2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2011 GT is at dealership with its transmission pulled :(

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/12 | 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

2011 GT is at dealership with its transmission pulled :(

I was talking with the tech today and he said that he went through the Cost Cap tool and Ford came back and said that he has to rebuild the transmission... grrrr.

He said he could have had the car back to me this week if Ford would just let him put a new one in. He said he was talking to a Ford Engineer that was in that morning who was talking about a guy who was running Nitrous on his 5.0 and they had gone through 2 new transmissions on his car for the whining noise, even with Nitrous and I get mine rebuilt.. meh.

Tech said he doesn't know how long it will take now as he has yet to tear it open, he has to get some special tools needed to get it open and then has to order the parts and so on and so forth. And he mentioned he isn't used to these new transmissions, that's reassuring!

Old 5/2/12 | 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Grifftech
He said he could have had the car back to me this week if Ford would just let him put a new one in. He said he was talking to a Ford Engineer that was in that morning who was talking about a guy who was running Nitrous on his 5.0 and they had gone through 2 new transmissions on his car for the whining noise, even with Nitrous and I get mine rebuilt.. meh.

The Nitrous didn't void his warranty? Or did he pay for both replacement transmissions?
Old 5/2/12 | 12:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Pretty sure the NOS will have voided the warranty, so it's likely that the guy paid for both new transmissions. If it didn't void it the first time, I can guarantee you the dealership/Ford didn't pay for the second brand new transmission on a car that was using Nitrous.
Old 5/2/12 | 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

The dealership had mine for almost 3 months on replacing a new one in my 2011.. Mine was whining bad and I haven't shot NOS or done anything bad to it lol
Old 5/2/12 | 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

The way the tech made it sound was that Ford covered it as that point in the conversation was about them not putting a enw one in mine. The tech may be lying but I don't see what he has to gain from lying to me. Regardless it I just think the whole thing sucks
Old 5/2/12 | 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Zackery C
The dealership had mine for almost 3 months on replacing a new one in my 2011.. Mine was whining bad and I haven't shot NOS or done anything bad to it lol
If mine sits there for 3 months I gurantee you I will raise hell till they take that sucker back and put me in a 2013 for the same payment I am at now
Old 5/2/12 | 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Grifftech

If mine sits there for 3 months I gurantee you I will raise hell till they take that sucker back and put me in a 2013 for the same payment I am at now
The only reason it set there that long was that they was backed up and couldn't work on it. I didn't sweet bc I have a other DD and also they replaced it with a new tranny
Old 5/2/12 | 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Grifftech - Rebuilding the current one isn't a bad deal. I had a brand new MT82 installed after they decided that a rebuild wasn't in the cards, and while the replacement MT82 was new, the one one that whined still drove and shifted better than the brand new one. What I'm saying is that rebuilding/repairing your current may be better than a new one.

Also, there can be a plus to having the tech rebuild it. If they do something wrong that trashes the transmission again before warranty expires, they'll probably replace it.
Old 5/2/12 | 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I just had all of by bearings replaced along with the synchros and mine shifts awesome with no more whine. Mine only took three weeks though but it was well worth the wait.
Old 5/3/12 | 07:23 AM
Cobra Member

If I had to replace my trans, that Chinese POS wouldnt go back in it. A Tremec T6060 would go in.
Old 5/3/12 | 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

How does nos wear out tranny? Did u prematurely wear out the disc?
Old 5/3/12 | 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
How does nos wear out tranny? Did u prematurely wear out the disc?
Yes, it's a result of the tremendous amount of power suddenly going through it, and the MT-82 is not built to handle much more than stock power output.
Old 5/3/12 | 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Man I am getting fired up!! The dealership called and tore the transmission apart and have ordered all the parts but the MAJORITY of the parts are on national back order and they have NO IDEA when they will get them... angry man needs a beer!
Old 5/3/12 | 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

**** that's not good. I'm not liking seeing all these 2011 GTs all of the sudden getting their tranny's torn down. I have the gear whine too but my transmission was built before they coated the gears to reduce the noise...
Old 5/3/12 | 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11
Yes, it's a result of the tremendous amount of power suddenly going through it, and the MT-82 is not built to handle stock power output.
Fixed....
Old 5/3/12 | 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
**** that's not good. I'm not liking seeing all these 2011 GTs all of the sudden getting their tranny's torn down. I have the gear whine too but my transmission was built before they coated the gears to reduce the noise...
And mine was built before they coated the gears also. Here is a link to my newest post on AFM.. fun reading http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post3040571
Old 5/3/12 | 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
**** that's not good. I'm not liking seeing all these 2011 GTs all of the sudden getting their tranny's torn down.
Yep, not good.

I went back and looked over the 2005-2010 Mustang threads regarding the 5-speeds used over those years, and there is no where near the same amount of transmission threads/problems as the ones related to the 2011+ 5.0's. The comparison is not even in he same ball park, it is like 25:1 threads between the 6spd and 5spd of prior years.

I sincerely think Ford was duped into thinking they outsourced a better transmission than what they got with the MT82. Since we don't hear of quite as many issues from the V6 boys, my hypothesis is that the MT82 simply cannot handle the power of the 5.0 motor, and the more the owner deploys the full power of the 5.0 motor, the quicker the MT82 wears out and begins to break down.
Old 5/3/12 | 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
Yep, not good.

I went back and looked over the 2005-2010 Mustang threads regarding the 5-speeds used over those years, and there is no where near the same amount of transmission threads/problems as the ones related to the 2011+ 5.0's. The comparison is not even in he same ball park, it is like 25:1 threads between the 6spd and 5spd of prior years.

I sincerely think Ford was duped into thinking they outsourced a better transmission than what they got with the MT82. Since we don't hear of quite as many issues from the V6 boys, my hypothesis is that the MT82 simply cannot handle the power of the 5.0 motor, and the more the owner deploys the full power of the 5.0 motor, the quicker the MT82 wears out and begins to break down.
Just going to get this "fixed" and hang on to it till the 2015 MY is released and see what that has to offer
Old 5/3/12 | 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
Yep, not good.

Good ole Chinese outsourcing!!
Old 5/3/12 | 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't run into the problem of grinding 3rd though. If I think about it too second gear notchiness is a non-issue for me. But the whine is persistent through all gears really. I had it taken in a couple months ago for the whine. But they said it was normal. So i'll run it until I have a problem and then they can eat their words and fix it.

For you though I hope those parts come in sooner than later!

Quick Reply: 2011 GT is at dealership with its transmission pulled :(