2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010 same as 2008...Bullitt?

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/08, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As expected. Sans a move to an IRS setup there was simply no need to reinvent the wheel...no pun intended. The Bullitt is already a noticeable improvement over the standard GT, throw in a stiffer chassis, a little of the know how gathered from the GT500 and GT500KR, and a few new tweaks and what we'll end up with a much better handling Mustang GT.

As I stated earlier, the only worry I have is with brakes which have thus far been an informational black hole.
Old 8/21/08, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Due to increasing fuel costs, along with stricter CAFE regulations. It's highly unlikely that the 2010 GT. will get the Bullitt's 3:73 gears. Unless they're offered as optional
Unless they throw a 6 speed in there for 2010. I mean if the 2011 5.0 is similar to the 4.6L, it should bolt right up. Give the 4.6 a nice MPG boost regardless of 3.73s.
Old 8/21/08, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Wouldn't surprise me one iota if they used the current parts for the 1 year carry over.

Thinkin out loud here... if the 2010 is old tech (most) and 2011 the 5.0 comes out,
and the new car (hypothetically...going back to the new 3 year design trend) that would only leave 2011/12 to have new stuff underneath.

If the new platform is coming as the 2013, I could see why Ford wouldn't invest in upgrading too much if at all.
Rather wait till the new platform for any major changes. (5.0L and other drop ins..not withstanding, especially if they are off the shelf components)
Or do they keep this 2010-2014 5 year Model run, and debut the new platform in 2015 with a 50th anniversary model?

In the grand scheme of things this would still have a 6 speed, 5.0L 400hp, new interior/exterior, and still handle well.
I'll have to ask my source, but the 50th Anniversary model should be the first Stang with the new platform. The release date is the same as the 1964.5's
Old 8/21/08, 09:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Then the 2010+ will also have its 5 year run.
I mentioned before how just because the GRWD platform is ready for 2012/13, doesn't mean Ford will use it on the mustang right away.

Just thinking some more, the 2011 GT will allow ford some time to make some minor tweaks to the engine and suspension with the ability to test against the competition.

Like right now the only thing the Camaro knows, is how it will do against the current 05-09 mustang.
Old 8/21/08, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

I read that the GRWD was pushed back to 2014, which made perfect sense when my source told me that the 50th Anniversary model was still on schedule.

Ford was waiting around, trying to get a feel on how the market would be, especially with gas near or above $4.00 per gallon.

To be honest, I don't know if RWD cars are really feasible anymore, minus Sports cars & Muscle cars that is.
But.....it would be nice to see Ford re-create a car like the Torino or bring back some pride to the Crown Vic.
I've always liked T-birds(2 or 4 seaters), so I am all for that!

Ford....please do not give us a hog like the Challenger!
Old 8/21/08, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

NOT trying to be a traitor or anything, but they need to step up as the new camaro and challenger are pretty nice pieces of American iron. Come on Ford..... make the magic
Old 8/21/08, 12:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Actually, this is till a very good market for RWD, especially in the areas of sport, luxury and sport-luxury vehicles. If RWD economy can be kept competitive it will still do quite well in the right applications.
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
Ford....please do not give us a hog like the Challenger!
Unlike the LX platform for the Chally or the Holden Zeta which were designed for larger cars first and then cut down to their Muscle/Pony car size after the fact, Ford's GRWD is being designed from the word "Go" specifically for scalability. Done right, they should be able to keep the weight down on Mustang while still doing justice to MKR/Interceptor/whatever.
Old 8/21/08, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor

As I stated earlier, the only worry I have is with brakes which have thus far been an informational black hole.
It appears that the brakes are carry-over. I was hoping for an improvement too.
Old 8/21/08, 02:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
To be honest, I don't know if RWD cars are really feasible anymore, minus Sports cars & Muscle cars that is.
But.....it would be nice to see Ford re-create a car like the Torino or bring back some pride to the Crown Vic.
I've always liked T-birds(2 or 4 seaters), so I am all for that!
My thoughts exactly. Just imagine these two alongside the next generation Mustang

I'd love GRWD to spawn a new Thunderbird along the lines of the Forty Nine concept:

And a new Torino....something close to a modernised version of the '70 GT. 'Scuse the fuzzy photo, this was in a recent Mustang & Fords....
Old 8/21/08, 02:58 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the Forty nine was so beautiful, how i wish they had built it.
Old 8/21/08, 03:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
My thoughts exactly. Just imagine these two alongside the next generation Mustang

I'd love GRWD to spawn a new Thunderbird along the lines of the Forty Nine concept:

And a new Torino....something close to a modernised version of the '70 GT. 'Scuse the fuzzy photo, this was in a recent Mustang & Fords....
Couldn't do both, not nearly enough market to support the Forty-Nine, Torino, and Mustang.

