Notices
Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

What will happen if Ford goes under?

Old 11/18/08, 11:07 PM
  #41  
Bullitt Member
 
Airwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 29, 2005
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may happen to Chrysler, possible GM but unlikely. But Ford is actually the safest of the 3. Hopefully the now lower gas prices will start to hit people and they will begin buying cars again, the housing market will turn around, and we can get on with our lives.
Airwolf is offline  
Old 11/18/08, 11:12 PM
  #42  
GTR Member
 
GrnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 6, 2008
Location: Apple Valley Mn.
Posts: 5,722
Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts
Here here. +1
GrnT is online now  
Old 11/18/08, 11:17 PM
  #43  
Fatboy Loves Fried!
TMS Staff
 
2k7gtcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 9, 2007
Posts: 27,987
Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Airwolf View Post
It may happen to Chrysler, possible GM but unlikely. But Ford is actually the safest of the 3. Hopefully the now lower gas prices will start to hit people and they will begin buying cars again, the housing market will turn around, and we can get on with our lives.
I really hope your right. I pray your right in fact. I don't want anyone to fail, really, but if Chrysler goes down, theres some market share to be spread around. All those people losing jobs suck. Even those that already have.
2k7gtcs is offline  
Old 11/18/08, 11:19 PM
  #44  
Bullitt Member
 
CooBra07's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 19, 2008
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt View Post
Why? Because dealers are franchises and not owned by the manufacturer. The automaker can't tell them what to do in terms of pricing, nor can they make them do anything to reign in the dealers who charge a huge ADM on cars. Heck, Nissan knew off the bat that its dealers were going to mark up the GT-R, but they stood by and accepted it, as a "free market" and let the public put a "true value" on the car. Not that it makes it right.

It goes back to to the age old question, "He who has money will spend it". Can't blame a dealer who has a specialty/limited run car and someone is willing to give them $XXXXX over MSRP to have the 1st one. Would you turn away extra money for your home, if it was valued at $200,000, but someone came and offered $250,000? Dealers sell most vehicles at invoice, or a few hundred over. The one vehicle that they may get 1 or 2 of, to sell over MSRP isn't a bad idea, just make sure the markup isn't STUPID!! The highest we ever sold a GT500 was $7,000 back in early 2008! After that, they came down, as the market came down, while other dealers had their cars consistantly marked up at $10.000-$20,000 over list!
In my opinion..and this is not directed towards your dealership, but dealers in the US in general.

Let's start with your example...Let's see,....... If I was going to sell my house I would have to get an appraisal to determine the value of my house (MSRP if you would). The bank says that my house is worth $225,000. I put my house on the market and wait to see how many people are interested. Say I get three people that are interested in my house and one offers me MSRP..The other one says he will give me $230,000 ($5,000 over MSRP) Third one says he will give me $500,000 for my house because he really, really, really likes the way the grass grows in the back yard and the view from the back door as the sun sets...lol

The diffrence here is that the "consumer" determined what he thought was the market value (ADM) of my house to him... not the bank! (dealer)

Why not let the consumer determine how much he or she, is willing to pay for a vehicle...cars would not sit on their lots for as long as they do.

They were not willing to come down on the price of the car...they think someone will pay that ADM and someone may actually pay that...but that potential buyer that was going to buy that FORD, CHEVY or CHRYSLER CAR/TRUCK/SUV which ever (pick one) is now going down the street to buy HONDA/TOYOTA

You see what I'M SAYING That's not helping the "3 Major Automakers" that are now Depending on help from our Federal Goverment because they did not sell what they were predicting they would sell. (cars still sitting in dealer lots)

Do dealers still get the new models even though they still have a lot of left over cars from the year before? Just curious...

I heard that car manufactures pick and choose which dealer they send most of their cars to...depending on how many cars the dealer sells...


________________

Last edited by CooBra07; 11/19/08 at 02:39 AM.
CooBra07 is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 06:26 AM
  #45  
Team Mustang Source
 
05fordgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 19, 2004
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Posts: 6,840
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT View Post
Yes, he most certainly does Jeff. Otherwise, he doesn't need to come back at all !
He's TOTALLY avoiding this thread and posting in other threads (especially the 2010 section). Someone needs to call him out!!
05fordgt is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 06:31 AM
  #46  
Team Mustang Source
 
05fordgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 19, 2004
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Posts: 6,840
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CooBra07 View Post
In my opinion..and this is not directed towards your dealership, but dealers in the US in general.

