Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The 2010 is for a New Generation

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/08, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2010 is for a New Generation

Guys I think Ford actually made the 05-09 Mustangs for us Baby Boomers (although some younger folks love the car too).
It was our chance to get a Mustang that took us back to the 60's. The moment I saw an 05 I knew I had to have one.

But it's time for Ford to move on. The redesign of the 2010 was made in order to attract a younger buyer for the car (although some old guys like them). It's got a lot of the styling cues the younger generation likes.
I don't think the car looks awful, but there are certain things I really hate about it, and I truly have no interest in owning one- no matter what powertrains they offer.

I will happily drive my 08 GT500, and while I'm happy for those who will be buying a 2010- I'm sure not envious.
Old 12/10/08, 05:14 PM
Bullitt Member

No wonder, your rockin the GT500!

I tend to agree with everything you say, despite the fact that I'm in my early 20's and hate the 2010 and wouldn't trade my 07 GT for anything!

Originally Posted by Whammer
I truly have no interest in owning one- no matter what powertrains they offer.

I will happily drive my 08 GT500, and while I'm happy for those who will be buying a 2010- I'm sure not envious.
Old 12/10/08, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Each has its benefits and drawbacks. I'm a fan of both.
Old 12/10/08, 05:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm young and I'd take an '05 over a '10 any day.
Old 12/10/08, 07:11 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love my 05 but I'll take the 2010.
It's not like they are worlds apart anyway lookswise.

And the the future powerplants (if all goes well) will put what we have out now...to...SHAME.
Things will only get better.... but if you love the 05-09.. all the power to ya.
Old 12/10/08, 07:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the 05-09 stang and the 08-09 Challenger because they look classy. No gimmicks and cartoonish looks about them. People can call them plain but they are just great looking cars. I think to get the younger crowd you need to make things flashy and have all the bells and whistles. I would love to get a Challenger also but i doubt the wife would go for that.
Old 12/10/08, 09:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Guys I think Ford actually made the 05-09 Mustangs for us Baby Boomers (although some younger folks love the car too).
It was our chance to get a Mustang that took us back to the 60's. The moment I saw an 05 I knew I had to have one.

But it's time for Ford to move on. The redesign of the 2010 was made in order to attract a younger buyer for the car (although some old guys like them). It's got a lot of the styling cues the younger generation likes.
I don't think the car looks awful, but there are certain things I really hate about it, and I truly have no interest in owning one- no matter what powertrains they offer.

well said...I'm happy with ours, thank God for the opportunity to be caretakers of these cars for a while- hopefully a long while, but if I pass on tomorrow, or all the 'toys' were taken away tomorrow, I'd still say Ive been a lucky guy to have had my 'dream machine' come along in my lifetime at an affordable price...I'd always felt I was born too late, as to me 69 was the pinnacle of the American car- everything that year was cool, never woulda dreamed growing up that 'cool cars' would make a comeback...but in '04, saw the 05 mustang, and wow...it was 1969
to me the 010 is kinda the 1971 model- I 'kinda' like it, but cant picture ever wanting one enough to buy no matter what engine it has, just not 'it' ...so personally, the mustang has 'peaked' with the end of the 09 run...but your right- the '10 may be someone elses 'dream car', and I hope a lot of folks find the opportunity to also realize their dream in a new mustang/camaro/challenger whatever trips your trigger...personally not excited to think about the 'retro' trend going away, but guess it cant last forever- to me 'classic' lines never go out of style, but I'm probably in the minority that when I find comfortable shoes or clothes, I stick with the same old thing till they dont make them anymore, and imagine if I'm still around in10, 20 or 40 years, I'll still love the 05's as much as the first day I saw one...but most folks probably prefer 'newer'/updated things, so change is necessary to keep the market...hope a lot of folks see their 'new favorite' in the '10, both for their own enjoyment AND for Ford's survival. Its all good.

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/10/08 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12/10/08, 10:22 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Although I like the 2010 for the most part, It's just not enough for wanting to part with my current 05. So I'm going to hold out and wait for either a 2012-14 with the DI 400HP 5.0L 4V. Or just keep my 05 GT indefinitely.
Old 12/11/08, 01:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im also young and my 05 is not goin ne where. Some people like the 2010 but its just not for me. Im going to keep modding my 05 add a blower hopefully and than buy a challenger, and have both...god willing
Old 12/11/08, 05:22 AM
Cobra Member

I think that some of the older generation that do not already own a 2005-2009 Mustang will love it too. Even some of those that already own the current generation would have been ready to trade up for a 5.0 V8. However based on horsepower alone... the 2010 is not an improvement.

