2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

For 2011...

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/09, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
This is a interior photo I have found for the 2010 Camaro. There is absolutely no flow in this design and the materials look cheap in the photo, imagine how it looks and feels in person.

Dave
That interior is awful. How did that get approved? The gauge pods sticking up just ruin it for me.
The four gauges that you cant see were stupid. I just hate it. On the other hand, I think they did a good job on the exterior. I like the looks of it. F body father who used to post a lot a the z28 forum has dropped off the planet it seems after the bailout stuff. Maybe Im wrong and have not have kept track so somebody correct me if Im wrong. He is a cocky SOB anyway imo.

I know he has a job to do but some of his statements really ticked me off. I wish John Colletti was still around.
Old 1/4/09, 07:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
F body father who used to post a lot a the z28 forum has dropped off the planet it seems after the bailout stuff. Maybe Im wrong and have not have kept track so somebody correct me if Im wrong. He is a cocky SOB anyway imo.
He is huge in the Camaro community, and for obvious reasons he was subjective.
The thing that ticked me off the most is how he basically blasted anyone who didn't like the new car for any reason that he didn't agree with.
Sorry Scott-ole-boy... those are the people purchasing your cars, you may not want to **** all over them just to make the other 3 that will buy it smile.
Old 1/4/09, 08:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Personally I'd hate to see the GT moniker go...
I never understood why some people are so hung up over the 5.0 badge. The 5.0 was never a model name or series designation like Mach 1 or Boss. The badge was simply used to indicate the engine size in liters just like any of the badges that were used on the fenders of classic Mustangs which were expressed in cubic inches.

The 1978 King Cobra was the first Mustang (II) to use 5.0 as an engine identifier on the hood scoop. The famous chrome 5.0 badge was first used on the fenders of the 1979 Mustangs with the V8 engine option. V6 models featured a similar styled 2.8 liter badge. The familiar badge identification originated with European and Australian Ford designs which used engine designations in liters on the decklid. The late 1970's was a time when metric measurements took over standard SAE measurements so that resulted in engine displacement expressed in liters instead of cubic inches.

The 5.0 badge gets it's popularity for being a visually identifiable brag badge in a time that resurrected performance and competition after years of smothering emissions standards on vehicles with subpar performance. The 1982 Mustang GT brought back the 5.0 engine after a two year absence. It took the opportunity to reuse the 1979 5.0 badges to distinguish it from lesser displacement engined Mustangs.

When the 1987 Mustang GT came out with its visually distinguishable additional aerodynanic lower body pieces, a 5.0 engine option for the Mustang LX was offered to appeal to those who prefer a more subtle clean look and a lower entry price.

When the 1994 Mustang came out, the 5.0 badge was restricted to use on the engine intake plenum. When the 5.0 engine was replaced with the 4.6 liter modular V8, it replaced that badge and added the 4.6 liter designation to the botton of the GT badge.

I could care less what displacement Ford uses for it's V8 engines as long as it performs to expectations. To me it's silly just to create an engine around a particular confining liter displacement just to make some people obsessed with the 5.0 badge on the outside of the Mustang happy again. To me it's more of a virtue to get the most performance possible out of a smaller displacement engine.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked the chrome 5.0 badge. I even used them on my 1985 Tbird V8 because technically it was designated as a 5.0 liter engine and had a label with the same badge font on on the air cleaner housing. I used them because I liked the way they look on that car. Now I would not want them on the sides of any new car. In the context that they appear on the original models they appeared on they seem the most appropriate.

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/4/09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 1/4/09, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chevys
That interior is awful. How did that get approved? The gauge pods sticking up just ruin it for me.
The four gauges that you cant see were stupid. I just hate it. On the other hand, I think they did a good job on the exterior.
This is the best shot of the Camaro interior that you'll ever see. I was able to stick my head into it at the LA show ( wasn't allowed to sit down ) and it looks waaaay worse that this picture. Plastics were cheap, no soft touch materials, parts didn't fit together well. The Camaro is no 2010 Mustang.
Old 1/4/09, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Was there ever a reason that Ford did not have an oval Ford emblem on a Mustang ? other that like with the 05 GT hub caps ?
Old 1/4/09, 09:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by chevys
That interior is awful. How did that get approved? The gauge pods sticking up just ruin it for me. The four gauges that you cant see were stupid. I just hate it.
I agree the Camaro interior is a disaster. It looks like a bunch of over injected bulbous plastic which has a cartoonish style that looks like it should have came from the last generation Camaros which instantly dates the look. This new interior makes the 1982-92 fighter jet interior look timeless and advanced dispite it's creek, rattle and crack plastic composition.

