Black Black 2005+ Mustangs

2006 Mustang GT. Normally Aspirated or Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/07, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mustang GT. Normally Aspirated or Supercharged?

First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post.
Now, my subject is this: I have a 2006 Mustang GT automatic. My intention is to build a Shelby GT500 rival. I have the exterior, interior, brakes, wheels, tires, and handling parts all figured out. As far as engine and exhaust is concerned, I thought it would be interesting to see how for I could push things without forced induction while still maintaining civilized road manners. Here is what I have come up:

1. Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) drag pack which includes a 90 mm cold air intake, shorty headers, 3.73 rear gears, and a pro-cal tuner

2. FRPP left / right CNC machined heads plus appropriate camshaft, followers and hydraulic lash adjusters

3. FRPP axle-back racing mufflers

4. FRPP x-pipe

5. FRPP charge motion plates / control valve

6. Steeda underdrive pulley system

7. GT500 Oversize 62mm throttle body

8. 67mm thottle body spacer

9. Plasma Booster (check mossmustang.com)

10. Oil Cooler Kit (check mossmustang.com)

11. Performance Windage Tray (check mossmustang.com)

12. Spark Plug Connector Kit (check mossmustang.com)

Price for items 1 through 12 is roughly $6550 minus installation and, if my math is right, about 174hp over stock. I realize some of the horsepower figures quoted by distributers are at the crank shaft, but I figure most are at the rear wheels. All of this would be mated to a Level 10 automatic transmission and clutch system (levelten.com).

What do you guys think? Am I missing anything? Anything unnecessary / dangerous? Should I scrap the whole idea and just do the exhaust, transmission, gears, and a Paxton NOVI 2200? Thanks.
Old 12/2/07, 12:07 AM
whs
GT Member

Personally, I would go with the intercooled whipple kit. Modular Depot is having their end of year special, 5639 shipped. Pick up a tuner for cheap and use their free tune with it. That would put you close to the 500hp mark. The extra money you could put toward D-Specs and Steeda Sport springs.

You can do just the shocks, struts, and springs but to get the most out of the car you should really replace some of the other parts too. Like sway bars (at a minimum replace the rear), Adj. Panhard rod, Adj. UCA (Granatelli had/has these parts on sale), LCA relocation brackets. If you hunt around you can get some really good deals on used parts from other members.

There are some additional things that can be done, like a new inlet elbow, t-body, CAI, smaller pulley for the whipple, or long tube headers that can get you extra power later on down the road if you feel the need.
Old 12/3/07, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Supercharged......
Old 12/4/07, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'd have a hard time building a GT500 without going supercharged. I haven't heard of an NA cars with over 450rwhp, and those who are anywhere near that have done a lot of work and spent probably more than what a SC would cost. I had contemplated doing all NA, but in reality, I don't go to the track and just want some more pep for around town, so I'm going the cheaper route and will just slap on a Saleen Stage IV next year.

-danny
Old 12/7/07, 10:25 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1. Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) drag pack which includes a 90 mm cold air intake, shorty headers, 3.73 rear gears, and a pro-cal tuner

Just get a CAI and Tuner from a good Tuner (Brenspeed, Bama,etc. etc) Shorty headers gets you very little, gears are OK HP=30 for $1000

2. FRPP left / right CNC machined heads plus appropriate camshaft, followers and hydraulic lash adjusters

The Stock Heads are fine but check out Brenspeeds new Comp Cams.
HP= 30 for $1000

Pently of different axle-backs to choose from HP= 10 for $330 to 600

4. FRPP x-pipe

X-pipe for a Rasty sound H pipe for a deeper bass sound HP= 10 for $200

Good Mod HP= 15 for $150

HP= 7 to 10 for $200

Not sure about this one

A waste of money HP= 0 for $50 to 100

Another waste of money (the are even on clearance and can't sell them)

I'm thinkin there is already a oil cooler on the car.

