2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 Mustang GT questions

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/10 | 04:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

2011 Mustang GT questions

I'm about fed up with the throttle deadspace and the finnicky clutch in my 07 GT. The tune solved the issue of throttle lag, but the throttle deadspace is a PITA - I either don't give it enough gas or give it too much gas.

Are all of the 2011 Mustang GT free of throttle lag and throttle deadspace issues? How much faster/slower is the automatic 2011 GT versus the manual?
Old 8/3/10 | 04:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I test drove an 11 GT Conv with the Auto and it felt like it had a delay when you hit the gas. I think it would need a tune right away.
Old 8/3/10 | 04:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Argh... I guess I'm not surprised.
Old 8/3/10 | 05:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by R3troGT
I test drove an 11 GT Conv with the Auto and it felt like it had a delay when you hit the gas. I think it would need a tune right away.
Yes, I would say there is a delay (on my auto) and yes , a tune should help.
Old 8/3/10 | 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The tune helps a little, but why is it Ford's competitors have figured out how to eliminate throttle lag and deadspace from the factory? Subaru WRX/STI, Mazdaspeed3, and Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC's are fine and smooth from the factory. It's getting to the point that I'm going to trade in the Stang for something that is more driveable. The clutch and throttle suck the big one on this car.
Old 8/3/10 | 05:34 AM
Cobra Member

I have a 2011 GT manual and i dont feel any throttle lag and the clutch is just SO light and easy to use
Old 8/3/10 | 05:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

How is the clutch compared to the 2005-2009 GT? I thought my 07's clutch was light until I used the Saab F35 gearbox and clutch in my SS/TC.
Old 8/3/10 | 05:45 AM
Cobra Member

ive only ever driven a 2006 V6 manual and a 2011 V6 manual so im not sure how it compares to the other GT's but i would say the clutch is easier to use in the new GT compared to the old V6 and the same as the new V6.

Question though, Why not just go to your local dealer and test drive both to see which one you like more? Anything anyone tells you on here isn't really gonna matter for the most part (IMO) because its up to you to decide which you "like" more.
Old 8/3/10 | 05:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would order a new 2011 GT, and it may or may not be the same as the ones in the dealer lots. I am just trying to get as much feedback from 2011 owners to see if Ford's production is spot on, or if they just goofed off like usual. The throttle deadspace is really bad in my GT and I've tried different throttles too. Mazda and Subaru don't have this problem, so I'm not sure why Ford can't figure it out.
Old 8/3/10 | 06:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
How is the clutch compared to the 2005-2009 GT? I thought my 07's clutch was light until I used the Saab F35 gearbox and clutch in my SS/TC.
I also have a 2007, and let me tell you...the clutch pedal on the 2011 is almost TOO light. I actually prefer a firmer pedal (unless I'm stuck in traffic, lol) and I looooove the '11.

My 2007 also has way too much "noise" that comes up through the shifter. Almost like a throwout bearing, but without the chirping. Push in the clutch, and it's as quiet as the 2011 is ALL the time
Old 8/3/10 | 09:03 AM
Cobra R Member

The clutch on the 2011 is awesome. Compared to earler models its Night and Day..
On the delay part I have a huge delay.... Oh wait ,mines a 04 with a 4,000 stall..HaHaHa
Old 8/3/10 | 11:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

So none of the 2011s have throttle deadspace?
Old 8/3/10 | 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't notice any dead space, but there is a pretty big lag.
Old 8/3/10 | 12:01 PM
GT Member

The tune helps a little, but why is it Ford's competitors have figured out how to eliminate throttle lag and deadspace from the factory? Subaru WRX/STI, Mazdaspeed3, and Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC's are fine and smooth from the factory. It's getting to the point that I'm going to trade in the Stang for something that is more driveable. The clutch and throttle suck the big one on this car.
Wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. My wife's Mazda6 had terrible throttle lag.
Old 8/3/10 | 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
Wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. My wife's Mazda6 had terrible throttle lag.
I test drove several Mazdaspeed3's and a 2010 Mazda3. Zero throttle lag and zero throttle dead space. Then again, the Mazda6 came out of the same factory as the Mustang in Michigan...
Old 8/3/10 | 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Response is great but you don't get into the torque right away so you feel a bit of bogging/lag from 800-2000 rpms unless you launch a little. I'm still playing around to find the perfect street launch where you're on the power right away but not spinning tires and scaring grannies lol.

The clutch is awesome, twice as light as the 05-09 but still catches hard on fast shifts. 3.73's definitely help a ton
Old 8/3/10 | 01:05 PM
V6 Member

On the auto, if you turn off the traction control and advancetrac you get a little more response. It definitely needs a tune to give it that instant blip kind of fun, but it is much much more fun with electronanny turned off. Great car, I want one so bad.
Old 8/3/10 | 01:16 PM

I would order a new 2011 GT, and it may or may not be the same as the ones in the dealer lots. I am just trying to get as much feedback from 2011 owners to see if Ford's production is spot on, or if they just goofed off like usual. The throttle deadspace is really bad in my GT and I've tried different throttles too. Mazda and Subaru don't have this problem, so I'm not sure why Ford can't figure it out.
I had a 2001 GT and the throttle response sucked so bad I was happy when I sold it. My 2011 GT is nothing like the 2001. The clutch and throttle response are very good. Can't speak for auto's though.
Old 8/3/10 | 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

2011 Mustang GT questions-0725002216.jpg
4/26+ Clutch Pedal Rebound Springs

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
I also have a 2007, and let me tell you...the clutch pedal on the 2011 is almost TOO light. I actually prefer a firmer pedal (unless I'm stuck in traffic, lol) and I looooove the '11.

My 2007 also has way too much "noise" that comes up through the shifter. Almost like a throwout bearing, but without the chirping. Push in the clutch, and it's as quiet as the 2011 is ALL the time
Look under the dash. If you have two rebound springs (4/26 or later production) one around the shaft and a large seperate vertical coil spring. Take a pry bar and slide the lower plastic mount for the large vertical spring off the pin and this will raise your clutch pedal effort from 20 lb to roughly 32 lb. Its held in place by tension be careful when it comes off.

You will have just a touch of free travel at the top of the clutch and the pedal will return much faster on powershifts. I had to do this mod on my car as the large coil when it goes past center binds and reverses force causing the pedal to stick to the floor on high pm shifts. Most cars at stock rpm levels will not be that bad just a little slow to return. I got the bad end of tolerance stack-up.

Use at own risk. It worked on my car. If you decide to put it back on you wil likely have to compress the spring wire it compressed and slide it back on then cut the wire. No much room for anything to compress it under there.
Old 8/3/10 | 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys just so you know the electronic throttle delays in many cars are INTENTIONAL from the factory.
Of course they could tune that out, it's electronic.

But they do so to avoid sudden acceleration and/or incidental over acceleration accidents.

My wife's Infiniti G had instant throttle response. For performance driving it was fantastic but in bump and go traffic and some other scenarios, when a tiny tip of the throttle results in a surge of the car going forward it can result in incidental fender benders and the like.

Simply get a tune to "tune" it out if it bothers you.

It could not possibly be worse than the stock 335i.
BMW tunes in a bunch of throttle lag (ie: push on accelerator and for the first 1/2 inch of travel nothing happens, then a split second later the car starts to move).
Going into sport mode cut that down by 60% or so, but only a tune made it snappy, but even then it was still slight, combine that with slight turbo lag and you just got used to it and made the necessary adjustments in normal driving in normal mode.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT questions