I'd like to see a Fourty Nine-style car as a new T-bird, a super-premium Ford with all the stuff too expensive to use on the Mustang. But its a hard business case to make especially with the core products not up to snuff yet.
Old 8/21/08, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Then the 2010+ will also have its 5 year run.
I mentioned before how just because the GRWD platform is ready for 2012/13, doesn't mean Ford will use it on the mustang right away.

Just thinking some more, the 2011 GT will allow ford some time to make some minor tweaks to the engine and suspension with the ability to test against the competition.

Like right now the only thing the Camaro knows, is how it will do against the current 05-09 mustang.
I totally agree. I was wondering for a long time why Ford was bringing out the 2010 with the carry over 4.6 and then I realized that they are just letting the competition to play their hand first and will have some time to adjust accordingly. The new design will still keep the Mustang from appearing stagnant or outdated as well. It leaves them in a very good position in respect to Chevy and Dodge.

Personally I think the Bullitt, Shelby GT, Cali Special and the KR/Super Snake are less about limited editions and more about testing tweaks for the future. There has been a lot of complaining about the latest SE's just being tweaks rather than anything drastically different but I believe that's the point because we are going to have the same basic chassis for quite a few more years to come.

On a different note, the only thing I'm wondering is if we do get a 400hp 5.0 in 2011, where can they go from there? We have been steadily gaining HP since 74. When do we hit the ceiling of what's practical and doable within the confines of an affordable sports coupe?
Old 8/21/08, 07:47 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

grwd thunderbird torino
Old 8/21/08, 08:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
On a different note, the only thing I'm wondering is if we do get a 400hp 5.0 in 2011, where can they go from there? We have been steadily gaining HP since 74. When do we hit the ceiling of what's practical and doable within the confines of an affordable sports coupe?
That's a great question to ask, and I have a feeling 400hp might be the ceiling. I see gas concerns, insurance rates, and other factors preventing future "base" models from having so much HP.
Old 8/21/08, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
That's a great question to ask, and I have a feeling 400hp might be the ceiling. I see gas concerns, insurance rates, and other factors preventing future "base" models from having so much HP.
I'm inclined to agree, as I believe 385-425hp is the 'sweet spot' for cars like the Mustang GT. Although, I'm actually excited at the prospect of Ford hitting that sweet spot because that would mean that they could focus less on increasing the peak power rating and focus more acutely on......

...improving the overall torque/power band
...improving fuel economy
...improving cost to performance ratio
...making the car faster by other means (lighter weight, better gear selection)
...overdeveloping the chassis and brakes for the hp level

....all of which could serve to make maxing out the plausible peak power rating a truly sweet problem to have.
Old 8/21/08, 09:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I'm inclined to agree, as I believe 385-425hp is the 'sweet spot' for cars like the Mustang GT. Although, I'm actually excited at the prospect of Ford hitting that sweet spot because that would mean that they could focus less on increasing the peak power rating and focus more acutely on......

...improving the overall torque/power band
...improving fuel economy
...improving cost to performance ratio
...making the car faster by other means (lighter weight, better gear selection)
...overdeveloping the chassis and brakes for the hp level

....all of which could serve to make maxing out the plausible peak power rating a truly sweet problem to have.
hell yeah man! cuz you really don't need any more HP than that. Like you said if that gave them more time to develop better brakes and make a more balanced car I'd be happy
Old 8/21/08, 10:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Unless they throw a 6 speed in there for 2010. I mean if the 2011 5.0 is similar to the 4.6L, it should bolt right up. Give the 4.6 a nice MPG boost regardless of 3.73s.
I'm totally with you, but as we all know. There won't be a 6 speed in there, until at least 2011. But we can always hope that Ford may reconsider.
Old 8/21/08, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

We may well already be there...

Originally Posted by Clino
Old 8/21/08, 10:39 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,611 Posts
I'll have to ask my source, but the 50th Anniversary model should be the first Stang with the new platform. The release date is the same as the 1964.5's
John, my source had already confirmed that, nearly a year ago.
Old 8/22/08, 08:04 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Black GT500
Bzzzzz
Nope

It'll keep going from the looks of it

Quick Reply: 2010 same as 2008...Bullitt?