Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1st to 2nd shifting

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/12, 07:21 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st to 2nd shifting

I am having trouble with the 1st to 2nd shift under load. I have noticed that it, for whatever reason, gets stuck in the notch for reverse. It does not go into reverse of course, but the shifter sticks right in between the two gears. I have absolutely no issue shifting into any other gear under load. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this?
Old 6/7/12, 07:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The MGW Ltd shifter assembly will cure your shifting woes.
Old 6/7/12, 08:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
The MGW Ltd shifter assembly will cure your shifting woes.

I bet it will, now I just need to come up with $375 lol
Old 6/7/12, 08:58 AM

Yes, the $375 can be a problem, but the easier fix I think would be to take it to your dealer.
Old 6/7/12, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by abianchi
I am having trouble with the 1st to 2nd shift under load. I have noticed that it, for whatever reason, gets stuck in the notch for reverse. It does not go into reverse of course, but the shifter sticks right in between the two gears. I have absolutely no issue shifting into any other gear under load. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this?
Regardless of what an aftermarket shifter can do, that shouldn't happen - either you're doing something wrong or the car is, so have your dealer check it out.
Old 6/7/12, 09:15 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven two other V6 cars besides mine and one GT and have yet to experience this or any of the other often reported MT82 issues.

I'm glad my car has never had any shifting issues, other than the driver, but I'd like to drive one that has issues so I have a first hand experience with it.

So far to me it's just a ghost.
Old 6/7/12, 09:25 AM
V6 Member

Well, I don't really know what I could be doing wrong, I don't press down on the shifter to get it stuck in the reverse notch. I am not sure what would cause this.

I read other people having issues shifting from 2nd-3rd, which mine shifts beautifully for me.

I am not ruling out that I am not doing something wrong, but I've never had this issue with any other car.

Anyone have any tips on a different way of holding the shifter or something that could reduce this occurrence? I would say it happens about 50% of the time 1st-2nd.

Also, let me reiterate, this ONLY happens under heavy load, under normal driving it never occurs.

Last edited by abianchi; 6/7/12 at 09:26 AM.
Old 6/7/12, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I don't really know what I could be doing wrong, I don't press down on the shifter to get it stuck in the reverse notch. I am not sure what would cause this.

I read other people having issues shifting from 2nd-3rd, which mine shifts beautifully for me.

I am not ruling out that I am not doing something wrong, but I've never had this issue with any other car.

Anyone have any tips on a different way of holding the shifter or something that could reduce this occurrence? I would say it happens about 50% of the time 1st-2nd.

Also, let me reiterate, this ONLY happens under heavy load, under normal driving it never occurs.
Try holding the bottom of the shifter at the boot and push it into each gear and see if that helps. Hopefully that makes sense. There's a Youtube on this but I'm at work and can't access it. The video will help it make sense.
Old 6/7/12, 09:46 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jellowood
Try holding the bottom of the shifter at the boot and push it into each gear and see if that helps. Hopefully that makes sense. There's a Youtube on this but I'm at work and can't access it. The video will help it make sense.

So I should push it down into second instead of pulling down into second? I think I know what you mean if thats the case.
Old 6/7/12, 09:51 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It's a remote mounted shifter problem I think. Barton bracket will probably help a lot. MGW should end the problem. What rpm is it getting caught up?
Old 6/7/12, 09:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
It's a remote mounted shifter problem I think. Barton bracket will probably help a lot. MGW should end the problem. What rpm is it getting caught up?
6500-7000, although i havent tried shifting at 5-6k so i dont know where the problem "starts"
Old 6/7/12, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

So I should push it down into second instead of pulling down into second? I think I know what you mean if thats the case.
Yeah you're actually grabbing the shifter from behind and pushing it into each gear. Wish I could get you the Youtube link.
Old 6/7/12, 10:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Under extreme conditions you may be pulling the stick toward you as you shift possibly forcing the stick into the reverse notch as it tries to pass it.

