue . There is an ungodly amount of information that goes through the pcm and continuously overwritten with new information from the present drive cycles . If you decided to put your car back to stock at 10k miles and it went kaboom at 25k, there is NO way that a tune history would be in the pcm from 15k miles ago . Tune your cars!!
Attached Thumbnails 2012 mustang GT, which mods?-283028_2194048448100_1153835331_2566885_5929404_n.jpg  
Old 9/26/11, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT

I totally disagree and think you're mistaken due to the scare tactics used by Ford. Several tuners have said that tune historys are overwritten after X amount of driving. My buddy also has a 11' 5.0 and has an aggressive 93 tune only. He puts it back to stock every time he goes to the dealer (no cai exhaust etc) for service ; never an issue . There is an ungodly amount of information that goes through the pcm and continuously overwritten with new information from the present drive cycles . If you decided to put your car back to stock at 10k miles and it went kaboom at 25k, there is NO way that a tune history would be in the pcm from 15k miles ago . Tune your cars!!
Not what I hear from my guy but hey, I'm a cartard so my qualifications on this subject are limited. My moto is **** the warranty and mod the car!!!! But the techs at my dealer say they can tell... Over my head perhaps. This dude needs to get the steeda ultimate induction pak while it's still on sale!

Last edited by Kona Blur; 9/26/11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 12:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012GT, you love showing off your car, don't you? I swear you post more pictures of it than anyone else on here.

There are ways that Ford, maybe not the dealers, can tell if the car has been tuned. In case you didn't read the "aftermarket tune TSB", it spells out pretty easily what to look for. Now, I don't know if, on the other hand, taking the tune off will set all of the parameters back to original.

I'm not familiar enough with the software that the dealers use to know what/if it can see on the ECU. I know that Ford has the ability to simply "plug in", without knowing processor code, engine type, etc. and apply changes. The ProCal and X3 do not have that ability.
Old 9/26/11, 12:50 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Directly from the Ford Racing web site.........
Hi guys,

I also recommend you always speak to your Ford dealer about FRPP prior to adding them to your vehicle. Here is the warranty info on FRPP: http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp. I’m happy to see you guys are loving your rides!

Deysha
Old 9/29/11, 10:30 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT

Originally Posted by Kona Blur

Not what I hear from my guy but hey, I'm a cartard so my qualifications on this subject are limited. My moto is **** the warranty and mod the car!!!! But the techs at my dealer say they can tell... Over my head perhaps. This dude needs to get the steeda ultimate induction pak while it's still on sale!
I'm sure you saw the other thread kona but I just wanted to make sure you were fully aware that we can detect the aftermarket tunes for the full life of the vehicle.

Personally I think the aftermarket tunes are safe now so I would consider it. Just depends what you want with your car
Old 9/29/11, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford will always be able to tell if the car has been tuned regardless of milage. I've read threads of people setting their car back to stock for warrenty work and the dealer told them they couldn't do the work under warrenty because the car had been tuned.

I agree with Kona Blur. Mod the cars and **** the warrenty. These are Mustangs. Enjoy them all day, everyday.
Old 9/29/11, 10:48 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Ford will always be able to tell if the car has been tuned regardless of milage. I've read threads of people setting their car back to stock for warrenty work and the dealer told them they couldn't do the work under warrenty because the car had been tuned.

I agree with Kona Blur. Mod the cars and **** the warrenty. These are Mustangs. Enjoy them all day, everyday.
Same here. Mine is out of warranty (by a long shot) and I've modded pretty heavy on it. Even if it was under warranty I don't think I would change a thing. I love how it looks and sounds now.
Old 9/29/11, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm debating between the Roush axel back and the GT500 axel back. Both don't require a tune, the GT500 AB is $400 less than the Roush. I know the GT500 AB is a simple bolt on installation, no drilling or anything, is the Roush also a simple bolt on? I'm planning to have my local shop do it for $60
Old 9/29/11, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

I'm debating between the Roush axel back and the GT500 axel back. Both don't require a tune, the GT500 AB is $400 less than the Roush. I know the GT500 AB is a simple bolt on installation, no drilling or anything, is the Roush also a simple bolt on? I'm planning to have my local shop do it for $60
Yes the Roush ABs are the same thing, more like a simple clamp no bolts

If you want louder go for the Roush, for some people (especially me, I found the Gt 500 were going to be tlk quiet for me)

Last edited by DaSFGiants4Life; 9/29/11 at 12:48 PM.
Old 9/29/11, 02:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishAmericanMustang
ROUSH axelbacks

DO IT

I hemmed and hawed about this for months, and finally got them installed today. Awesome. Perfect in every way. Every 5.0 should come with these STOCK.

Do it, or I WILL COME SLAP YOU.

This is the correct answer!

To expand: The Roush ABs are the very first thing you should do to the car. Since I've gotten mine, almost everyone at work has come to me and told me how good it sounds. People I don't even know, old women, guys who are into rice rockets. People have sought me out wanting to know who drives that sweet sounding Stang. At first i thought it was too loud, now I think it's perfect. You will love them.

Last edited by Thomas S; 9/29/11 at 03:02 PM.
Old 9/29/11, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Yes the Roush ABs are the same thing, more like a simple clamp no bolts

If you want louder go for the Roush, for some people (especially me, I found the Gt 500 were going to be tlk quiet for me)
So add the FRPP Bolt In X-Pipe....it keeps the cats but it will make the tone a bit louder! That's my plan anyway....add the GT500's now. Then down the Rd switch out the Mid-Pipe & delete the resonators.
Old 9/29/11, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

The frp tune takes away your 3/36 and gives you a 1/12 k if installed at the dealer on the tune or anything it could cause to go worng thats from the ford racing site and my dealer wont warr any car that even has axel backs or cai or Anything there verry srtict because fomoco dosent like paying claims . Its nightmare

Quick Reply: 2012 mustang GT, which mods?