2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 GT newbie owner with a serious concern

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/11, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GT newbie owner with a serious concern

Hey guys. My first post here, unfortunately, may not be a good one. I was literally just a my friends house and when leaving got in my car and sat there just idling while we were bs-ing. After about a minute he looked at me and said "do you hear that?". I concurred that I did hear a noise. It was an varying "tapping" noise. I noticed that I could kind of feel it in my shifter ****. We popped the hood and could hear it on both banks. When placing my hand on the valve covers I was able to even feel it. Now of course I'm guessing that if I take it to the dealer I'm going to get the old "that's normal" thing. Now, I've rebuilt more than one engine in my days as a gear head. I've not dealt with the new iron but I find it hard to believe that this palpable sound is "normal". My car has 390 miles on it, it's a manual with 3.73's. I'll be completely honest in saying that my intention is to completely void my warranty with performance work. For that reason I don't want to start off with a bad apple. The car is totally stock and completely unmodified. I'm a big believer in break-in so I can tell you all that I've not even one time "hammered" on this car. Has anyone experienced this? If so, did you take it to the dealer? What was the result? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.
Old 2/25/11, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't know if this will help, but read this thread.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/se...-issue-491083/
Old 2/25/11, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Don't know if this will help, but read this thread.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/se...-issue-491083/
Thanks for that. I've read that thread already and have sent a PM to that member. The thing I wanted to know from him is he describes a "ticking on the right bank" and wanted to know more. He mentioned it as if it was a known issue but I haven't seen any other information on here about a tick in the right bank and it being proven to be normal. If this is really and truly "normal" then I'm all set and have no worries but I just find it hard to believe that Ford would send a car out with that kind of a sound being "normal". Just doesn't make sense. Like I said, I'm going to definitely "stress" the motor with some serious mods but if my foundation is bad then I don't want to do that until it's fixed. The guys at Lethal Performance are pumping serious boost and making crazy power on a stock bottom end. I have faith that the engine will take it but only if it's a solid piece to start with. Thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Old 2/26/11, 12:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Your welcome. Anythime. I hope things work out for you.
Old 2/26/11, 08:15 AM

Could be the fuel injectors.
Old 2/26/11, 11:27 AM

I found this video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg
This is EXACTLY what my car sounds like. It's not as loud as his but I don't have the miles on it yet. Anyone at all have this happen and what was your result if so.
Old 2/26/11, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1171stang
I found this video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB-F409uegg
This is EXACTLY what my car sounds like. It's not as loud as his but I don't have the miles on it yet. Anyone at all have this happen and what was your result if so.
Pretty irregular. Sounds like a lifter or a header leak. Valve train noises at half speed. With an old engine you could hook up a timing light and see if the noises are in time with the flashes. Tough to do now a days with no plug wires. A stethoscope might help determine where the noise is coming from.
Old 2/26/11, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stang-Par
Pretty irregular. Sounds like a lifter or a header leak. Valve train noises at half speed. With an old engine you could hook up a timing light and see if the noises are in time with the flashes. Tough to do now a days with no plug wires. A stethoscope might help determine where the noise is coming from.
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually going to put my stethoscope on it later tonight. If you read any of the comments on that video then you know he ended up with a whole new motor. I'm kind of encouraged and upset about that at the same time. If my issue is the same then I hope I don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to get them to replace the motor. If they do replace it that's great but at the same time it would kind of suck because whenever you tear things apart like that, that's when other bad things start to happen. Maybe it's something small. I have an appt for next week. It's just that my engine sounds sooooooooo much like the one in the youtube video that I'm just sick about it.