Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

18 Hours In: A Review, Some Questions, Some Surprises, and Some Petty Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/14, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 Hours In: A Review, Some Questions, Some Surprises, and Some Petty Gripes

So, I officially left the dealership about 18 hours ago and currently have 150 miles on the new Brembo GT Premium. Note I now have a GT500 axle back exhaust installed as of this morning. I should also note that believe it or not, I had never driven an S197 until I left the dealership last night with my very own.

So, I have a little review, some questions, some surprises, and some petty gripes (most of which I knew about when I bought the car). So here it is:

Review:

Car is fantastic in every way. The car is quiet, no drone, no rattles, feels very solid. Powerplant is fantastic, but I haven't gotten into it yet, but you all knew that it was awesome anyway so need not say anything more there. The most I've done is punch it a couple times from a 60 mph roll and holy hell it's a freight train, make no mistake.

Car feels well built, but you can definitely feel the weight - car feels "substantial" I'd say. Steering is great, I like the different modes and the sport mode is perfectly fine, I don't miss hydraulic steering like most people do on most cars - Ford did a great job here.

I had some concerns about how the 19" Brembo wheels would ride day to day and I have no concerns now. They ride no harsher than the 17" wheels and respective low profile tires that my last car had. Car feels great in the curves, no detectable body roll. This suspension results in great handling and yet is perfectly compliant for daily driving. ZERO complaints here.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the MyColor and the 401A interior. The MyColor alone is worth the price of the Premium. Interior feels nice, driving position is fantastic although I'd like a *little* more of an armrest, but that's really my problem since I'm short and have the seat all the way up. The armrest is probably perfect for most people who are taller and have the seat further down and farther back.

The Xenons are AWESOME, and the LED fog lights throw an insane amount of light. I will never buy another new car without Xenons/LED headlights. No way, never again. The taillights are amazing, I love showing off the blinker as I cruise down the road.

Gas mileage is terrible. Averaging under 17 mpg with pretty much all highway, wtf (granted I punched it a bit on the freeway). This needs to improve as the car breaks in. I want to see 20 mpg when driving normal, or a bit north of 300 miles per tank.

So far no sync problems, works great with voice command. Glad I skipped nav and kept it simple. I like the look of the non-navigation center stack better too.

Overall great car.

Questions (any you can answer, great):

1) Biggest question - If it's daytime, and I have the headlights on (not set to automatic, just manually switched on), the MyColor does NOT work and the center stack dash lighting does NOT light up if there is too much light outside? I noticed as soon as I went under a bridge all of a sudden the MyColor and dash lighting all came on, then a few seconds after I passed under the bridge, all my nice MyColor (which I could still see in the sunlight) turned off and reverted to the standard white gauge lighting.

Is there any override for this? Last night with the headlights on the MyColor wouldn't kick on until nearly dusk, WELL after when I easily could see the MyColor and ambient lighting inside the car. At some point it just kicked on, I guess when it finally thought it was dark enough.

I want it set so that if my lights are on, my MyColor is on, outside amount of light be damned. Can I do that??

2) Pushing seat backs forward to access rear seats - I pull the lever to push the seatback forward, but then I can't return the seatback to the set position it was at prior to pushing it forward? Do I really have to reset the recline level every single time I move the seatback forward? Retarded if that's the case.

3) What's the lock on the passenger side sun visor for?

4) What's this thing in the lower grille? I think it's to plug into the heater, but not sure. Can I hide it/remove it?

Surprises:

1) Visibility out the rear is fantastic, I was expecting it to be terrible.

2) SYNC works better than expected, or perhaps I should scale this back to - SYNC works. I've seen a lot of people complaining about it, so mine seems to work well with my iPod classic in the console and my iPhone in my pocket.

3) A lot of people say the Shaker Pro is a waste of money and sounds like crap. My young ears disagree 100% and I'm thrilled I splurged for it. Most say the mids are muddy and there isn't enough treble. There is plenty of treble (I have always used the treble boost EQ on my iPod FWIW, not sure if that gets accounted for in the car's base EQ settings or overridden altogether by the car's EQ) and you can certainly make your ears bleed with the treble if you want. The subwoofer can pound out serious bass, but again, you don't need it that way. I have it set pretty low, just enough to fill out the sound. People say you pay $1300 literally just to add a sub, but I think there's more to it. I saw one person say that the sub takes the load off the midrange speakers so they can do a better job playing mids, and I'd agree. I'm certain you aren't paying $1300 just for a sub, because this sounds fantastic at all volumes with all types of music, and I'm picky with my sound. Ford puts out almost no info on this system, so it's pretty much all speculation.

4) I can't believe this car has no side marker blinkers. I thought for sure the rectangular amber/red reflectors on the side of the car would blink alternatingly with the front/rear blinker elements in the head/tail lights, but nope. The only blinkers on this car are the taillights themselves and the orange blinker in the headlight housing. This seems dangerous, and I didn't know you could still build a car without a proper side marker blinker.

