Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

why ford dont make a corvette/viper killer once for all???

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/06, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I know... the ford GT, but it costs more than twice a corvette, and the GT500 is just no competition even for a standart corvette...
I love mustangs I think they are prettier than any of the other american cars out there, but come on ford, can't you make a 80k car that really is up to a vette or a viper???

why match the vette and the viper in price instead of matching them in specs and technology?
being real, the GT500 is a great killer of a charger srt8 a new camaro, a challenger, but a vette and a viper are out of its league...
it is sad, I feel like ford doesnt have the technology to make such a car, but then you can buy a fact 5 kit car, drop in a ford motor with 550 horses, and for 35k you get a car that will kick A$$, but why ford don't or can't make such a car???

please someone enlighten me, or explain me this, or if there is some project in the works, let me know.
I want to have 80k to invest in a car in the next 4 or 5 years, and I want to buy a FORD!

Maybe I am bitter because these dealer guys keep putting 15k over sticker on the GT500...
even the sales man told me he would not buy a GT500 if it was for him!!!
a sales person from a ford dealership telling me that..

I love the Ford GT but the price is for superstars only...
not for middle high class people like the vettes are...

I want a FORD that can beat or be in the same line as a vette or a viper is that too much to ask???

COME ON FORD!!! dare to make it happen, I was thinking you saw the light when models like the ford GT and the mustang started appearing, but looks like the 60's again... after the mustang 70, it was all krapp...looks wise at least.

build me 2 seater with 550 horses on the 80k line...
that can handle right.
the guys from dodge catch up on the fantastic idea of the ac cobra and built the viper... the vette originally was like a ford thunderbird alike, size wise at least...
WAKE UP !!!

I LOVE MY MUSTANG THOUGH...
I thnk it is the best thing ford pulled out of the fabric line since the last 1970 mustang...
keep em coming!!
Old 12/18/06, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Marty, you said it early on. "Factory 5". Prior to retirement down here I lived where those are built. Now there really is a powerhouse Ford out there, not a kit car either, and built in Geogia with the Cobra Engine & Drivetrain. It is a killer car for looks and power, and for a base price at 75k, they can build one for you. PANOS !! the Esperante GT.
Old 12/18/06, 08:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I feel the same way. BUT, has a "standard" Mustang ever beat a "standard" Corvette? This isn't anything new, it has been a 40+ year losing battle. Even now, nobody can compare the Mustang GT to a Vette... the GT500 can barely hold a candle.
Old 12/18/06, 09:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch!! but you can't get in and out of a vette. selling my ZR-1 was one of the more sensible things I've done. Not to mention it was a B to work on. and all the modding, was just R & R, and usually required. Plus, how in the heck do you personalize a vette. They're all the same. At least our's are all the same, but different.
Old 12/19/06, 03:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

This is the million dollar question in the auto industry!...Yes where is the 60.000 to 80.000 dollar! Ford sports car moniker at, its never existed and why !...Carrol Shelby had to do it for them in the 60's.. with great success and demand! Roush, Salleen.. and others are attempting it today!.. with marketability and success! In reality the Corvette as far as production numbers go generates no real revenue for GM and truth be known is lucky to break even in building the Corvette! but thats not what the Corvette is about! ...its Flag ship reconition!..yes the Corvette image has help sell a lot of lesser Chevy models over the years! Chrysler finally realized this and built the Viper!.. and even the Prowler! for the same reason. Will Ford ever wake up! ...I hope!! but until then.. I'll keep bolting mods on my Stang!
Old 12/19/06, 03:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

