Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011/2012 Mustang - Keyless entry and ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/10, 07:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2011/2012 Mustang - Keyless entry and ignition?

Does anyone know if the 2011 and 2012 still require a key to start the engine? I rented a 2010 vert V6 that had the huge abortion of an integrated key and transmitter fob that would dig into my thigh.

I rented a 2011 Maxima and it had the remote keyless entry and ignition. I didn't have to ever touch the transmitter or use a key to open doors and start the car. Shutting off the engine required pushing the START button once (not holding it down or anything stupid like a Toyota).
Old 11/25/10, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, it's still a key with integrated fob.

I came from a Nissan 370Z so I got used to the whole keyless entry and push-start routine. Talk about convenient. It took a while to get used to using a key again.
Old 11/25/10, 07:53 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I am actually considering a 370Z Roadster. What's your opinion of going from a 370Z to a 2011 GT? I love the way the VQ35/37 engines sound, I can't find any Ford engine that sounds as nice when you open it up. The Coyote V8 sounds too docile and balanced on the videos and I don't like loud exhaust systems.

Funny story about renting the Maxima, I kept using the key for about 2 days. Each time I did that, I'd stare at the thing and realize that I didn't even need to get it out of my pocket. Talk about convenient.
Old 11/25/10, 08:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I am actually considering a 370Z Roadster. What's your opinion of going from a 370Z to a 2011 GT? I love the way the VQ35/37 engines sound, I can't find any Ford engine that sounds as nice when you open it up. The Coyote V8 sounds too docile and balanced on the videos and I don't like loud exhaust systems.

Funny story about renting the Maxima, I kept using the key for about 2 days. Each time I did that, I'd stare at the thing and realize that I didn't even need to get it out of my pocket. Talk about convenient.
There isn't a day that goes by where I don't miss having my Z. It and the 5.0 are two of the best performance values in this price range and you certainly can't go wrong with either.

There are areas where the Z wins and areas where the 5.0 wins. Looks, obviously, are subjective, but I'll quickly go through a few important items:

Handling: I feel like the Mustang has slightly better balance (it feels like it rotates a little better) but the Z has slightly more grip and a very direct, precise feel. You feel far more controlled in the Z than you do in the Mustang, even though they are both tackling corners at roughly the same speed. The Z has a staggered tire setup (245/275 F/R) and as such has a bit of understeer built into it.

Braking: Braking with the Sport Package Z (Akebono brakes) and the Brembo Mustang feels roughly the same. The Mustang feels more controlled but this is probably due to the longer wheel base.

Engine: The VQ37HR in the Z is awesome. It's torquey for a V6 but it is a little harsh from about 6,000 RPM to redline (7,500 RPM) whereas the 5.0 is buttery smooth all the way to redline. The 5.0 wins on power, obviously, but the VQ is still very stout.

Interior: The Z feels more upscale inside thanks to more use of soft-touch materials, leather-wrapped center console, and alcantara-appointed seat and door inserts. It's comfortable and spacious. The steering wheel is better than the Mustangs and the gauge layout is better as well. You also get a gear-position indicator within the tach which is a nice feature. Quality-wise the Mustang is on par, the Z is just better ergonomically. Obviously with the Z you get more of the "sports car" seating treatment than you do with the Mustang.

Transmission: The manual transmission in the Mustang is better than the manual in the Z. It's all around smoother and more enjoyable to operate. However, if you do get the Sport package 370 you get the Synchro Rev Match system which automatically blips the throttle for you on downshifts... perfect every time!

Those are just a few items. It all comes down to what you want out of the car. I don't regret buying the Mustang, I'm very happy with it, it's just that the Z was so good I really miss it at times!

If I had the cash to throw around right now I would be buying a 370Z Roadster to park next to the 5.0. Best of both worlds.
Old 11/25/10, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 370Z is a very valid choice and I would never second-guess someone who bought one. But one area where I think the Mustang GT pulls ahead is value. I think you get a little bit more for your money with the Mustang. And for me, Sync was a "must have" feature. If I had a friend who offered to let me borrow their 370Z for a weekend though, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Last edited by RandyW; 11/26/10 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Fixed misspelling
Old 11/25/10, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

I think as far as value goes both are pretty close. Z's now are selling at quite a discount as very few people are in the market for an impractical 2-seater. You can get 2010 models for 1500 or more below invoice if you go through the right dealer.

My 370 was a Sport + Touring model which was very nicely appointed (heated seats, blue-tooth, 6 disk Bose, homelink, etc) and I paid roughly the same for it as I did my 2011 GT with Brembo, 3.73, 401A, and reverse camera. With both cars your money definitely goes a long way. You can't go wrong with either.

What I find interesting is that I thought the Mustang would be the more comfortable cruiser, but at least with the Brembo package it's not. My Mustang is MUCH stiffer and harsher than the Z (although the seats are more comfortable). The Z was very smooth. I actually drove it 1000 miles to St. Louis to trade it in on my Mustang and it was a very nice trip out. I could make it to St. Louis on two tanks of gas with the Z.

Ultimately you just have to drive both and see what you like the most. Since you mentioned the Z roadster, I would definitely buy that car in a heartbeat. They are fun as coupes but downright awesome with the top down!

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 11/25/10 at 11:16 AM.