Gripes:

1) Biggest gripe - no inner handle to shut the trunk, coupled with a piano black decklid panel = fail on Ford's part. Come on, $41k car and no inner trunk handle to close the trunk? Fingerprints be damned, nobody wants to get their hands dirty/salty/wet shutting the trunk. Maybe it has something to do with how hard it is to shut the trunk...

2) Second biggest gripe - Ford can't finish a trunk area to save it's life. The inside of the trunk seems cheap as hell, and the trunk mat is cut so unbelievably poorly, it actually flat out doesn't fit. It's actually more poorly finished than my '98 GT was, and that was not anything to be proud of.

3) Car has the comfort package which gives me a passenger power seat, but no lumbar support for the passenger.

4) Power seat - The seat has power tilting back and forth but no power recline? WTF?? Power tilt, I could live without…never been in any other car that had it, especially not prioritized over power recline.

5) Presence of AM/FM antenna. Petty I know, and this is obviously a holdover from the original 2005 design of the body style but they could've integrated it into the car. Same said for LED side markers in the side mirrors. Would be nice to have and could've been included in the 2010 refresh.

Overall I'm 1000% happy with the car and can't think of a car I would've rather bought at any price point. This is a fantastic car all around, and most of the gripes I have are pretty petty in the grand scheme. Look forward to many happy happy miles with this car.

Last edited by puma1552; 3/29/14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 3/29/14, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's your blockheater plug, you plug that in when the temperature goes below freezing and it warms the coolant in the engine block. Makes for easier starting a less wear in cold starts. Should be able to tuck that away especially if you don't plan to use it. Seems to me like an ugly spot to put it.

Mine will be very similar to yours, but manual/track pack and black exterior, black/blue interior. Great review of the new car, I'll make a note of some of these things when I get mine, and will watch your thread for the answers to some of your other questions.
Old 3/29/14, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Couple other *very* petty gripes I noticed:

-Can't hop out of the car and lock it with the button on the door, gotta use the key fob

-Sunvisors appear to be "bent" to the roof rather than molded, I thought manufacturers stopped doing that years ago.

But to balance that, a positive:

Even with a gray car, the attention is crazy! As I was pulling off the freeway today a guy in a 2014 535i cruised by and rubbernecked it hardcore and stuck a thumbsup out his sunroof, and I've had so many people (including hot chicks) staring at the car on the road…gotta love it! I could only imagine the attention with GHIG or Grabber Blue if I'm getting this much with gray.

Last edited by puma1552; 3/29/14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 3/29/14, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the only way to over ride your My Color issue is to put something over the light sensor on the dash... Congrats on the car!
Old 3/29/14, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I could be wrong but I think the only way to over ride your My Color issue is to put something over the light sensor on the dash... Congrats on the car!
Thanks!

Is that what that bulb thing is on the top of the dash? Figured it was either that or the compass.

I think that's kind of lame though, if I deem that it's dark enough to want to use my headlights, the MyColor should come on as well, regardless of the amount of light outside. At the very least we should be able to override it without covering the dash bulb.
Old 3/29/14, 02:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh my. I haven't seen a block heater plug since living in Alaska.
Old 3/29/14, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I believe that one sensor determines both when to turn on your automatic headlights (if you have them) and when to turn on your My Color lighting - different ambient light levels. I have not seen any way to adjust those settings.

You're right, the seat back does not return to the prior position. You have to adjust it. Some have made it a point to only access the rear seats from the passenger's side to avoid having to readjust the driver's seat.

You should have received a black plastic spring clip that can be inserted into the fitting on the passenger side visor. You can use it to hold your sun glasses when you are not using them, or some such thing. I use it to hold the microphone for the movie camera I use when autocrossing.
Old 3/29/14, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

One other surprise I forgot to mention - I'm surprised that the LED strips in the headlights are NOT daytime running lights, but rather they are the parking lights. Is this the case for '13s? I saw a bulletin from October 2013 saying that they were removing the LED running lights, so I was worried my car would come through without the LEDs at all. Perhaps they meant they were switching them from being running lights to parking lights?
Old 3/29/14, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I believe that one sensor determines both when to turn on your automatic headlights (if you have them) and when to turn on your My Color lighting - different ambient light levels. I have not seen any way to adjust those settings.

You're right, the seat back does not return to the prior position. You have to adjust it. Some have made it a point to only access the rear seats from the passenger's side to avoid having to readjust the driver's seat.

You should have received a black plastic spring clip that can be inserted into the fitting on the passenger side visor. You can use it to hold your sun glasses when you are not using them, or some such thing. I use it to hold the microphone for the movie camera I use when autocrossing.
Cool, thanks for those answers. So that's what that little clip in the bag is for, I was looking at that sun visor clip wondering what it was for, I have it still in the bag in the trunk (where I guess it will stay since I don't use sunglasses).
Old 3/29/14, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LED running lights on my 13
Old 3/29/14, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by califsp
LED running lights on my 13
So what do your lights look like when turned to the parking light position?
Old 3/30/14, 01:40 PM

The LED strips in the headlights turn off if you have the E-brake on and don't have the parking lights on, and they dim a little when you turn the headlights on.
Old 3/30/14, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Gas mileage is terrible. Averaging under 17 mpg with pretty much all highway, wtf (granted I punched it a bit on the freeway). This needs to improve as the car breaks in. I want to see 20 mpg when driving normal, or a bit north of 300 miles per tank.
You didn't say what gearing you have but that has a definite impact on it. In 46,000 miles tracking the mileage of my car ('11 GT w/ 3.31 gears) religiously, I'm averaging 21.7 overall, which is higher than most people seem to get.

