Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Topnotch Saves Mercury!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/08, 06:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could this just save Mercury in the short term?

FORD GOES GLOBAL FOR MERCURY!

MERCURY CAPRI based on the Mazda MX5
MERCURY COMET based on the Ford Focus Coupe-Cabriolet
MERCURY MACRO based on the Ford S-Max
MERCURY MARAUDER based on the FPV Falcon GT
MERCURY MARQUIS based on the Ford Falcon G-Series
MERCURY META based on the Ford Kuga
MERCURY MICRO based on the Ford Ka
MERCURY MONDEO based on the Ford Mondeo
Attached Thumbnails Topnotch Saves Mercury!!!!-mercury-comet.jpg   Topnotch Saves Mercury!!!!-mercury-marauder.jpg   Topnotch Saves Mercury!!!!-mercury-marquis.jpg   Topnotch Saves Mercury!!!!-mercury-mondeo.jpg  
Attached Images     
Old 2/20/08, 07:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes it could.
No, they won't do it soon enough.
Old 2/20/08, 07:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've long thought that the Mondeo and S-Max would make easy Mercury offerings with the simple addition of a waterfall grille...and now we see that this is indeed the case. The only changes I would make......

I think the old Mercury Cosmopolitan nameplate would be perfect for a Merc-i-fied Focus RHT. Suits the car and the primarily female clientele the model is likely to attract.

I would likely go with a Fiesta based product instead of the smaller Ka, and for such a small, sport hatchback I think the Comet name would be perfect.

A fantastic job in any case.
Old 2/20/08, 09:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I gotta ask, whats Mercury's mission? I can only think, tarted up Fords for people who liked what they made in the late 70's.

I like the idea of Mercury using Ford's global assets to bring neat cars to the US market. Ford NA could stick to producing local hardware while Mercury becomes the european flavor brand, it would take alot of hard work to turn the ship around, but the results might be worth it.
Old 2/20/08, 09:45 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm against this idea simply because it failed many times in the past, for Ford, GM and Chrysler. Latest example is Opel/Saturn.
Old 2/21/08, 04:22 AM
Closet American

As much as I like this idea, Ford needs to shore up its core requisite brand identity. Mercury - even Euro flavored ones - would simply confuse buyers too much, create too much duplication and cannibalization within a corporation already struggling for sales...beyond which I think the brand is past its prime...for the time being. Certainly in Europe (which is about 750,000,000 people) Ford doesn't need any spin-off brands. It does very well just as Ford, thank you very much.

Bring over some of the Euro Fords AS Fords and strengthen the Blue Oval's North American image. Give us the following cars (with variations and trim levels within each model) >>

- Next Taurus (possibly with some 427/Interceptor influences, or, alternatively, Iosis influence)
- Mondeo
- New Focus
- New Fiesta
- Mustang

With the exception of Mustang and possibly Taurus, give us Ford of Europe's kinetic design language for the cars.

For the truck/SUV/CUV lineup, stay with, and refine, the new three bar grille look.
Old 2/21/08, 08:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm with Redstar and Hollywood. IF they were to bring in these cars, THEY NEED TO BE FORDS!!!! You all have to realize. How many Mercury dealers are there in the country. Less than 1500? This won't work. And these cars are known to the world buyers as Fords, not Mercurys. Now, I may be on the side because I sell Fords, but there aren't enough good reasons to give all the cars that would sell WELL to Mercury, a dying brand. If you have all these nice vehicles, that people want, then you are going to sell them at every Ford dealer there is. If for some reason, they want to sell upscale versions of them at Mercury dealers, then fine. BUT GIVE THE CORE VEHICLES TO FORD!! I'll take the new FPV-GT in blue in a 6-speed.
Old 7/22/08, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

An FPV Falcon GT marauding as a Mercury is fine with me as long as it gets here! (And if I can afford it that is)
Old 7/22/08, 08:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Treadhead
An FPV Falcon GT marauding as a Mercury is fine with me as long as it gets here! (And if I can afford it that is)
And what about Ford? Wouldn't you think that the Blue Oval should get this car before the Waterfall, since it is A FORD down under, and Falcon already has history AS A FORD?
Old 7/25/08, 12:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
And what about Ford? Wouldn't you think that the Blue Oval should get this car before the Waterfall, since it is A FORD down under, and Falcon already has history AS A FORD?
I would love nothing better than for the Falcon to come here as a Ford but, I won't cry if shows up as a Mercury either as long as it gets here.
Old 7/25/08, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
- Next Taurus (possibly with some 427/Interceptor influences, or, alternatively, Iosis influence)
If Mulally throws his weight behind keeping the Taurus name for a grwd-based replacement for the fwd model, which is still the plan amazingly enough, I will take back anything good I have ever said about the man and declare him, officially, an idiot. In fact, issues like this are what still give me pause about the man. Difficult as it may be to believe he was truly blissfully unaware of just how much of a boat anchor resuming the Taurus name would be for a car, even a bland front driver. Granted Five Hundred as a stand alone badge wasn't an eventuality crafted in a fit of genius......but Taurus was and is arguably no better.

Burgeoning retro backlash be d*****, Ford has so many great and appropriate names from the past crowding the bench that the notion of retaining the Taurus moniker engenders a heartfelt response of.......WTF? Try Galaxie (there has never been a cooler name for a full size car....ever), or Fairlane, or even Falcon on for size guys, any of 'em beat the holy Hell out of Taurus.
Old 7/25/08, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jsaylor
If Mulally throws his weight behind keeping the Taurus name for a grwd-based replacement for the fwd model, which is still the plan amazingly enough, I will take back anything good I have ever said about the man and declare him, officially, an idiot. In fact, issues like this are what still give me pause about the man. Difficult as it may be to believe he was truly blissfully unaware of just how much of a boat anchor resuming the Taurus name would be for a car, even a bland front driver. Granted Five Hundred as a stand alone badge wasn't an eventuality crafted in a fit of genius......but Taurus was and is arguably no better.

Burgeoning retro backlash be d*****, Ford has so many great and appropriate names from the past crowding the bench that the notion of retaining the Taurus moniker engenders a heartfelt response of.......WTF? Try Galaxie (there has never been a cooler name for a full size car....ever), or Fairlane, or even Falcon on for size guys, any of 'em beat the holy Hell out of Taurus.
Heh, the guy sold planes known by their numbers for years, I'm not all that surprised names are his Achilles heel. Interceptor should be the name bar none, IMO, but I guess we just have to wait and see.
Old 7/28/08, 03:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Heh, the guy sold planes known by their numbers for years, I'm not all that surprised names are his Achilles heel. Interceptor should be the name bar none, IMO, but I guess we just have to wait and see.
Well, we'll be seeing how well he(Mually) did at Boeing soon, as they should start delivering those planes soon, if the airlines don't call off the deals.
Old 7/28/08, 05:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Treadhead
Meeee Tooo!!!
Old 7/28/08, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Well, we'll be seeing how well he(Mually) did at Boeing soon, as they should start delivering those planes soon, if the airlines don't call off the deals.
He helped conceive the 787, and set its specs. But if you want to see products covered in his fingerprints look at the 777 line.
Old 7/28/08, 08:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yea, I know his resume well!!