Tungsten Grey Tungsten Grey 2006-2007 Mustang

Tungsten Purple

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/06, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After waiting 9 months for mine, I decided to go for the new 06 Tungsten Grey instead of 05 Satin Silver I tried to order last March. Tungsten looked like dark silver to me on photos, Ford website, etc. Car arrived yesterday, and I agree, at certain angles/reflections it appears purple or pink! I thought Tungsten was a strong color and not a girlie-man color. I think I agree with the flecks of blue and red, especially with the Crimson interior, it does give some character like the Cimeron(?) paint of the Cobra years ago which changed in the light......I still like the color, I think it looks tough, but I hope people don't think it's dainty.
Old 1/16/06, 11:10 PM

how could you not like this color
Old 1/16/06, 11:12 PM

how could you not like this color
Old 1/18/06, 02:29 PM
GT Member

Here's a pic I should have posted awhile back with the fall colors.....I love the Tungsten color....
Old 1/21/06, 12:34 AM
V6 Member

I've noticed, and maybe it's just me, or all the grey overcast skies lately, but it seems that my stang's paint is more of a consistant grey now. Almost looks like the 'titanium grey' we were expecting. I don't see the purple tint nearly as often now. In really bright light, or near a large blue/purple item like a sign or large structure, yeah, the purple is there. But it's not as strong as I remember when I first got it home from the dealer and did the double take. If anything, the car almost looks more like a pewter color.

Anyone notice this? Maybe the clear coat is...darkening, or my recent wax job?

Or is my brain just phasing out the purple tint?

Still love the color, even with it's changing properties, gives it personality.

I'm rambling. It's late. Need sleep. Which is bad considering I still have to drive home, and the roads are supposed to be very icy!
Old 1/21/06, 12:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The tungsten DEFINATELY has a lavender cast to it, but its done well. BMW has used a very simillar color on their cars for years. It works well on the stang and the fusion.
Old 3/8/06, 01:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I ordered a Tungsten Mustang GT too, after only seeing it in pics, and on a V6 mustang indoors on a cloudy day. After seeing a couple TG GT's on the road and a couple more in the dealer lots, I'm glad I did. It's an unbelieveable color. Of all the times I've seen it, never once have I seen the purplish hue, except in pictures, in which I think comes out a little more pronounced than it actually is. Example is yesterday I stopped into the dealer and saw a GT that was TG w/ quicksilver stripes. After reading all the complaints about the purplish hue, I strained to see it but didn't see anything. I snapped this pic with my camera phone, and low and behold, it looks kind of purpleish, even though in person it looked perfectly gray. Another interesting note, the stripes on the GT apparently aren't paint, they're tape. But then it looks like the put on a healthy layer of clearcoat over it. And yeah, that's another GT right next to it. The dealer has 2 right now, they say they've sold about 9 in total.

[attachmentid=46461]

And on another side note, I think silver paint jobs with more contrast and luster in general can look more purplish under blue skies than silver paint jobs with more of a satin look. look at this pic I found of a nissan 350Z, which looks kind of purple.

[attachmentid=46463]