Black Black 2005+ Mustangs

Teflon treatment from dealer - Good? Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/06, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teflon treatment from dealer - Good? Bad?

Does anyone know whether a teflon treatment put on by the dealer is a good choice for my black GT/CS?

Now, I'm thinking of having the Ford dealer put a telflon treatment on my black GT/CS that will be my daily ride. They have to do a complete detail of the car, before applying. I want to show the car in the local shows but, don't want to limit my ability to get the deepest gloss on each polish.

About three-years ago, I had the Dodge dealer put a 5-year finish / sealer on my black durango. Right up to the day I traded it in, I could polish a high-gloss even after three years of treating it like a truck.

What are your thoughts?

-Glenn
Old 12/16/06, 05:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't waste my money unless they KNOW what they are doing and claybar it first. Even then, I doubt what they do is any better than what your could do yourself, and I almost guarantee you could get it done better, for less money, elsewhere.
Old 12/16/06, 05:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine came with it (dealer demo). I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference. I treat it the same as if it didnt have it.

IMHO don't bother with it.
Old 12/23/06, 09:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Definitely . Don't waste your money.
Old 12/23/06, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone.

What I am mostly concerned about is whether this treatment will limit my ability to obtain the deepest gloss, after the treatment. The dealer subcontracts to a company that specializes in teflon treatment; the job takes approximately 7-hours. I am told that they completely detail the car first before applying.

The teflon treatment was built into the price a couple of weeks ago; however, I've held-off on getting it done. I'm sure they will let me apply the credit to something else, if I change my mind.

On The Flip Side -
Outside of this forum, I heard that the treatment is actually worth it since, my water is so horribly hard and I live in the middle of a lemon orchard. When the spray rigs come through with pesticides, fertilizer, etc., the overspray sometimes gets on the cars.

One guy that I talked to said, with his car, washing is simple since most of the crud on his car rinses off, sometimes with a little help. He said even water spots don't stick, which was music to my ears since my last black car couldn't be washed at home as the water left spots that could only be buffed-out. I do not want to take this baby to a car wash!

According to the dealer, the warranty also covers against water spots sticking... I'm gonna talk to a couple body shops before making a decision.

Thanks again! You've all helped me consider other options.

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Definitely . Don't waste your money.
Old 12/23/06, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
don't do it
Old 12/24/06, 01:03 AM

Why?
Old 12/24/06, 01:13 AM

Water Spots are the pitts!

So... I tried to wash the car with the "Revolutionizer" and "Mr. Clean's Spot Free" with minimal success. Both units state that you can rinse then let dry without worry of spots. I not only have spots, they're all over the place and Macquire's Cleaner Wax & Polish couldn't remove them.

Do I have to use clay bar to remove the spots (I don't have a power buffer) or is there something specifically for removing spots?

I was thinking of trying one of those self wash places where you put a couple bucks in the machine and you use a wand to wash the car. There are a couple of them that treat the hard water.

Spots suck!

Originally Posted by Glenn_07GTCS

What I am mostly concerned about is whether this treatment will limit my ability to obtain the deepest gloss, after the treatment. The dealer subcontracts to a company that specializes in teflon treatment; the job takes approximately 7-hours. I am told that they completely detail the car first before applying.

The teflon treatment was built into the price a couple of weeks ago; however, I've held-off on getting it done. I'm sure they will let me apply the credit to something else, if I change my mind.

On The Flip Side -
Outside of this forum, I heard that the treatment is actually worth it since, my water is so horribly hard and I live in the middle of a lemon orchard. When the spray rigs come through with pesticides, fertilizer, etc., the overspray sometimes gets on the cars.

One guy that I talked to said, with his car, washing is simple since most of the crud on his car rinses off, sometimes with a little help. He said even water spots don't stick, which was music to my ears since my last black car couldn't be washed at home as the water left spots that could only be buffed-out. I do not want to take this baby to a car wash!

According to the dealer, the warranty also covers against water spots sticking... I'm gonna talk to a couple body shops before making a decision.

Old 12/24/06, 08:48 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to do it at home, and dry your car... preferrably with a leaf blower.
Old 12/28/06, 07:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn_07GTCS

On The Flip Side -

Most auto body paint suppliers carry the same Teflon for about $25 to $50 a bottle the same product dealers will charge you Hundreds of dollars for! This treatment has been one of the biggest over priced rip offs ! in the Auto industry for years! Take a day do it yourself and save a few hundred dollars!...
Old 12/28/06, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Not sure where you live but if you have favorable weather right now, here is what helped my car not have spots on it.

1. Naturally if you can wash it before sun up or at sundown as the sun drying the water beads before you can dry is a big contributor to spots.

2. Make sure to use a PH balanced car wash solution, most store brands are incorporating this (meguires NXT car was is one of them)

3. Use only filtered water to rinse and wash the car, for this I used the Mr. Clean hose attachment (not the car wash as it always left spots) the filter and particle catcher really helped clean up my water.

4. use a leaf blower to dry the car, I know you may look stupid doing it (I know all the people staring at me did not think I looked to cool) but I never had water spots on my car when doing this.