Anyway, least expensive thing to try is the bracket first.
Old 6/7/12, 10:36 AM
GT Member

I've not had the 1 to 2 problem but have been having the 2 to 3 issue under load. With a quick search I found the following comments regarding the Barton bracket.
Hey all,

So I received the Barton Billet Shifter Bracket and Barton's white ball shift **** today and promptly ran out to install. I had been having problems with the 2-3 shift at full throttle. It's not that it would grind or was notchy, it just plain wouldn't go in! It felt like the 1-4 lockout but for 3rd gear. (I know it's not the economy shift lockout cause I unplugged the lockout solenoid) If I shifted a little slower, the shifter would slip right into 3rd gear. My theory after reading about the trans and remote shifter setup was that under load, the motor and trans is torque'd a little to one side causing the linkage and trans to be out of alignment with each other. When shifting slower, there's enough time "off load" for everything to drop back into alignment and allowing the smooth shift. I wasn't sure the Barton bracket would really help since it's just holding the shifter even more rigid to the body, but for $79, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

I won't go into detail about the install since there's a video out there that's pretty accurate. I will just say that space down there is tight and it was a little bit of a challenge to get the top two allen screws tightened.

Did it help? Hells yes. As others have mentioned, it definitely removes the mushy feeling of the stock shifter. The rubber on the stock bracket is incredibly soft. After I put the Barton bracket in, there was a more direct feeling to the shifter. A little notchy, but not really harsh. After driving around a little bit, I now know why the rubber on the stock bracket is so soft. I definitely felt more vibration through the shifter with the Barton bracket in. Anyway...on to the 2-3 shifts. On my way to the highway, I decided to do a quick 2nd to 3rd gear blast to see if it would even go into 3rd. The tires started spinning at the top of 2nd gear and kept spinning when I banged 3rd! That never happened before because either 1) it just wouldn't go into 3rd or 2) the slow shift dropped the rpm enough and gave the tires time to get grip again. Later on during the night, I got onto a highway onramp and stayed in 2nd gear and punched it as I got onto the highway. I shifted 3rd again and had the rear step out ever so slightly. I am definitely one happy camper now!

The shift **** did add a little length to the throw being that it sits a little higher than the stock **** so I can't do a direct comparison of how the Barton bracket feels from stock. Either way, the shifts are really nice now. I used to get a little bit of a notch when upshifting into 4th and sometimes into 5th. Those are gone now.

Anyway, I know there were a couple of you waiting to hear how the Barton bracket feels when used with the stock shifter. I don't have the serious 1-2 or 2-3 grind that some are experiencing so I can't comment on whether will help that issue or not. All I know is that it really tightened up the shifting and now allows me to get into 3rd gear at full throttle.

I think I'm going to give it a try after I get back from vacation in July.
Old 6/7/12, 10:43 AM

6500-7000, although i havent tried shifting at 5-6k so i dont know where the problem "starts"
That could also be a stock clutch issue. From what I'm seeing, the stock pressure plates seem pretty weak and are getting hung up at higher rpm's.

I had a problem with the above issue also. Being just locked out of gears with no grind. Clutch issue all day long.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 6/7/12 at 10:44 AM.
Old 6/7/12, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
That could also be a stock clutch issue. From what I'm seeing, the stock pressure plates seem pretty weak and are getting hung up at higher rpm's.

I had a problem with the above issue also. Being just locked out of gears with no grind. Clutch issue all day long.

Hmm, this has me wondering if it is my clutch. I find that sometimes after doing a hard pull the clutch grab point moves wayyyyyy lower on the pedal, it will grab about 2 inches off the floor instead of up towards where the clutch normally grabs. I just assumed this was normal and maybe it is, but I don't have enough experience with mustangs to know.
Old 6/7/12, 11:47 AM

Heat will effect the pressure plate a lot. I believe that the stock clutch isn't releasing far enough due to a weak spring and centrifugal force. The heat makes it even weaker.
Old 6/7/12, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I would just take it to the dealer as soon as you can. You don't need to worry about this headache if it's under warranty.
Old 6/7/12, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmm, this has me wondering if it is my clutch. I find that sometimes after doing a hard pull the clutch grab point moves wayyyyyy lower on the pedal, it will grab about 2 inches off the floor instead of up towards where the clutch normally grabs. I just assumed this was normal and maybe it is, but I don't have enough experience with mustangs to know.
This would happen on my '02 Mustang Gt alot
Old 6/7/12, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds to me like the OP may be pushing down (like shifting to reverse) on the shift **** enough for it to open the gate for reverse and catching the notch. I did that a couple times before I realized what was happening. I tried holding the shifter below the **** for a bit and all was well. Just a learning curve for me.

Quick Reply: 1st to 2nd shifting