1) Visibility out the rear is fantastic, I was expecting it to be terrible.
Guessing you noticed that the rear headrests fold down? If not, the visibility will be even better!

1) Biggest gripe - no inner handle to shut the trunk, coupled with a piano black decklid panel = fail on Ford's part. Come on, $41k car and no inner trunk handle to close the trunk? Fingerprints be damned, nobody wants to get their hands dirty/salty/wet shutting the trunk. Maybe it has something to do with how hard it is to shut the trunk...
That'd be my guess too - getting your hand out from under it before slamming it shut would be hard. I've found I can just use the edge of the spoiler with my fingertips so the dirt/fingerprinting isn't too bad.

2) Second biggest gripe - Ford can't finish a trunk area to save it's life. The inside of the trunk seems cheap as hell, and the trunk mat is cut so unbelievably poorly, it actually flat out doesn't fit. It's actually more poorly finished than my '98 GT was, and that was not anything to be proud of.
Yeah, I've been less than impressed with that too.

4) Power seat - The seat has power tilting back and forth but no power recline? WTF?? Power tilt, I could live without…never been in any other car that had it, especially not prioritized over power recline.
Guessing this is because it would take longer to flip the seat forward for people to get in if it was power. That, or it's because Ford has a long history of not doing power recline. My '97 Explorer had power seats with manual recline, as did my '88 Taurus wagon in high school.

5) Presence of AM/FM antenna. Petty I know, and this is obviously a holdover from the original 2005 design of the body style but they could've integrated it into the car. Same said for LED side markers in the side mirrors. Would be nice to have and could've been included in the 2010 refresh.
Personally, the built-in antennas are weaker than the external ones so that doesn't bug me.
Old 3/30/14, 05:04 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, I officially left the dealership about 18 hours ago and currently have 150 miles on the new Brembo GT Premium. Note I now have a GT500 axle back exhaust installed as of this morning. I should also note that believe it or not, I had never driven an S197 until I left the dealership last night with my very own.

2) SYNC works better than expected, or perhaps I should scale this back to - SYNC works. I've seen a lot of people complaining about it, so mine seems to work well with my iPod classic in the console and my iPhone in my pocket.
Hey puma1552,

I'm glad you are enjoying SYNC (and the rest of the vehicle) you know where to find me if you do have any questions about your system.

Kim
Old 3/30/14, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice review. My 14 GT is the same color as yours and I also get a lot of looks. My car is a base model so I don't have some of the options you have.

I have a little over 5,000 miles on mine and average about 23 mpg in mostly highway with some city driving. I also have an automatic transmission.

My car was built in Feb, 2013 and my LED bar lights are on while driving

My car locks the doors when using the button on the door.

I also don't like that the seatback doesn't return to it's previous position

These are nice cars. I've been really enjoying mine. Have fun with yours.

Wayne
Old 3/30/14, 08:15 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Congrats on the car. Enjoy it. I agree with several of your issues. Especially if one purchases a 'Premium'. Some of my pet-peeves:
* side mirrors do not fold.
* no real dead pedal.
* no telescoping steering wheel.
But, I love the way the car looks and drives. Mine's a 2011 GT, and I still get lots of stares!
Old 3/31/14, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
That'd be my guess too - getting your hand out from under it before slamming it shut would be hard. I've found I can just use the edge of the spoiler with my fingertips so the dirt/fingerprinting isn't too bad.
i do it the same way to avoid finger prints on decklid panel...

Last edited by CiniZter; 3/31/14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 3/31/14, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I also use the spoiler to shut the trunk lid...I've found I pretty much have to to get enough force to shut the trunk, just trying to slam it down from the decklid/faux gas cap isn't quite enough grunt to do it.

One other thing I found that I really like - the ability to have my parking lights and fog lights on at the same time...so many cars will not let you do this.
Old 3/31/14, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I picked mine up 2/27 and have a whopping 80 miles on it so far.....I love the sound of the GT500's so I am only averaging about 11.5 mpg as of now, mostly driving around town and a little out in the country.....I am sure that will improve as I put more miles on it and shift a little quicker around town...
Old 3/31/14, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone else notice just how much crap gets kicked up against the rocker panels when driving around? I swear the entire time I'm driving all I can hear is stuff getting kicked up against my rockers and it makes me cringe, never been in a car where I could hear that much stuff kicking up…it seriously is non-stop no matter how slow I'm going or how clean the road looks...

This must be because of the sticky summer tires?

Quick Reply: 18 Hours In: A Review, Some Questions, Some Surprises, and Some Petty Gripes