The fact that gauges were placed on the console respresents the lack of attention to practical ergonomics back in the 1960's. The bulbous curvy interior detailing does not match the edgy look of the exterior. If it was edgier more closely replicating the original Camaro designs with no gauge pods extruding over the top of the dash pad it would look better. The HVAC/Audio controls look like a tumourous growth or a boom box style that has long passed. The steering wheel has a mutant shape.
Old 1/4/09, 09:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I do love the Mustang over this by far yuk!
Old 1/4/09, 09:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Was there ever a reason that Ford did not have an oval Ford emblem on a Mustang ? other that like with the 05 GT hub caps ?
Starting in 1983, all Mustangs wore the Blue Oval on the center of the grille and on the decklid. It was part of a strategy to use the corporate symbol as an instantly recognizable brand identifier on North American Fords. This was already in place on European and Australian Fords starting in the 1970's.

People missed the Pony emblems on the 1980's Mustangs after they completely disappeared in 1983. On 1979-82 models, the Pony only appeared in a round badge on the hood on models without the large Cobra/Pace Car hood scoop.

You would often see people taking the original classic badges and applying them to newer Mustangs any way they could. In 1984, Ford created a little excitement bringing back the Tri-bar Pony to the fenders of the 20th Anniversary GT350 model. On later models, the Tri-bar pony appeared on the center caps of the optional 5-spoke aluminum wheels and the right side of the dash. On the 1993 Cobra, the Pony took over the center of the grille opening which of course was a popular retrofit on other Mustangs replacing the Blue Oval.

With the 1994 Mustangs, the Pony emblem took over it's classic position in the center of the grille. When the 2005 Mustang came out it was not necessary to clutter the decklid with a Blue Oval emblem, especially since the faux gas cap was used that included the tri-bar Pony or sepcific model designation with the chrome perimeter embossed with FORD. With the wheels, many people end up replacing the Blue Oval center caps with the Tri-Bar Ponies. With that popularity in mind why did they ever use the Blue Ovals in the centercaps... Oh I do know why... To take advantage of the revenue they would get on people who would want to change them to the accessory Tri-bar Ponies.

The Mustang is so well known that it is not necessary to use Blue Oval badges on it. You'd have to be a moron if you didn't know it was a Ford.

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/4/09 at 09:37 AM.
Old 1/4/09, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
I agree the Camaro interior is a disaster. It looks like a bunch of over injected bulbous plastic which has a cartoonish style that looks like it should have came from the last generation Camaros which instantly dates the look. This new interior makes the 1982-92 fighter jet interior look timeless and advanced dispite it's creek, rattle and crack plastic composition.

The fact that gauges were placed on the console respresents the lack of attention to practical ergonomics back in the 1960's. The bulbous curvy interior detailing does not match the edgy look of the exterior. If it was edgier more closely replicating the original Camaro designs with no gauge pods extruding over the top of the dash pad it would look better. The HVAC/Audio controls look like a tumourous growth or a boom box style that has long passed. The steering wheel has a mutant shape.
Couldn't have said it better!
Old 1/4/09, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I do love the Mustang over this by far yuk!
I was seriously condsidering order the new Camaro......the exterior is pretty **** good looking. And then I saw this!!!! I have seen Hyundai's with better looking interiors. This thing is terrible...the layout, the look, the (lack of) features........it looks like some kid put together a bunch of different parts. They SHOULD HAVE made the interior "modern", not retro like. They could have even kept the small little gauges, which are kinda cool. But it looks like crap all together. Then I saw the 2010 Shelby and crapped myself.....................Here goes the purchase of my 6th mustang!!!!!!!!!!!

My only wonder is are they planning on changing the Shelby engine for 2011 like the GT??
Old 1/4/09, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sharpie
I was seriously condsidering order the new Camaro......the exterior is pretty **** good looking. And then I saw this!!!! I have seen Hyundai's with better looking interiors. This thing is terrible...the layout, the look, the (lack of) features........it looks like some kid put together a bunch of different parts. They SHOULD HAVE made the interior "modern", not retro like. They could have even kept the small little gauges, which are kinda cool. But it looks like crap all together. Then I saw the 2010 Shelby and crapped myself.....................Here goes the purchase of my 6th mustang!!!!!!!!!!!

