Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 V6 vs..... The Accord V6!

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/10, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 V6 vs..... The Accord V6!

This might seem like a surprising comparison article but after the Camaro V6 shoppers, "are most likely to compare the Mustang with the Honda Accord coupe," according to Ford. This was my case as well. Also note the price difference would have been more had the Mustang not had more options not present in the Accord.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...son/index.html
Old 7/8/10, 09:04 PM
GT Member

interesting how that's the first complaint of the mustang. none of the other mags have been so critical of the interior or of the 3.7
Old 7/8/10, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with the reviewer on Mustang's interior. Yes is better looking that Honda's but some of the fit and finish are just odd. For example the section between the steering wheel and dash. In the car I drove I could clearly see remaining of the soft plastic used for the dash. I even asked the sales guy if a piece of timing was missing.
Old 7/9/10, 03:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I really didn't notice any fit issues, but maybe I'm just not picky of such things. I did notice where it would benefit from a telescoping wheel though while I was busy adjusting my own seat, but I like my wheel a little further than most people, and with a little more adjustment I found a comfortable position. Can't comment on the engine much, though I will say that it probably depends a lot on driving style. If they had the cars a little longer and got over the Mustang revving they'd probably get a lot better mileage. Some of the owners here have posted mileage even better than 29 MPG.

However, they just confused me when they said the Accord had a sporty appearance. But this line: "Not only does the 2011 Ford Mustang make the Honda Accord coupe look pedestrian..." That's much more like it. "... it also moves the needle on what we expect from an affordable sports car, both in terms of performance and interior comfort."

You know, if Ford has been listening to the complaints and fixing them, it could be that a telescoping steering wheel may come as early as 2012 or 2013. They need something to replace the cheap molded plastic one anyway, as we've had many people wanting to buy a base V6/GT but really want the leather wrapped steering wheel.
Old 7/9/10, 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

Having owned a 2010 Accord V6 for a total of 4 months, let me tell you...despite the decent power ratings, that car is a downright DOG with the automatic. I wanted the 6 speed, but after searching in 5 neighboring states, I talked myself into the automatic.

What a mistake.

It lagged, downshifted in all the wrong places...just completely wrong in feel and response (IMO, of course). Your ordinary driver probably wouldn't mind, but my expectations were much higher. I traded it in on an Acura TL AWD with the 6 speed manual, and all I can say is, HALLELUJAH!!! What a different a stick makes

Also, while I agree that the Mustang has more obvious panel gaps, the Accord's are just better hidden. Within the first 1,500 miles, the rear deck in the coupe was already ratttling (a known issue in the Accord community). I looooove my Hondas, but they need to refocus on quality control when it comes to the models built in America. I've had Hondas that were built in Japan and more recently those built here, and there is a noticeable gap in quality.
Old 7/9/10, 07:37 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I don't understand it, in a lot of test they say the V-6 Mustang revs slow and lacks power then later on in the same test they say its very fast and powerful LOL!!!
Old 7/9/10, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sdsguy
interesting how that's the first complaint of the mustang. none of the other mags have been so critical of the interior or of the 3.7
This is the first mag article where they crossed the mustang with Honda, a known leader in fit and finish. (not that I would prefer the honda in any way, but Honda/acura has great finish, and at least great initial fit).
Old 7/9/10, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I don't understand it, in a lot of test they say the V-6 Mustang revs slow and lacks power then later on in the same test they say its very fast and powerful LOL!!!
Yeah, they could have described it better. I think what they mean is that the throttle response is a bit sloppy and the motor takes longer than they'd like to get up to high revs, but once you're there it really takes off. At least that's my theory, maybe someone with a V6 can clarify.
Old 7/9/10, 12:49 PM
Cobra R Member

The car I just sold to buy my GT was a 2006 Accord V6 sedan (5AT, I wish it was a 6MT), so it’s not an absurd comparison. As someone else once noted on this forum – a good car is a good car, and the goodness & attractiveness of the 2010 Mustang made me look, while the power swayed my decision to go all-in and get the Mustang.

One point the article made was the sloppy shifter in the Accord & I noticed the same thing back in 2006. The reason is that for some reason (probably cost & ease of engineering) Honda abandoned rod connected shifters in their MTs (as was in my old 1991 Civic Si which shifted like buttah), and since at least 2003 went with the el-cheapo cable shifter configuration (as was employed in my miserable 1982 Pontiac Scumbird and other wretched GM/Saturn FWD classics).

With the transmission immediately underneath the shifter, the Mustang has a clear advantage in being able to avoid cable linkages. Ironically, here’s another car with a longitudinal drivetrain and an AWESOME shifter: The Honda S2000, rest its soul….

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/9/10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 7/9/10, 08:53 PM
V6 Member

I gotta admit that I really like the look of the Accord coupes overall (especially the side view though). I always see a white one running around here with tinted windows and it looks real good IMO. Hate to say it since I'm employed in the domestic auto industry but credit where credit is due.