Let's start with your example...Let's see,....... If I was going to sell my house I would have to get an appraisal to determine the value of my house (MSRP if you would). The bank says that my house is worth $225,000. I put my house on the market and wait to see how many people are interested. Say I get three people that are interested in my house and one offers me MSRP..The other one says he will give me $230,000 ($5,000 over MSRP) Third one says he will give me $500,000 for my house because he really, really, really likes the way the grass grows in the back yard and the view from the back door as the sun sets...lol

The diffrence here is that the "consumer" determined what he thought was the market value (ADM) of my house to him... not the bank! (dealer)

Why not let the consumer determine how much he or she, is willing to pay for a vehicle...cars would not sit on their lots for as long as they do.

They were not willing to come down on the price of the car...they think someone will pay that ADM and someone may actually pay that...but that potential buyer that was going to buy that FORD, CHEVY or CHRYSLER CAR/TRUCK/SUV which ever (pick one) is now going down the street to buy HONDA/TOYOTA

You see what I'M SAYING That's not helping the "3 Major Automakers" that are now Depending on help from our Federal Goverment because they did not sell what they were predicting they would sell. (cars still sitting in dealer lots)

Do dealers still get the new models even though they still have a lot of left over cars from the year before? Just curious...

I heard that car manufactures pick and choose which dealer they send most of their cars to...depending on how many cars the dealer sells...


________________
Dealers get the new models no matter what. Its up to how many they want to buy. In terms of a "specialty car", sometimes its determined who gets it by a lottery, by sales of a particular model, or by other factors. Look at the Nissan GT-R. They are only importing 1,500 per year, but here are more than that in dealers. Some aren't getting it, as they don't meet the criteria. For the KR, that lottery drawing was a joke, as some dealers got 4 or 5 of them. We didn't get one and I'm glad, as that car, and its STUPID ADMs are driving me crazy. I tell anyone who asks about me getting them one, to buy a GT500, and send it to Tasca for the SS conversion. Better Value, and different!
05fordgt is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 03:41 PM
  #47  
Bullitt Member
 
CooBra07's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 19, 2008
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I am saying is that dealers do play a part on why our three major automakers are in trouble.

How many people here have gone window shopping and ended up buying something...I know I have.
Many years back...I wanted to buy a new car but was not sure what I wanted. So my wife and I went to our local auto mall. Stopped at the first dealer (Oldsmobile) that had a car that got both our attention. Did not buy there because they were not willing to work with me on the price of the car. We went to the next dealer that had a car that cought our attention (Pontiac) we drove off with a new car that night...because they were more than willing to work with me.

The point is that many people don't know what they want to buy until something catches their eye...and then get turned away becuase the dealer is not willing to negotiate, simply because they "think" they can get full asking price (ADM) from someone else...that's down right greedy...Not to mention that potential buyer has gone somewhere else and bought a car from the competitor.

In my opinion, I would say that 90 to 95 pecent don't know what they want to buy until they see something that catches their eye...
The rest know exactly what kind of car they want, there is nothing that is going to stop them from getting that car, not even ADM's.



_________________
CooBra07 is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 05:31 PM
  #48  
Closet American
 
Hollywood_North GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 17, 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC (Hollywood North)
Posts: 5,829
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt View Post
He's TOTALLY avoiding this thread and posting in other threads (especially the 2010 section). Someone needs to call him out!!
I'd let it go already. I'm sure his sudden absence from this thread is a pretty good indicator that he got the message and feels a bit ashamed.

He's 16 years old. No adult on this board should get bent out of shape because someone who hasn't even graduated from high school yet makes a mistake and says something stupid.
Hollywood_North GT is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 06:22 PM
  #49  
Fatboy Loves Fried!
TMS Staff
 
2k7gtcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 9, 2007
Posts: 27,987
Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT View Post
I'd let it go already. I'm sure his sudden absence from this thread is a pretty good indicator that he got the message and feels a bit ashamed.

He's 16 years old. No adult on this board should get bent out of shape because someone who hasn't even graduated from high school yet makes a mistake and says something stupid.
That's a good point. 16. There's alot of things I said at 16 just because I didn't know any better.
2k7gtcs is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 06:29 PM
  #50  
Closet American
 
Hollywood_North GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 17, 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC (Hollywood North)
Posts: 5,829
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs View Post
That's a good point. 16. There's alot of things I said at 16 just because I didn't know any better.
Precisely.
Hollywood_North GT is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 06:30 PM
  #51  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
Knight Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 13, 2006
Location: McAllen, Texas
Posts: 2,618
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT View Post
I'd let it go already. I'm sure his sudden absence from this thread is a pretty good indicator that he got the message and feels a bit ashamed.