I hope this helps you out. My car may not have been black but trust me Vista Blue is almost as bad....it's like the color should be called Bluack.
Old 12/29/06, 03:04 AM

Now this is useful information. I'll ask for thier opinion as well.

A friend said that when the dealer first applied the teflon coating to their new car, the paint looked like it was just armor all'd. After a few weeks the shine went away. That doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. Since I already paid for it, maybe I'll have the dealer do it to my wife's maroon Explorer.

Thanks for you advice!

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Most auto body paint suppliers carry the same Teflon for about $25 to $50 a bottle the same product dealers will charge you Hundreds of dollars for! This treatment has been one of the biggest over priced rip offs ! in the Auto industry for years! Take a day do it yourself and save a few hundred dollars!...
Old 12/29/06, 03:15 AM

I live in So. Cal. where the weather is always favorable .

1. I've tried washing at sun down, in the shade, etc. with no luck in the past but, I'll try your other tips at sun down.

2. I'll get some NXT and 86 the Mr. Clean wash.

3. I used Mr. Clean's wash in the spot free (filtered) sprayer but, as you said, spots galore. The sprayer, in wash mode, mixes the soap with unfiltered water. I will fill a bucket with filtered water and NXT next time.

4. I'll try the leaf blower. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, the only ones that would think using the thing on my car is crazy are my kids and wife but, they already think I'm crazy so, I'm good there

Thanks for your help. I might have time on Sat to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works-out.

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Not sure where you live but if you have favorable weather right now, here is what helped my car not have spots on it.

1. Naturally if you can wash it before sun up or at sundown as the sun drying the water beads before you can dry is a big contributor to spots.

2. Make sure to use a PH balanced car wash solution, most store brands are incorporating this (meguires NXT car was is one of them)

3. Use only filtered water to rinse and wash the car, for this I used the Mr. Clean hose attachment (not the car wash as it always left spots) the filter and particle catcher really helped clean up my water.

4. use a leaf blower to dry the car, I know you may look stupid doing it (I know all the people staring at me did not think I looked to cool) but I never had water spots on my car when doing this.

I hope this helps you out. My car may not have been black but trust me Vista Blue is almost as bad....it's like the color should be called Bluack.
Old 12/29/06, 05:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good points above. Wash it in the shade, use the Mr. Clean to filter the water, use NXT car wash, and dry it immediately. I don't have a leaf blower yet, but I'm getting one. I dryed the car the other day with an Absorbz towel (which works pretty good and doesn't scratch the paint), but just driving around the block one time, water came out of all kind of crevices and I had to dry it again. A leaf blower will blow that water out of the cracks. Also, never use a cotton or terry cloth towel on painted surface, it will leave swirl marks. Use microfiber towels.
Old 12/30/06, 09:46 PM

The Water Spots are killing me!

Ok... couldn't find NXT wash so, I bought Mother's PH balanced wash. Used all filtered water (Revolutionizer), washed 1/2 of car in shade then drove down the street to get the water off. Washed other 1/2 and drove again. Still had spots!!! Fortunately, these spots seem to be easier to get off during the wax session.

I then broke-out the clay bar to get the spots from the last wash. It didn't work!!! Even the spots I worked the hardest on wouldn't come off. What the heck am I supposed to do?

I need to find a place I can was the car that doesn't have such hard water.

I don't have a power buffer and will probably have to have a shop take the spots out.

Any further thoughts??

Originally Posted by Glenn_GT07CS
I live in So. Cal. where the weather is always favorable .

1. I've tried washing at sun down, in the shade, etc. with no luck in the past but, I'll try your other tips at sun down.

2. I'll get some NXT and 86 the Mr. Clean wash.

3. I used Mr. Clean's wash in the spot free (filtered) sprayer but, as you said, spots galore. The sprayer, in wash mode, mixes the soap with unfiltered water. I will fill a bucket with filtered water and NXT next time.

4. I'll try the leaf blower. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, the only ones that would think using the thing on my car is crazy are my kids and wife but, they already think I'm crazy so, I'm good there

Thanks for your help. I might have time on Sat to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works-out.
Old 1/26/07, 10:26 AM

Take the sprayer off the hose and pour the water on... it will sheet off. Then mist the car with a detail spray.. and wipe the car with a microfiber towel.. no spots!.. and it's easy.

Originally Posted by Hatchman
Good points above. Wash it in the shade, use the Mr. Clean to filter the water, use NXT car wash, and dry it immediately. I don't have a leaf blower yet, but I'm getting one. I dryed the car the other day with an Absorbz towel (which works pretty good and doesn't scratch the paint), but just driving around the block one time, water came out of all kind of crevices and I had to dry it again. A leaf blower will blow that water out of the cracks. Also, never use a cotton or terry cloth towel on painted surface, it will leave swirl marks. Use microfiber towels.
Old 1/26/07, 03:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree Mike (good name). Everytime I wash my car, I dry it with Wax-as-you-dry and a chamois. If the car happens to see rain [which would be unexpectedly], the rain just beads up and rolls right off the car, especially when driving. It is quite a sight.

But either way, if you keep a good coat of wax on the car, you shouldn't have a problem with stuff sticking to the car. But, make sure you dry the car, either with the leaf blower, or with a chamois and wax-as-you-dry. This will prevent spotting, which will prevent etching of the paint