My only wonder is are they planning on changing the Shelby engine for 2011 like the GT??

there was a rumor awhile back of the gt500 having the same 5.0 engine but with the addition of turbocharging. whether it was rumored to be single or dual, im not sure. fords looking to do more turbocharging options with vehicles like the eco-boost which can bring somewhat better fuel economy. no one really knows what the future holds
Old 1/4/09, 09:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangsimon
Couldn't have said it better!
Well Ford did a great job redoing the Mustang interior. It looks serious with the actual appearance of quality and not like some designer was obsessed with his childhood toys...

Could you imagine if Porsche or Ferrari put a cartoonish interior like the Camaro in one of it's cars? It's bad enough that even though the latest Corvette has improved it's interior it still looks cheap in design and not serious like a world class car.

The new Mustang interior is designed serious like Audi or VW interiors which I was always impressed with back in the days I worked for VW. With the recent upgrade, designers got the right materials, textures and appearance that work so harmoneously together on the latest VW GTI's.

To put it in perspective, the 2005 Mustang was more like the 1999 era VW's with the use of hard plastics. Matter of fact if you compare some of the switchgear and design execution, it closely resembles VW/Audi designs. The 2010 raises the bar to what impresses me about the latest VW/Audi standards with softer dash materials and less hard plastics.

If there was one thing I really wish I had for my 08 Mustang is the 2010 interior with extruded round gauge pods like the 05-09. I really love the one piece injected molded soft dash.

Last edited by watchdevil; 1/4/09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 1/4/09, 10:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

One thing I realized is that with the lastest crash safety standards requiring knee protection and airbags, we may never again see dashes that fall away at the bottom like the 1969-73 Mustangs or early Camaros.

This is another reason why the new Camaro dash design fails, because it looks like it attempted to take the classic Camaro dash and added knee and passenger protection which brings the lower part of the dash towards passengers instead of having it fall away like the classic models.
Old 1/4/09, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
I would love to see the 5.0 back and all indications are that it will be in some form.

A simple 2011 Mustang 5.0 should be based on the GT with the 5.0 and 6 speed. The 19x9.5
SVT wheels in Satin Luster or even the GT 5 spoke wheel with and extra inch in width.
5.0 emblems on the fenders and rear faux gas cap. Maybe a small splitter across the front.
Maybe the 4" exhaust, rear valence, Brembos, from the GT500.

Inside, The GT500 seats minus the stripes, look kinda Mach 1ish, Suede inserts on the seats,
shifter, wheel and handbrake. I want suede so the butt sticks to the seats with the standard Track Pack. Or Just go with nice snug cloth seats (Recaro like).
I too would love to see the 5.0L back in the Mustang in 2011. While I'm not a big fan of the Boss stripe package, I too prefer the clean, understated look - I would like to see Ford produce a Boss 302 for what the package represents - a total performance package, one that accelerates, stops and brakes with the best performance cars out there. Certainly, the S197 Mustang platform has proven very capable and I would like to see Ford take it to the next logical step.

The GT500 is a great performer no doubt and very sharp as well - but alas we can't all have a GT500 in our garage. I'd like to see Ford slot an SE above the GT and below the GT500 in both price and acceleration. The ideal combination for a Boss 302 would be (1) a 400+ hp DI 5.0L 4V engine, (2) 6 speed manual and automatic transmission options, (3) the GT500's Brembo brakes, (4) a reduced curb weight through the use of more light weight materials and removal of most weight-adding comfort and convenience options such as Nav system, power seats, etc. - I'd prefer a grippy set of Recaro-esque cloth seats with manual adjustments (5) a suspension tuned to take advantage of the lighter curb weight to make the car the ultimate factory handling Mustang. Not only would this combination or similar be a terrific car but it would also address a need among the Mustang faithful who have been clamoring for a factory produced Boss 302 - just make sure the hockey stripe is optional
Old 1/4/09, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

The number one thing I would really love to see is the separation between engines and models in the Mustang.

For instance, as engines have something like a more respectable base V6, a V8, a TT6 and a Turbo/SC V8 available and then have the base body style, GT, Boss/Mach/CS etc and a Cobra/Shelby then allow the mixing and matching of engines and models (obviously with some combinations not being available such as a V6 in a Shelby).

I have heard a lot of people who prefer the V6 body style over the GT, so why not allow the V8 in the base body style for those who want a more stripped down performance car (like an LX) or a TT6 in a Boss for a high revving handler? As well, some people like the looks and handling of the GT but don't really need a V8.

If they are going to have Track Packs and Pony Packages, special editions and everything else, I don't see why this is too difficult. Four engines, four models, mix and match them how you like!