Check out the power dome hood and hips on this 1965 fastback!
Old 12/11/08, 06:08 AM

Smile My first new

I was born in '73 and always been a fan of mustangs. When my brother had one (1983?) back 20 years ago, I was to young to drive. My stepfather had a '71 convert. I never did get one But now, I can afford one and I am due for another car anyway. This will be my first new car purchase ever! I can't wait till Spring
Old 12/11/08, 11:50 AM
GT Member

New generation? new headlights and taillights aren't enough to start breaking down the '10 for a NEW generation. It's hardly different. The people that bought the '05-09 will buy this one,case closed. If you still like 05-09 better,great.....wonderful........don't buy the new car,who cares.......but don't go all philisophical about the holy son of god that is the '05 and how Ford is moving in another direction with this new car. You know what the only new direction this car is moving to,a interior that doesn't suck.
I liked the '99-04 better than the '05(blasphemy),but i don't make excuses for why i think mine is better or what i think Ford was going for with the '05(son of God),i like my taillights and it's fun to drive and i wanted one when i was younger.................................That's it. That's why i like my '04 better than the '05(the 2nd coming).....shocking. Quit whining about how this car is SOOOOO different than the '05(his holiness),because it's not,don't like the lights,don't buy it.
Also,baby boomers.................stop claiming ownership of the Mustang,it just happened to come out when you people started driving. Ford got lucky on the timing,but you people are just a small part of the 9 million people that have bought Mustangs and Ford did not make the '05(his majesty)for you no more than they did for me(son of boomer). God forbid,they EVER start aiming for one age group over another,we'll get PT cruisers and new T-birds and Scions if they did that.
The Mustang is great because it defies what age or gender a person is to own one. That's why Steve Mcqueen,Mary Tyler Moore,Carrie Underwood and my grandmother can own one and not a one of them looks out of place.....THAT,my friends..........is AMAZING.
Old 12/11/08, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mustang target demographic - "over 40" and "under 40"
Old 12/11/08, 01:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keeping my 08 forever... when it's paid off i might check out the 2014 mustang.
Old 12/12/08, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by KatarHol
...That's why Steve Mcqueen,Mary Tyler Moore,Carrie Underwood and my grandmother can own one and not a one of them looks out of place.....THAT,my friends..........is AMAZING.
Perfect!
Old 12/12/08, 10:32 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Also,baby boomers.................stop claiming ownership of the Mustang,it just happened to come out when you people started driving. Ford got lucky on the timing,but you people are just a small part of the 9 million people that have bought Mustangs and Ford did not make the '05(his majesty)for you no more than they did for me(son of boomer). God forbid,they EVER start aiming for one age group over another,we'll get PT cruisers and new T-birds and Scions if they did that.
The Mustang is great because it defies what age or gender a person is to own one. That's why Steve Mcqueen,Mary Tyler Moore,Carrie Underwood and my grandmother can own one and not a one of them looks out of place.....THAT,my friends..........is AMAZING.

First of all, nobody here is claiming ownership of a **** thing. As for us people whom you supposedly claim are just a small part of the 9 million that have bought Mustangs.

Well FYI, if it weren't for those small part of 9 million who protested to Ford back in 1987 when they had tried to replace the Mustang with the Ford Probe. There would be no Mustang today, as we know it.

And if that isn't good enough, it was also the majority of us baby boomers who kept Mustang alive once again, when Ford was looking for feedback from it's customers, in regards to the design of it's then new 1994 SN-95 model. In which we submitted to Ford, that the all new Mustang was to be a complete departure from the previous Fox generation, while at the same time, creating an all new design that also reflected upon the Mustang's heritage as well.

Although were only a small part of those 9 million, you accuse of claiming ownership of the Mustang. Perhaps you ought to show at least a little respect towards your fellow Mustang enthusiasts who were buying them long before people like yourself were even old enough to know what a Mustang was, let alone being able to drive one. Otherwise, you might all be driving around in nothing but ricers today.

Just my $.02

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/13/08 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12/13/08, 02:31 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Boomer
.... but if you love the 05-09.. all the power to ya.
Or NOT, as the case may be by 2011.

Old 12/13/08, 02:51 AM
Closet American

Also,baby boomers.................stop claiming ownership of the Mustang,it just happened to come out when you people started driving. Ford got lucky on the timing, but you people are just a small part of the 9 million people that have bought Mustangs and Ford did not make the '05(his majesty)for you...
It didn't "just happen" to come out. It was intentionally designed and built to appeal to our generation...our generation embraced it...and our generation made it a record-breaking success - in its first eighteen months, more than one million Mustangs were sold to our generation. Your generation wouldn't be driving one at all if it weren't for us.

So deal with it.

Ahhh, yeah...now lemmie see, which Stangs were those folks driving? Hmmm... Steve McQueen: '68...Mary Tyler Moore: '70...Carrie Underwood: an S197. All either classics or the new interpretation of the classics.
Old 12/13/08, 02:54 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Carrie had a 2000 before she won the S197.

http://www.rd.com/poll-archive-paren...icle19024.html
Old 12/13/08, 03:07 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Carrie had a 2000 before she won the S197.

http://www.rd.com/poll-archive-paren...icle19024.html
Everyone is entitled to have driven one car in life that sucked ballzzzzz.

Quick Reply: The 2010 is for a New Generation