2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

1st manual

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/09 | 11:31 AM
MOTM Committee Member

So this skip shift thing actually physically blocks the shift gates off when you're shifting a manual???
Old 12/29/09 | 11:43 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Geez, a first-to-fourth shift? Wouldn't that bog the engine down quite a bit, especially when you're just "cruising" around?
Old 12/29/09 | 11:51 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Geez, a first-to-fourth shift? Wouldn't that bog the engine down quite a bit, especially when you're just "cruising" around?
That's what I'm thinking! That is stupid. If the answer to my previous question is yes, then my next question is will it void my warranty if I get it removed?
Old 12/29/09 | 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
So this skip shift thing actually physically blocks the shift gates off when you're shifting a manual???
Yes, it blocks the shift gate, but only under certain conditions. Usually, skip shift only engages when you are shifting out of first in low rpm / light throttle / warm engine. Put your right foot closer to the floor and the skip shift will not engage.

Originally Posted by MARZ
It can. If you are just cruising around, you might not care.

That's what I'm thinking! That is stupid. If the answer to my previous question is yes, then my next question is will it void my warranty if I get it removed?
Probably not. The GM skip shift defeaters are plug and play.

Again I say- the skip shift is not stupid. It saves us $1000 on the gas tax and costs $30 to defeat. I say "Thanks, FMC!"
Old 12/29/09 | 12:08 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Yes, it blocks the shift gate, but only under certain conditions. Usually, skip shift only engages when you are shifting out of first in low rpm / light throttle / warm engine. Put your right foot closer to the floor and the skip shift will not engage.

It can. If you are just cruising around, you might not care.

Probably not. The GM skip shift defeaters are plug and play.

Again I say- the skip shift is not stupid. It saves us $1000 on the gas tax and costs $30 to defeat. I say "Thanks, FMC!"
Thanks for the info man! I'll await the $30 defeat. I won't call it stupid, but I just want to control when/where my car shifts because thats the whole reason to get a manual.

I see your point though...
Old 12/29/09 | 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I really am leaning toward getting a 5.0 but this car will be my first manual transmission car. How hard was it for you all to learn a manual? I have a friend with a 5 spd v6 and have driven it a couple times. I did pretty well. Do you all think it would be a bad idea getting the 5.0 or not?
Don't even worry about it. Get the manual for sure. Once you get used to it you will wonder why you ever bothered driving an auto. It won't be that hard to learn on a new GT.

When I bought my old 5.0 I had to get my dad drive it home for me because I didn't know how to drive manual yet. I had my fair share of stalling, and lurching and chirping the tires, not to mention a sore left leg (those old 5.0 clutches are HEAVY) but it comes pretty quick.

It won't be the easiest car to learn on, but after that any other car will seem easy.

A few weeks and you'll be rowing through the gears like a pro!
Old 12/29/09 | 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I really am leaning toward getting a 5.0 but this car will be my first manual transmission car. How hard was it for you all to learn a manual? I have a friend with a 5 spd v6 and have driven it a couple times. I did pretty well. Do you all think it would be a bad idea getting the 5.0 or not?

As someone who learned about 4 years after I got my drivers license in an automatic car, here are the things I would focus on while getting familiar with a manual transmission car -

1) understand the PRINCIPLE behind the gear selection process when accelerating from a stop, slowing down some to take a curved section of the road and then again accelerating, and when traversing a hill either up or down
2) try manually shifting an automatic through its gears in a parking lot to get the feel and sound of the engine as the gear ratio changes
3) practice the feel of selecting a gear then letting the clutch pedal out while pressing the gas pedal down in a car WITHOUT the engine turned on

From there, the mechanics of the shifting might seem to be more understandable when you try them for the first time. I stalled the car out a lot because I was not familiar with the above 3 items. After awhile, I did get the feel of it, especially when I felt the clutch "catch" without the engine revving up high. However, had someone explained those things to me, I probably would have become comfortable sooner.

Good luck!
Old 12/29/09 | 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info man! I'll await the $30 defeat. I won't call it stupid, but I just want to control when/where my car shifts because thats the whole reason to get a manual.