There is already a good one in the oil pan from Ford

Unless you have Spark plug blow by (usally with a Supercharger) this is another waste of money.

Before I when with a Saleen SC it was all I could do to get 290rwhp (dyno'ed) with a CAI and tune, Electric H2O pump, Steeda UDP's, Spydershaft Alum DS., Imco axle-backs with a 5-speed. You will fins it very hard to get 325 hp even with some Cams. You can get a SC kit for $5000 and I'm at 430rwhp with a 3.6 pulley, 39lb injectors, and some fuel pump work done.
Just my opinin but look around there are better engine and HP mods to be found.

Old 12/7/07, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

And this is the beauty of the mustang SOURCE!

I agree with the above post. I have also crunched the numbers on the N/A shelby killer. Not going to get close without ALOT of money if you are going N/A and in the end it won't be too streetable.

You could spend $10,000.00 building the motor, or spend $4,000.00 for centrifugal S/C and make the same power in a streetable car.
Old 12/8/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

What William said is correct call Modular Depot and speak to Ken he will guide you to the right set up so that you can accomplish your goal without breaking the Bank!
Old 12/10/07, 12:22 PM
GT Member

dly pretty much said it all. Supercharger all the way. I am planning on one once I can get rid of these car payments. Most of the mods you've listed won't yield much (if any) HP such as the throttle body spacer, axlebacks, spark plug connector kit, shorty headers, windage tray, plasma booster. 174 HP increase, even at the crank, would be a miracle. Just for future reference, you can never simply add up the HP claims of various parts you are installing. It would be nice, but the cumulative effect never seems to show on the dyno.

In an auto you'd probably be happiest with a intercooled blower, multi clutch torque converter, suspension upgrades and better tires. With a conservative tune, you would be probably safe on stock internals and tranny.

And about the oil cooler, I have a 3K converter and even sitting in traffic, my trans temp gauge has crested 200 maybe once. The stock one is fine. Good luck Edit: I didn't look at the moss mustang oil cooler til just now. I saw that OP had an auto and assumed he wanted to upgrade the trans cooler. Still unnecessary though.
Old 12/10/07, 12:28 PM
V6 Member

Intake, headers, and tuner are junk. You can do much better with aftermarket. Gears are OK.

No comment

Won't give any performance, this is just for sound preference.

4. FRPP x-pipe

Cut and clamp replacement for the H section, you could find a better one.

Good mod; but you'll probably have to get them through Steeda and they're going to cost like $140, no $90 like in the FRPP catalog.

Good mod.

Useless unless you have FI.

Completely useless, don't waste your money.

No comment

No comment

I think these are useless, but thats just an opinion.

No comment.
Old 12/10/07, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor

Turbo baby

It will be hard to beat a Turbo Auto trans car and if you mentally committed to the $6500 range in post 1, then you are in teh ball park. What ever you do, Forced induction is the only cost effective way to eat a GT500. GMS has a turbo kit that rocks and we have all the suspension for the S197 cars that make them handle awesome. If N/A is still your choice, GMS has a cold air kit that will eat the FRT parts, we offer the GT500 t-body upgrade for $399.00 and We have stainless 304 systems in both 2.5 and 3 inch - they sound great and make power

My comments below as well

Intake, headers, and tuner are junk. You can do much better with aftermarket. Gears are OK. - AGREED

No comment - a lot of money for not a lot of power

see above

Good mod; but you'll probably have to get them through Steeda and they're going to cost like $140, no $90 like in the FRPP catalog. Not a huge fan of these.

Good mod. GMS has then as well for $175.00

$399 from GMS

Completely useless, don't waste your money. I agree 101%

GMS Coils - 30kv version - $299 a set

I think these are useless, but thats just an opinion. - I like them but again a lot of time and money for VERY little

These come from GMS - so naturally I like them

If this whole post from me sounds like I am pro GMS product - I am but my comments are still valid