I realize this will never happen in this day and age, but in a perfect world this is what I would want.
Old 1/4/09, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

100% I mentioned something similar in another thread. I am one of those that wants the performance of the GT, but prefer the front facia of the V6. I am not a big fan of the black plastic in the grill, and I simply can't stand the mutton chops. I like the clean lines of the V6 a lot however. Since they are all going down the same line, with all different options anyway, it should be logistically possible for you to say order a GT with a V6 Pony Package front facia, or whatever your preference.
Old 1/4/09, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Not only is the camaro exterior nice but the drivetrain is awesome, the ls3 is a great motor and the 6 speed is the t6060 which can be found handling over 500 HP everywhere, and then the IRS on top of all that and it's a great package.

Before everyone starts ******* the wheel hop, there is alot of talk about this being taken care of with these new IRS's.

But that **** interior i just can't get over it, i couldn't imagine waking up everyday and looking at that all the way to work.

So here i am waiting for Ford to get with it a drop a 5.0 w/6spd with about 400 horses so i can buy a mustang.

I love the new mustang interior/exterior also, top notch.
Old 1/4/09, 08:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ideally what I imagine is Ford will do is bring out the 5.0 engine for an Engine Upgrade for the GT for 2011, and Hopefully a Boss 302 SE with a modified 5.0, similar to what they did with the Bullitt's 4.6. 15-25 more HP over the stock 5.0.

To me the 302 had a much longer run as an engine designation than the 5.0, with Almost Everyone instantly associating 302 with the Boss 302's which were actually only built 2 years, however it was the use of the 5.0 badge on the 80's and early 90's mustang that most people today remember. It just sounded cool to say It's got a Five Oh....

To me the old 5.0's were good strong engines with a Huge List of aftermarket parts available, but the 4.6 has been one hell of an engine. I'm really going to miss it. I can only hope the new modular 5.0 is as good as the 4.6 was and still is.

As for the use of the Blue Oval on a Mustang, as WatchDevil said, that was an 80's move used by Ford to create a Corporate Image. There were rules laid down that stated that all models would have Badging that was used on all models to Identify them as a Ford Product, and placed in uniform positions on all Ford Products since their designs were becoming so homogenized they were being mistaken for other makes.

It was only when the design of the vehicle got so far removed from it's origins that they needed to resort to using Corporatism to define their vehicles. One thing Ford started to do in the Late 70's and continued until the late 90's was to imitate European makes. That is why the Taurus was so popular, it looked like a much more expensive Audi 500, and even the 89 Thunderbird was designed to mimic the look of a BMW 6 Series.

So Ford added the Blue Oval to the upper right corner of the trunk of all models, and the Model Designation, Mustang, Thunderbird etc, on the upper left corner of the trunk. Back in the 60's and 70's Ford actually considered models such as the Mustang and Thunderbird separate divisions of Ford Motor Company. The Thunderbird was actually the last vehicle to not use a Ford Logo anywhere on it's exterior, finally having the Blue Oval added to it's trunk in 1989.

However, since Ford's design revitalization, they are starting to get away from that practice again, thank God. Obviously if a car is Instantly Recognizable as a famous model, there is no need to put that Corporate Logo on the car, since everyone knows that Mustang's and Thunderbird's are made by Ford, just as everyone knows Corvettes and Camaro's are Chevy's.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 1/5/09 at 07:39 PM.
Old 1/5/09, 04:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really stinks how the V6 is a better looking car than the GT. Its bad enough with that rear and black plastic then we have to deal with the mutton chops and the blacked out grill inserts. Its like you will be buying the car for the 5.0 and interior with the GT. It looks like with all 3 pony cars its best to wait a year and see if they change their weak points. Its very disappointing.
Old 1/5/09, 08:27 AM

...or call it the GT400, use a lot of the GT500's styling and running gear, though perhaps with a more stripped down, serious performance interior (and some nice Recaro's like the '82 GT), but put in the upcoming 5.0 motor with 400 hp to justify the name. Whereas the GT500, with its prodigious, in both weight and power, engine makes it more of a uni-dimensional straight line runner, the GT400 with a much lighter all-aluminum motor would be a far better balanced and more fully fleshed serious road machine.

I would keep the basic styling clean, serious and purposeful to reinforce that this is a car for serious drivers, not preening peacocks and there is always the corner Pep Boys for those who just have to go for the parade float route of styling overkill.

The Mustang is facing for the first time in a very long time, some very serious direct (Camaro, Challenger) and near direct (Genesis Coupe, 370Z) and so won't be able to rely solely on nostalgia and a reasonably strong acceleration alone. The '10 GT is mostly old wine in a new bottle so here's hoping the 5.0 model, whatever they call it, truly does take the Stang up a few, necessary notches.

Quick Reply: For 2011...