This is the million dollar question in the auto industry!...Yes where is the 60.000 to 80.000 dollar! Ford sports car moniker at, its never existed and why !...Carrol Shelby had to do it for them in the 60's.. with great success and demand! Roush, Salleen.. and others are attempting it today!.. with marketability and success! In reality the Corvette as far as production numbers go generates no real revenue for GM and truth be known is lucky to break even in building the Corvette! but thats not what the Corvette is about! ...its Flag ship reconition!..yes the Corvette image has help sell a lot of lesser Chevy models over the years! Chrysler finally realized this and built the Viper!.. and even the Prowler! for the same reason. Will Ford ever wake up! ...I hope!! but until then.. I'll keep bolting mods on my Stang!
Old 12/19/06, 04:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably simple economics. Ford is on the ropes right now, and the Mustang is a money maker. They do listen to us, and maybe when the bottom line gets better we'll see something. When you're talking about those kind of vehicles, it's all about marketing image. The Corvette is an icon, and if GM killed it, it would be an image killer. Just to to add FWI; I just read an article in a major car mag (I think it was Road and Track) while waiting for my wife shopping. It was a road test between the Viper, Corvette, and Shelby. The vette was # 1 overall, but they said , and I quote, "the Shelby comes in second. Easy." If that makes you feel any better.
Old 12/19/06, 12:43 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote=blkstang06;801701] In reality the Corvette as far as production numbers go generates no real revenue for GM and truth be known is lucky to break even in building the Corvette! but thats not what the Corvette is about! ...its Flag ship reconition!...[quote]

here is the answer right there... ford gets a ton of recognition from its icon the mustang.. so Not only does Ford have the most recognizable nameplate in the industry they can have this and still have a icon that is profitable.
Old 12/19/06, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

[quote=Knight;801989][quote=blkstang06;801701] In reality the Corvette as far as production numbers go generates no real revenue for GM and truth be known is lucky to break even in building the Corvette! but thats not what the Corvette is about! ...its Flag ship reconition!...

here is the answer right there... ford gets a ton of recognition from its icon the mustang.. so Not only does Ford have the most recognizable nameplate in the industry they can have this and still have a icon that is profitable.
Chris, I agree with you....and what many forget or don't realize the Mustang was never built to compete head to head with the Corvette!... But in saying that! Ford walked away from the the recognition that comes with building a mass production true sports car! Thats why they resurrected the GT500 "Super Car" platform to show that when push comes to shove! Ford can still build a world class sports car! but at $150.000 plus doesn't put enough on the street to expose people to what Ford is truly capable of!
Old 12/20/06, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Very interesting indeed,
Still, I think Ford should be able to design a car that can compete in price and everything else with a vette, even if it didn't give them enough profit, they need to make something that can kick their BU77s.
I personally think the mustang GT is in the perfect spot, and i wasn't meant to fight a vette, but a camaro was created to fight the stang.
it would have to be a tottally new vehicle from ford that would battle the viper and vette.
grab the chassis of the new shelby cobra(the prototype)
grab a big V12 from jaguar or aston martin.(I think I saw a mustang with an aston motor)
grab a IRS from the thunderbird or a jag.
put a nice 6 sp. tranny.
grab the guys that designed the mustang and the gt(they are not very creative, but they do know what they doing when it comes to make people feel attracted to a car by emotions), get some 345 rear wheels and 285 front, put them on the floor and start drawing...
...give them a few million bucks to play around, and some data sheets from the data collected at the races, and data collected from the european races too.
if mitsubishi can do a lancer evo for 35k that can run with awd, 4.5 0/60, and subaru can do it too, I can't see why we can't have an awesome ford for twice as much that can hold against the other 2 american supercars...
I thinkk the shelby is an awesome car, but in another level, it will compete against the camaro ss and dodge challenger and the srt8 I guess...
Old 12/25/06, 10:04 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

GR-1 would be great competition to Corvette and Viper.

Old 12/25/06, 10:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sorry, as far as looks is concerned, the GR-1 wil not be a match for the vette. Hey I say the making of the GR-1 on TLC
Old 12/26/06, 03:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I say they proabably want mustng to stay the "Performance car" of Ford...I think by building a sports car that has no history, or legacy....it will look like ford is try to replace the mustang...even though they arent...I think in Ford Land.....Mustang needs to be the most important word....not that I wouldn't mind seeing a $50,000 two seater V8...I would!