I see your point though...
I agree with you wanting to defeat it. That will probably be my first modification. I just like the skip shift more than I like the gas guzzler tax.
Old 12/29/09 | 12:40 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I agree with you wanting to defeat it. That will probably be my first modification. I just like the skip shift more than I like the gas guzzler tax.
Exactly
Old 12/29/09 | 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

ahh the smell of freshly roasted clutch lol.. don't worry 1 or 2 times aint bad
Old 12/29/09 | 12:42 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
ahh the smell of freshly roasted clutch lol.. don't worry 1 or 2 times aint bad
somebody say freshly roasted clutch?

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=479383
Old 12/29/09 | 12:55 PM
Cobra R Member

somebody say freshly roasted clutch?

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=479383
Well umm, besides that guy! lol
more money than brains ouch.
Old 12/29/09 | 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Clino
not to mention a sore left leg (those old 5.0 clutches are HEAVY) but it comes pretty quick.
Tell me about it I honestly think my left leg is bigger than my right. At a stop light I just put the car in neutral, because my clutch is so heavy
Old 12/29/09 | 05:49 PM
GTR Member

I was handed the keys to my first car, which had to be a manual, a week after I turned 16. It took me about 2 hours to learn how to take off, and within a few days I was driving everywhere and not worrying about stalling out. I have yet to own an automatic.

As for the skip shift, you can eliminate it with a little bit of work and some clever wiring. I'm sure someone will probably sell it as a kit, or, if it's easily defeatable by the PCM, then it'll be removed in a tune. Personally, it's a nice feature, but I don't want the car telling me how to drive and which gear to put it in. That's where manu-matics and autos are for. I buy the manual for MORE CONTROL over the vehicle.
Old 12/29/09 | 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Personally, it's a nice feature, but I don't want the car telling me how to drive and which gear to put it in. That's where manu-matics and autos are for. I buy the manual for MORE CONTROL over the vehicle.
I agree, but I believe the point of the skip shift is to avoid a gas guzzler tax, as mentioned previously. It is a small price to pay vs. a gas guzzler tax, and most people who put their foot down won't notice it.
Old 12/29/09 | 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
As someone who learned about 4 years after I got my drivers license in an automatic car, here are the things I would focus on while getting familiar with a manual transmission car -

1) understand the PRINCIPLE behind the gear selection process when accelerating from a stop, slowing down some to take a curved section of the road and then again accelerating, and when traversing a hill either up or down
2) try manually shifting an automatic through its gears in a parking lot to get the feel and sound of the engine as the gear ratio changes
3) practice the feel of selecting a gear then letting the clutch pedal out while pressing the gas pedal down in a car WITHOUT the engine turned on

From there, the mechanics of the shifting might seem to be more understandable when you try them for the first time. I stalled the car out a lot because I was not familiar with the above 3 items. After awhile, I did get the feel of it, especially when I felt the clutch "catch" without the engine revving up high. However, had someone explained those things to me, I probably would have become comfortable sooner.

Good luck!
I have been manual shifting my auto pretty much everytime I drive it bc I'm trying to learn the shift points. I know about letting the clutch catch by just slowly letting it out. I just can't wait to get my 1st manual trans car.
Old 12/30/09 | 02:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have a patient friend teach you if possible, on an older car that they/you don't care much about, as it may need a new clutch afterwards, depending on how quick you learn. I had a friend teach his wife how to drive stick and he needed a new clutch within a few weeks. Before I was married, I taught a couple girlfriends how to drive stick shift, I'm not the most patient person in the world, and it put a bit of a strain on the relationships (at least they learned on their cars, not mine).

I learned how to drive a car with a manual transmission when I was 13. I grew up out in the country, and would occasionally drive on the road or around the farm long before I got my license, and most of the cars my family owned had manual trannys. Luckily my wife learned how to drive on a manual trans car as well, and we both prefer them still. All five of our cars have manual transmissions, wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12/30/09 | 03:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

I bought my first stick shift when I was 19 without knowing how to drive one. I taught myself (I was embarrassed to ask anyone) in an hour or two without destroying the clutch. And we didn't have online videos in those days to help. So I think you will be fine. As another posted mentioned, I suggest practicing in an empty parking lot or other vacant area.

With that said, just be sure you have considered your driving patterns before buying a stick. I happily drove sticks for years when I had an easy commute, but switched back to an automatic due to bumper-to-bumper traffic when my commute changed. IMO manuals are only fun in light traffic or on an open road, but YMMV.