Vista Blue Vista Blue 2006+ Mustangs

Hood damage from idiot in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/11, 04:59 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hood damage from idiot in parking lot

I'm so pissed.

I don't even know when it happened, but sometime this week someone ran into my hood in a parking lot (I think it was the local grocery store, that's my best guess).

It was obviously a truck or SUV, since they totally missed the front bumper, and just mashed in the point of the front of the hood.

I didn't notice it until washing the car this afternoon.

Of course my deductible is $1000, so I've got to pay for most if not all of it myself, this just sucks! If the jerk that did this had had the decency to admit to it and leave me their info, it wouldn't be as much of a deal, but since I have to pay for their screw up myself, it just irks me that much more.

I've been going to that same grocery store for more than 6 years, I'm one of their "Elite" shoppers I go there so often. And I know they don't have cameras covering the parking lot, so there's no way I'll ever find out who did this. I'm just so pissed!

It's a steel hood from Reflexxion, so a new one is still available, if I want it. I will have to get estimates to straighten out the steel and for the repaint, but I've got a feeling that the cost will end up being either just below or just above my deductible, so I probably won't even file a claim.

I hate people!
Attached Thumbnails Hood damage from idiot in parking lot-hood1.jpg   Hood damage from idiot in parking lot-hood2.jpg   Hood damage from idiot in parking lot-hood3.jpg  
Old 12/9/11, 05:06 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks! Sorry to see that. I hate people too! I had a big ding in my door down to the metal where someone got it good.
Old 12/9/11, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The person in the truck was probably talking on the cell phone and doesn't even know they hit you...
Old 12/9/11, 07:18 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts
That sucks. I know how you feel, same thing happened to me in the parking lot at work over the summer.
Old 12/10/11, 02:38 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Being a bodyman and looking at those pics you posted. You might be able to straighten it out by yourself. Unless you have additional damage that we cant see in the pics it doesnt look too bad really.
Old 12/10/11, 04:31 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this out:

On the way home from North Carolina one time, I stopped at the original Bob Evans Farms in Rio Grande, OH. Having a Homestead Breakfast while looking out the window at my Mustang was enough to brighten any dreary windy early spring day.

I noticed a 4-door gray car park next to my car and as the passenger side door opens it slams up against my car! Of course, I'm in the middle of my Homestead breakfast and NOTHING is going to interrupt that so I continue eating.

I watched the 4 older ladies walk in and where they sit. I say nothing to them. When I'm finished, again in no hurry, I walk out to my Mustang and walk to my passenger side to check out the door and notice the door handle has a mark on it!!

It doesn't rub out either. I'm NOT a body guy although Ive learned a ton since then. Keep this in mind. This is something I eventually am able to fix myself with some work.

I didn't want to say anything to the old ladies, but one of my best friends is my insurance agent so I call. I'm told I MUST get their info just in case.

Reluctantly, I go inside and introduce myself to them and ask if they were in the gray car by the Mustang. They're all friendly and say yes. I ask if any of them remembered their car door hitting the car next to it. "Ohh no" sounding like they would NEVER do such a thing. lol

I said "well I was sitting right over there and watched the wind catch the door I guess and just smash into the side of my car." One of them then said "oh it was me" after a pause.

I look back at that day and laugh because I got the info from her right there but never even called to see if it was legit because I had a buddy that showed me what to do and I didn't want to bother with it.

Just LOVED the reaction how NO we would never do such a thing to oh it was me. lol

Person who hit your car would probably be same way. If I hit somebody like that, I'd like to say I'd walk in the place looking for whoever it was, but since I never make mistakes I've never had to find out what I'd do. :-)
Old 12/10/11, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I don't know what Nick's post was about because I was staring at his avatar lol
Old 12/12/11, 07:57 PM

Ouch, I feel for you. A few weeks ago someone ran into mine in the parking lot in the middle of the night and took off the whole front bumper.
Old 12/12/11, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Teh other day at my girl's apartment I came out to a note wedged into the seam between driver door and quarter panel. A female named Sara wrote a note explaining she hit my car cause someone tried to cut into the spot she was pulling into next to me. She left me her number with a ton of apologies on it. I do a full walk around and see nothing. Just two horizontal stripes less than a half inch on my quarter scoop and one line matching on the flat of the wheel well. I gently run my finger over it and the lines disappear.

