Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011-2012 GT cooling upgrades???

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/15, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 2013-2014 cars had vented hoods and optional oil coolers...and you have to figure that Ford offered these for a reason.

What tips/tricks can us '11-'12 folks use to keep their 5.0L motors running cool?

I torture myself by running the heat full-blast after pushing the car hard to bring the temps back down...and I have no idea how much this even helps but it feels right to share the pain with my motor

I always drive gently for a few miles after a hard run and also open the hood when I park after running it hard to minimize the heat-soak into all of the under-hood wiring, hosest, etc...and to mitigate heat-related accelerated aluminum rot of the hood.

Thoughts?
Old 6/29/15, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A GT500 fan might be an option for you. They are available from Ford Racing or your Ford dealer as it’s a OEM part. Check with the online vendors as they usually have better pricing. It was a plug & play swap for my stock ‘14 GT fan.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.co...KeyField=23200
Attached Thumbnails 2011-2012 GT cooling upgrades???-fordracingsvtperformancecoolingfan_zpsd6bd9fe4-copy.jpg   2011-2012 GT cooling upgrades???-frpp-fan-copy.jpg   2011-2012 GT cooling upgrades???-20141111_163553_resized-2-copy.jpg   2011-2012 GT cooling upgrades???-20141111_163759_resized-2-copy.jpg  
Old 6/29/15, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
look at a product called WaterWetter

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

I've used it in the past. Not overly expensive.
Old 6/29/15, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How high are your temps getting after running hard?
You may benefit from doing the opposite after running hard. Running the air conditioning will turn on the fans if you are driving under 40mph.
Old 6/29/15, 11:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
I torture myself by running the heat full-blast after pushing the car hard to bring the temps back down...and I have no idea how much this even helps but it feels right to share the pain with my motor

I always drive gently for a few miles after a hard run and also open the hood when I park after running it hard to minimize the heat-soak into all of the under-hood wiring, hosest, etc...and to mitigate heat-related accelerated aluminum rot of the hood.

Thoughts?
Old 6/29/15, 12:05 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
The 2013-2014 cars had vented hoods and optional oil coolers...and you have to figure that Ford offered these for a reason.

What tips/tricks can us '11-'12 folks use to keep their 5.0L motors running cool?

Thoughts?
Mike... I think you have something there about the hood being heat-prone and therefore speeding up the corrosion issues, etc. Since day 1 that I've had Marilyn, I've always opened up the hood when I park back in my garage. Maybe it has something to do with it, but I don't have any of the corrosion issues other folks are seeing. Could it be luck? maybe... still....

What John mentions below is also a good option. I've toyed around potentially doing this too, but alas, I don't track her or drive her hard too often. During my datalog sessions, my tuner and I also determined that my temps are just fine... so getting a bigger fan/etc, would probably have "some" benefit, but nothing I would immediately notice. I'll just use that mod money elsewhere.

Originally Posted by silverstate777
A GT500 fan might be an option for you. They are available from Ford Racing or your Ford dealer as it’s a OEM part. Check with the online vendors as they usually have better pricing. It was a plug & play swap for my stock ‘14 GT fan.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.co...KeyField=23200
Good idea John.
Old 6/29/15, 12:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
LOL what does that mean Alex? He's alone in the rain? lol
Old 6/29/15, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double post...

Last edited by GBStang13; 6/29/15 at 12:49 PM.
Old 6/29/15, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ cooling your nuts off? :P JK!

Thanks for the GT500 fan info!

I will be investing into one for sure, esp those that open at high speed + 1 extra blade make a huge huge difference.

IMO I live in AZ and these are must for our cars. I usually do spirited canyon runs... Anyhow oil cooler is a must esp in AZ heat + for 139 to protect a 7K engine? Should be no brainer! Improved radiator ( BOSS One or Aftermarket ) and deff that fan. + Fins on the Diff would be nice ( track pack cars ) and i am currently working with a investor and a fabricator to create our own club inspired brake cooling ducts for 05-09 11-14 and 15 stangs hope there will be demand for a kit under $300.

Thanks again for sharing the info buddy how much did that fan cost?
Old 6/29/15, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Hahah just messing around. As in hes the only one that cranks his heat to cool off engine etc
Old 6/30/15, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GBStang13

Thanks for the GT500 fan info!

I will be investing into one for sure, esp those that open at high speed + 1 extra blade make a huge huge difference.

IMO I live in AZ and these are must for our cars. I usually do spirited canyon runs... Anyhow oil cooler is a must esp in AZ heat + for 139 to protect a 7K engine? Should be no brainer! Improved radiator ( BOSS One or Aftermarket ) and deff that fan. + Fins on the Diff would be nice ( track pack cars ) and i am currently working with a investor and a fabricator to create our own club inspired brake cooling ducts for 05-09 11-14 and 15 stangs hope there will be demand for a kit under $300.

Thanks again for sharing the info buddy how much did that fan cost?
You're welcome. I purchased my fan last year from LMR. At that time, it was the cheapest available and cost just under $200.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...mbly-Upgrade-0

Like Arizona, It gets hot here in southern Nevada ...
Attached Thumbnails 2011-2012 GT cooling upgrades???-zzzcapture.jpg  
Old 6/30/15, 10:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for sharing. When I went to the link, the lone review mentions the coolant reservoir not fitting. Did you have to modify anything to for this fan?
Old 7/1/15, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Thank you for sharing. When I went to the link, the lone review mentions the coolant reservoir not fitting. Did you have to modify anything to for this fan?
Rich, I seen that review and think the owner was talking about the steering reservoir not fitting with the GT500 fan and SVE radiator. The GT500 fan was direct swap in my ‘14 GT, no modifications were needed as I retain my OE radiator and OE coolant reservoir. American Muscle has some GT500 fan reviews:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-s...ly-0513gt.html
Old 7/1/15, 12:58 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a few questions and some suggestions. First just how hot is hot and how did you determine it? IMO unless the water temp is above 220* F for an extended period of time [ over twenty minutes ] I wouldn't be too concerned. Do you have an aftermarket gauge and where is the water temp sending unit? An infrared heat gun can be a useful tool for determining heat variations from one location vs another. When does it run hot, at high speed or at slow urban traffic speeds? Fans can help for slow speeds, but can actually impede the flow of air at higher speeds. If it overheats at high speed you need greater capacity ie. a bigger radiator. It should go without saying, but the radiator must be clean and as unobstructed as possible. One of the simplest and cheapest "mods" you can make is to install a piece of ordinary fiberglass window screen in front of the AC condenser. This will keep bugs and other small light pieces of road debris from impacting it and bending the fins and otherwise clogging it. It is very easy to clean occasionally and this will help keep the car running cool as well as keeping the AC as efficient as possible. As for engine oil coolers, the cooler used on Track Pack and Boss 302 cars is as much an oil heater as it is a cooler since it uses engine coolant to cool the oil. In cold weather this cooler will also help bring the engine oil up to normal temp a little quicker than would otherwise be the case. Since these cars use 5W50 oil instead of the 5W20 specified for standard GT s this is probably a good idea. The downside to this type of cooler is obvious. If the engine water temp is too high it won't be able to cool the oil either. In addition to lubricating the engine, oil is also a coolant and the Coyote is known to have significantly higher oil temps when operated above 4,500 rpm for extended periods of time eg. track days. This in turn will effect the water temps. For serious track use, an oil to air cooler is the way to go.