He's 16 years old. No adult on this board should get bent out of shape because someone who hasn't even graduated from high school yet makes a mistake and says something stupid.
AHEM, Very true. I'll admit it.

I believe that Ford and the other 2 need to look at the complete problem instead of just focusing on one. And yes I am refering to dealers, unions, and design quality.
Knight Rider is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 08:22 PM
  #52  
Team Mustang Source
 
05fordgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 19, 2004
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Posts: 6,840
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airwolf View Post
It may happen to Chrysler, possible GM but unlikely. But Ford is actually the safest of the 3. Hopefully the now lower gas prices will start to hit people and they will begin buying cars again, the housing market will turn around, and we can get on with our lives.
That isn't happening in my region. I just talked to a fellow who was interested in a new 2009 GT/CS Vert. Told him I would call him on Wednesday to tell him what the new program is, and what it does to the price (employee pricing). Now, mind you, this fellow stopped in Saturday to see it in person with his wife (no drive, just a inspection in person). I called him and told him the price for a $39K GT/CS Vert would be $34K with the rebate! I thought, he'll love it. You know what he told me on the phone?.... I'm gonna wait for the price to get better!! Ford, GM, Chrysler are in trouble and will discount the cars even more! I was stunned!! I told him, the price won't get better than A-Plan pricing!! Doesn't matter. People are scared, and they see the government's unwillingness to help, and this gives them thought of no future security! ITS BAD, and it won't get better anytime soon!!!
05fordgt is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 08:30 PM
  #53  
Closet American
 
Hollywood_North GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 17, 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC (Hollywood North)
Posts: 5,829
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian government has already agreed to help auto sector, so Washington may yet be swayed.
Hollywood_North GT is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 08:34 PM
  #54  
Super Boss Lawman Member
 
BA Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 29, 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 4,107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt View Post
Your don't mean the Bill Heard dealerships do you? From what I read, they ripped people off BIG TIME over the past many years, and also lost their GMAC Floorplan to pay for the cars they have. Also they are being sued, as they owe $220 Million (or something like that) to creditors and such.

Oh, and your comment about not caring really lit a fire in this thread. Not a good post my friend! You don't care if people lose their jobs? SELFISH!!!
Yes it is Bill Heard. I never said I didn't care if people lost their jobs. What is meant is that I never buy parts from Ford so if they were to go under it wouldn't affect that part. Now on the job side it would really hurt everyone and I do know that.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 11/19/08 at 08:36 PM.
BA Mustang is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 08:40 PM
  #55  
I lust for a M24
 
05GT-O.C.D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: November 6, 2004
Location: Football HOF, Canton OH
Posts: 7,039
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would hurt you too, as well as your parents, friends, and neighbors. There's a whole hella lot more to life than car parts.
05GT-O.C.D. is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 08:40 PM
  #56  
Super Boss Lawman Member
 
BA Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 29, 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 4,107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt View Post
I see BA Mustang hasn't been back in this thread since his insensitive and downright stupid post! He NEEDS to apologize!!!
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT View Post
Yes, he most certainly does Jeff. Otherwise, he doesn't need to come back at all !
I usually don't check in this section that is why I haven't been on here since. I really didn't mean to get everyone fired up about the post I made. I will admit it was a stupid post and that I shouldn't have posted it.
BA Mustang is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 08:41 PM
  #57  
I lust for a M24
 
05GT-O.C.D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: November 6, 2004
Location: Football HOF, Canton OH
Posts: 7,039
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fair enough.
05GT-O.C.D. is offline  
Old 11/19/08, 08:44 PM
  #58  
Super Boss Lawman Member
 
BA Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 29, 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 4,107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We do have a Toyota engine plant about 10 minutes from my house. If that was to go down it would really affect us also.
BA Mustang is offline  
Old 11/20/08, 04:22 PM
  #59  
GT Member
 
AircraftTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 18, 2004
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Posts: 148
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens if FORD goes under??

So if Ford goes under, do you think an other company will buy them out? Also does that mean that all of the newer cars out there will not have a warranty anymore??? I have two 2008 ford vehicles with 7 year warranties!!!

Last edited by AircraftTech; 11/20/08 at 04:24 PM.
AircraftTech is offline  
Old 11/20/08, 04:33 PM
  #60  
Super Moderator
 
05stangkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: November 27, 2004
Posts: 6,247
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Let's Not Consider That an Option. Ford will Find a way to Survive with or without this Pending Bailout.


KC
05stangkc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What will happen if Ford goes under?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.