Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Sorry this is not really 2010 related but........

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/08, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry this is not really 2010 related but........

is there any chance of seeing a "regular cobra" anytime soon or in the future? no not a shelby, just a plain svt cobra to add to fords lineup? any chance this could be in fords next chapter of plans?
Old 12/1/08, 06:41 PM
Cobra Member

Nope! Why would they compete a "regular" Cobra with the Shelby GT500? Shelby is making plenty of variants, not to mention Saleen, Roush and others.
Old 12/1/08, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Never happen.
Old 12/1/08, 06:47 PM

Well, SVT was dead...until the new Raptor...but as long as Shelby has signed on, the Shelby GT500 took the Cobra's place, although it would be a nice thing for Ford to do, and have the Shelby be the next step up, but that is what the Shelby GT is for...
Old 12/1/08, 06:48 PM

Now, an SVT Fusion or a new SVT Focus *cough* RS *cough* would be nice. But Ford has been outsourcing to Shelby and FMF a lot!
Old 12/1/08, 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

well i guess its nice to dream about it atleast
Old 12/1/08, 11:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2003REDGT
Now, an SVT Fusion or a new SVT Focus *cough* RS *cough* would be nice. But Ford has been outsourcing to Shelby and FMF a lot!
SVT never went anywhere, they just focused on fewer products. They did the Ford GT. The GT-500 was designed, developed, and Built by SVT (Shelby just lent his name to it).

I can't imagine they have any reason to do an SVT Cobra. SVT already has a Mustang (the -500) and their limited resources would be wasted (from an overall perspective) doing multiple Mustang models. If you want something between the -500 and the GT, and don't like the Shelby GT, hope for a non-SVT performance edition suchs as a new Mach 1 or BOSS.
Old 12/2/08, 12:11 AM
Bullitt Member

the gt500 is an svt vehicle, it is the cobra.
Old 12/2/08, 03:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sgt d
the gt500 is an svt vehicle, it is the cobra.

i know gt500 is an svt vehicle. i know that much

i was only asking if we would see some sort of cobra without the shelby name.
but you guys gave me your answers and i thank ya.
Old 12/2/08, 05:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moosetang
SVT never went anywhere, they just focused on fewer products. They did the Ford GT. The GT-500 was designed, developed, and Built by SVT (Shelby just lent his name to it).

I can't imagine they have any reason to do an SVT Cobra. SVT already has a Mustang (the -500) and their limited resources would be wasted (from an overall perspective) doing multiple Mustang models. If you want something between the -500 and the GT, and don't like the Shelby GT, hope for a non-SVT performance edition suchs as a new Mach 1 or BOSS.
Actually, SVT is gone in just about every sense. If any part of it lives on, it seems to be mostly in name only. Read this for details:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109512

Last edited by Even Steven; 12/2/08 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12/2/08, 06:16 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Even Steven
Actually, SVT is gone in just about every sense. If any part of it lives on, it seems to be mostly in name only. Read this for details:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109512
That article is from 2006. Not the most current or relevant article to post. Why post it?

There are two current SVT products.
Old 12/2/08, 08:05 AM

A rose by any other name ... not sure if the world "SVT" has any substance left in but as a marketing moniker, but perhaps the 5.0 might be released under either the Shelby (350?) name or Boss (302? 5.0?) name, or even Cobra, as a model between the standard GT and the GT500.
Old 12/2/08, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
That article is from 2006. Not the most current or relevant article to post. Why post it?

There are two current SVT products.
I didn't know that written articles had an expiration date. So sorry for posting it.

BTW, my point was that SVT, if it even exists today, isn't the SVT we all know from years ago. It's nothing more than a name now, without the team of people behind that like when it was cranking out the various SVT vehicles.
Old 12/2/08, 10:36 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I didn't know that written articles had an expiration date. So sorry for posting it.

BTW, my point was that SVT, if it even exists today, isn't the SVT we all know from years ago. It's nothing more than a name now, without the team of people behind that like when it was cranking out the various SVT vehicles.
The article is factually wrong on SVT's survival. Yes, the management has been overhauled, but so has the management throughout Ford. And yes, SVT products are for sale at all Ford dealers now. But there was no interruption in SVT's existence. After GT-500 came GT-500KR. RAPTOR came next and it is not just a badge job, it's a complete product created by the SVT team separate from the regular F-150 line. Their "source" sounds like someone who was canned/transferred from SVT and was bitter about it, can't blame them but that doesn't make them right.
Old 12/2/08, 11:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang

+100000
Old 12/2/08, 11:48 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

No need to be sorry. Nothing to apologize for in my opinion. I would hope the people behind SVT 10 years ago would not still be there. Although I do wish Mr. Colletti were still around, but I am not privy to the structure of SVT in its current state.

As far as SVT existing as nothing more than a name, I wonder how the development of the GT, GT500 & Raptor progressed . . . .
Old 12/2/08, 02:48 PM
Banned

Oh, don't worry. I wasn't really sorry. That was sarcasm, in case you didn't recognize it.
Old 12/2/08, 02:49 PM
Banned

As far as SVT existing as nothing more than a name, I wonder how the development of the GT, GT500 & Raptor progressed . . . .
From what I've read, it certainly wasn't from SVT. Maybe someone can post a definitive article because the one I posted is so "out of date"

Until then, I'll have to stick by the information that I've read so far...
Old 12/2/08, 08:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wish Ford had kept the SVT Cobra. The Shelby name adds cost to the vehicle. Colletti would have built a better S197 special edition. I would have loved to have seen what he could do with the new chassis. His team did amazing things with a wet noodle archaic chassis.
Old 12/2/08, 08:24 PM
Banned

Even . . .

Why such angst? I have no issue with how you view SVT or in a larger matter the 2010 Mustang. I was simply pointing out another perspective in a decent manner and yet you continue to post in such a negative fashion.

Are you wanting 'push back' so you can continue to post in the manner for which you have been for the past couple of days? If that is the case please advise and the situation can remedy itself rather quickly . . . .

Well cool . . . please share. I am always opening to reading about the inner workings of SVT . . . or lack thereof.
You're the one who asked me why I would post a link to such an old article.... Funny thing is that I don't see anyone else posting any references, but rather stating opinions on the matter. That's why I asked for someone to post a more relevant article. Maybe the information that I've read over the years is wrong, but I don't think SVT is anything more than a name these days.

Quick Reply: Sorry this is not really 2010 related but........