2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 GT Mods - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/22, 09:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 GT Mods - Worth it?

Hey guys. I was going thru all the things I've done to my 2012 GT and realized it's a hell of a lot of money.

I bought it 5 years ago and dropped almost 7K on a variety of things. I also have a huge of list of what I want to do to it still.

However, I'm starting to think that I could be throwing money away. It's just a plain GT not even a premium.

Yes it's in mint condition and looks and drives excellent. But with say another 5K in mods I think I'm being unreasonable.

I am starting to think that it may just be better to sell it and buy something more modern? I know it won't be a Shelby or anything like that but still.

I dream about a supercharger and new wheels, but right there is 12K on top of the 7K I already spent on it.

Is it worth it? Even if go to sell it, I'll never get any of this money back. (BTW, blue book value 17k????, I paid 29K)

I'm thinking I should just leave it as it is now.

Thoughts or opinions?

TIA.
Old 8/11/22, 10:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
do it if it makes you happy; but I would not look at it as an "investment" -- generally mods do not add to the value of the car for resale, in most cases they reduce the value since people are suspicious of modifications and would rather have an "unmolested" car to start with

depending on mileage and condition, they are going in the mid 20's these days; $17K is more like a pre-pandemic price / value
The following 3 users liked this post by Bert:
dusman59 (8/11/22), m05fastbackGT (8/17/22), NC14GT (8/17/22)
Old 8/17/22, 11:01 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,138 Likes on 817 Posts

Just like Bert says... This will not make your car worth a whole lot more. Most non-car people out there will shy away from cars that have been modified. It makes them nervous and the don't want something that is messed with. Many feel it makes a car less trust worthy. So it will likely be harder to find a buyer that likes what you have done to the car and is willing to pay for your additions. But if you are patient there are people out there that will appreciate you enhancements.

As to whether you should do it or not will never make financial sense and there is never a dollar for dollar return on the additions. It is more about will it make the car more enjoyable to you. Are you going to keep it long enough to feel like you got the return out of your time and money.

I too want to keep adding but I just can't get myself to cough up the big money to take it further. i.e. Supercharger, better shifter, and a few other racing type enhancements. My car is not raced, or even tracked, but I want to have one that could be competitive if it were. So since mine is just a toy that sees light use, I would probably look for something newer if you want change, or be happy with what you have and enjoy. Or if you have the time and money then go for it knowing it is not an investment.
The following 3 users liked this post by shaneyusa:
Bert (8/17/22), m05fastbackGT (8/17/22), NC14GT (8/17/22)
Old 8/17/22, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Tastful mods are ok! And thats a thin line. I say save up some cash and find the best 2018 or better gt. You will never look back
Old 8/17/22, 04:03 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Just a heads up OP! KBB doesn't take into consideration that used car prices have appreciated due to the semi conductor chip shortage... Therefore, if you consider selling your 2012 GT, now would be the right time if your looking to upgrade towards a newer S550 Coyote model
Old 8/18/22, 08:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks guys. I know that the mods will not make it worth more, that doesn't bother me. But I think sinking even more money into it probably isn't good.

If I was going to get another I'd go for a 500 or Shelby. Then there is the uhhh, wife issue too so.

I just wanted some more HP. Everything now is 500+. That's why I want to charge it and I think that would do it but it's a ton of cash.

I have a Bama tune so I'm thinking it *could* be something like 450 HP? Or am I way over lol?

BTW, would it be worth it to seek out another tuner? I hear Bama is the worst, I didn't know back then.

I hear Lund is good and others. Could I squeeze out another say another 20HP by going with someone else?

@shaneyusa "My car is not raced, or even tracked, but I want to have one that could be competitive if it were"

That's exactly my sentiment as well...
The following users liked this post:
shaneyusa (8/18/22)
Old 8/18/22, 09:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
I think you are being a bit optimistic with the 450 guesstimate and sincerely doubt any tune would squeeze out another 20; there just isn't that much magic available to be had
Old 8/18/22, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
412? before the 50 hp lost through the drive train?
Old 8/27/22, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmsys
Thanks guys. I know that the mods will not make it worth more, that doesn't bother me. But I think sinking even more money into it probably isn't good.

If I was going to get another I'd go for a 500 or Shelby. Then there is the uhhh, wife issue too so.

I just wanted some more HP. Everything now is 500+. That's why I want to charge it and I think that would do it but it's a ton of cash.

I have a Bama tune so I'm thinking it *could* be something like 450 HP? Or am I way over lol?