I literally LOL'd in the parking lot. Here was someone so worried about hurting my Sophia that they owned up to it and it turns out the tire of their car left just some residual road dirt on the car. I even drove home and wached the spots to check if it scratched the clear.. nothing.

The sound of relief in her voice had me walking on air the rest of the day. It is so refreshing when people do the right thing and try to chip away my hatred for the society we are becoming.
Old 12/15/11, 10:03 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone.

BoogieNights, I'll try to straighten it out a bit, but being a steel hood (not aluminum), and that there is crease on the top where it bends down, I imagine it won't go away easily. I do need to at least try though, I can barely get my hand in there to open the hood latch right now, more room needed.

I actually had a better experience several years ago, someone left a note on the windshield after his motorcycle fell over into the passenger side of my truck (Toyota S-Runner, that was a fun truck!), and I saw the damage, but not the note. I thought it was just a flyer, they were all over.

A couple weeks later I was cleaning out the truck and finally saw that he had written a note on the back of the flyer. I called him, and he was nice enough to admit what happened, and paid for the repairs. It was only a couple hundred for a new trim piece, so I never got insurance involved.

Better than when someone sideswiped the same truck in front of the house, with a couple thousand in damages.

That truck got beat up alot.

I'll live with the hood the way it is for now, maybe get it fixed this spring with my tax return.
Old 12/15/11, 04:38 PM

I am willing to bet that the whole thing is on security tape at your market.

TBolt/Paul
Old 12/15/11, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide
Teh other day at my girl's apartment I came out to a note wedged into the seam between driver door and quarter panel. A female named Sara wrote a note explaining she hit my car cause someone tried to cut into the spot she was pulling into next to me. She left me her number with a ton of apologies on it. I do a full walk around and see nothing. Just two horizontal stripes less than a half inch on my quarter scoop and one line matching on the flat of the wheel well. I gently run my finger over it and the lines disappear.

I literally LOL'd in the parking lot. Here was someone so worried about hurting my Sophia that they owned up to it and it turns out the tire of their car left just some residual road dirt on the car. I even drove home and wached the spots to check if it scratched the clear.. nothing.

The sound of relief in her voice had me walking on air the rest of the day. It is so refreshing when people do the right thing and try to chip away my hatred for the society we are becoming.
Maybe she left you a note cuz she had a crush on you or something. That's a great way of meeting single people. Just sayin'
Old 12/15/11, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Egad don't let the woman hear that or she will slap a GPS on my Sophia and ankle bracelet on me!
Old 12/16/11, 09:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Time for a new custom hood maybe???
Old 12/17/11, 02:18 PM
Banned

That's why I park out in BFE. I'd rather walk to the store than drive to the body shop...
Old 12/19/11, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

One word: www.parkingbydesign.com

Last edited by davisinla; 12/19/11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12/19/11, 09:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
That's why I park out in BFE. I'd rather walk to the store than drive to the body shop...
This, you also save time since the spaces are generally vacant and not that far off when all the close spaces are taken.

I'd say I laugh at people who wait (beyond reason) for a spot to open up, but thats on a big list of things that absolutely rankles me. Its also not so bad when the person is obviously handicapped since there seems to be an epidemic of mentally handicapped people (I watch these jokers hop out all the time with no apparent physical issues) who infest the regulalry handicapped marked spots.
Old 12/21/11, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bob

This, you also save time since the spaces are generally vacant and not that far off when all the close spaces are taken.

I'd say I laugh at people who wait (beyond reason) for a spot to open up, but thats on a big list of things that absolutely rankles me. Its also not so bad when the person is obviously handicapped since there seems to be an epidemic of mentally handicapped people (I watch these jokers hop out all the time with no apparent physical issues) who infest the regulalry handicapped marked spots.
Haha yea man I'm already in the store by the time they find a spot
Old 12/21/11, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry to hear that dude...

Last week I was parked outside my gf house and left a little later then usual and found my mirror dangling off my car.. went back to check the security cameras and it turns out to punks kicked my mirror in for no reason ... got off kind of easy the guy around the block had two broken mirrors and a headlight but man i was furious
Old 12/22/11, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mptant913
Sorry to hear that dude...

Last week I was parked outside my gf house and left a little later then usual and found my mirror dangling off my car.. went back to check the security cameras and it turns out to punks kicked my mirror in for no reason ... got off kind of easy the guy around the block had two broken mirrors and a headlight but man i was furious
Should be punishable by death...

Quick Reply: Hood damage from idiot in parking lot