BTW, would it be worth it to seek out another tuner? I hear Bama is the worst, I didn't know back then.

I hear Lund is good and others. Could I squeeze out another say another 20HP by going with someone else?

@shaneyusa "My car is not raced, or even tracked, but I want to have one that could be competitive if it were"

That's exactly my sentiment as well...
What would you do with the car if it had 500 hp that you're not doing with it now? It sounds more like you're bored with the car and looking for something to change that but if you don't race it, it's just a way to spin your tires more at a stoplight. Use that 7k and fund a couple seasons of autocrossing; that's the cheapest way to go racing and there's almost no chance you'll do any significant harm to the car. Go to a high-performance driving school so you are better equipped to take full advantage of the power you have now. Take a trip to a part of the country that has great driving roads like eastern Tennessee/western North Carolina.
Old 8/28/22, 07:14 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Just a heads up OP! KBB doesn't take into consideration that used car prices have appreciated due to the semi conductor chip shortage... Therefore, if you consider selling your 2012 GT, now would be the right time if your looking to upgrade towards a newer S550 Coyote model
I believe they just changed their formula or thinking, whichever it is. Very recently too. Perhaps June.
When I started my search for my Mustang I plugged in my '07 GT/CS value as a 'trade-in' and it originally showed $8,700. I knew I would be selling it privately as it was worth at least low teens, at the minimum, in this market. When I found my 2014 GT I tried plugging the value in again and it was $13,000 this time.. What a difference. I now had leverage at the dealership so we drove it up there and it all worked out. Saved taxes by using a trade-in and we could drive back together instead of separate cars.

Last edited by NC14GT; 8/28/22 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 8/28/22, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
What would you do with the car if it had 500 hp that you're not doing with it now? It sounds more like you're bored with the car and looking for something to change that but if you don't race it, it's just a way to spin your tires more at a stoplight. Use that 7k and fund a couple seasons of autocrossing; that's the cheapest way to go racing and there's almost no chance you'll do any significant harm to the car. Go to a high-performance driving school so you are better equipped to take full advantage of the power you have now. Take a trip to a part of the country that has great driving roads like eastern Tennessee/western North Carolina.
Now we're talking. Even then you can't use all that power on the 'twisties'. Tail of the Dragon time in our old GT/CS. We hope to go very soon in our '14 GT. The Cherohala Skyway will also be part of the trip.

Old 8/29/22, 10:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Now we're talking. Even then you can't use all that power on the 'twisties'. Tail of the Dragon time in our old GT/CS. We hope to go very soon in our '14 GT. The Cherohala Skyway will also be part of the trip.

Exactly! I've driven the 800 miles from home out there three times in the last six years to enjoy the roads out there. Get one of the motorcycle maps that are available all over out there and pick a bunch of roads that aren't the dragon. It is great, but it is busy and low speed compared to lots of the others.
Old 8/30/22, 05:47 AM

^^^ Endless examples. We are still finding them. Just did this one not too long ago in our Trans Am near Hot Springs, NC.

Old 8/30/22, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Depends on when you go. The built in G-meter from Track Apps.

I also never push it

This is a US129 Photo shot
NC14GT (8/30/22)
Old 8/30/22, 07:51 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I believe they just changed their formula or thinking, whichever it is. Very recently too. Perhaps June.
When I started my search for my Mustang I plugged in my '07 GT/CS value as a 'trade-in' and it originally showed $8,700. I knew I would be selling it privately as it was worth at least low teens, at the minimum, in this market. When I found my 2014 GT I tried plugging the value in again and it was $13,000 this time.. What a difference. I now had leverage at the dealership so we drove it up there and it all worked out. Saved taxes by using a trade-in and we could drive back together instead of separate cars.
Apparently, I must had been unaware of KBB recently updating their appraisal policies, due to the ongoing semi-conductor chip shortages.. Meanwhile, thanks for bringing me up to speed
NC14GT (8/30/22)
Old 9/1/22, 05:55 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
If you care about ROI or if it's "worth it" to modify the car, you're better served to leave it alone, or trade it off for something else!

If you're just bored with it, or bored with how you have to drive it around where you live, I could not agree with the guys above me any more. I took my sport bike to the Dragon last year, and it reignited my motorcycle love. Best time I'd ever have while driving/riding. Now I'm trying to get into trackdays, because these city streets just can't hold a candle to using the machine in a fast/fun way. I dream of doing the same thing with my Mustang soon, and once I add a hitch to the back of it, I can get both the car and the bike to some good roads
NC14GT (9/2/22)