Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

So can Taurus and Explorer really replace Crown Vic as cop car?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/10, 08:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So can Taurus and Explorer really replace Crown Vic as cop car?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html

Old 9/2/10, 08:55 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope, I fear that now that the famed PI CV is gone and we will now see all Chargers. I just don't see the officers giving up the RWD.
Old 9/2/10, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see metro departments going to the Taurus. A lot of them have gone to the Impala because of the smaller size and V6 engine, but it's a poor excuse for a cop car. Those departments would probably consider the Taurus.

Some departments are going to the Tahoe, which I think is a waste of money and gasoline. As a command vehicle or SWAT vehicle, yes, but as a vehicle for patrol, I don't see it. The officers I know love the power of the Hemi Charger, but complain about poor visibility and lack of trunk space. Chevy is coming out with a purpose-built patrol car based on one of GM's Holden platforms. It will be interesting to see how that is received. Although, since it's a Holden and must be imported, that could put Chevy at a price disadvantage.

I'm sure Ford will price the Taurus competitively enough to get them out in service. I wouldn't think they would let their dominance of the police market slip away from them without a fight.
Old 9/3/10, 12:06 AM
FR500 Member

^^^ IIRC, that GM/Holden car is essentially what was known in the US as the Pontiac G8 and will be called a Caprice. In any case, it is kind of sad seeing how Ford has 2 vehicles designed to fill the role in the place of 1 that did just fine. I understand cab companies (esp. in NY and other large cities) are in a similar bind with the departure of the CV and similar Panther platform cars. To spare us the Charger eyesores, Dodge should make a Challenger police package.

Last edited by hi5.0; 9/3/10 at 12:07 AM.
Old 9/3/10, 12:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think they'll do fine. Bear in mind that RWD is oversold as a feature, most departments liked the CVPI because it was dirt cheap (relatively) and simple to repair/maintain. None of the competitors (except Tahoe) are body-on-frame or have been produced unchanged for decades, so the ease of repair thing is going out the window no matter what vehicle steps up. Officers love hotrods, but departments are more likely to go with the best package deal. Taurus and Explorer aren't just being thrown on the market (like most of the competition), they're being specifically adapted to the role with PD input.
Old 9/3/10, 12:46 AM
Cobra Member

I believe that Chevy with a RWD & V-8 will become the primary cop car. It will not have as big a market as the Crown Vic, bit will out sell the others.
Old 9/3/10, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Gms upcoming car is the pontiac G8. But since pontiac is gone................. Holden Import.

I had read an article where a dept. had bought a bunch of G8 right before they stopped production, so GM rebadged the holden with just a simple GM grill emblem.
Old 9/3/10, 11:41 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by Red Star

Either of those in my mirror would just make me laugh....
Old 9/3/10, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No, the market will go to the Charger and the Caprice.
Old 9/3/10, 07:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
Either of those in my mirror would just make me laugh....
Hope you would remain in that good a mood when the officer handed you the ticket.
Old 9/4/10, 07:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Until proven otherwise I am gonna say no!.
Old 9/6/10, 06:15 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Hope you would remain in that good a mood when the officer handed you the ticket.
Any ticket I get I deserve, I'm paying for all the times I didn't get caught
Old 9/6/10, 06:38 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I was skeptical at first, but after talking to some cops on here they don't seem to think these cars not being RWD will be a problem. So straight from the horses mouth I'll say they will do just fine
Old 9/6/10, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

The Caprice is based on the Holden Statesman not the G8. It is based on the same Zeta platform, but is longer, so it has more rear room and a huge trunk.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/12/c...ce-police-car/

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...olice-car.aspx
Old 9/8/10, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

i think they are both badass
Old 9/14/10, 07:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
highway patrol maintenace costs are going to go thru the roof...reinforced or not, bang up that unibody taurus flying across a median or pitting a car, its gonna need more than a prepainted fender or wheel alignment.

they'll do, but they wont keep marketshare- the biggest reason the panther did was because it proliferated the market when gm stepped out...had the panthers demise not been foretold, gm/others wouldnt have went after that niche- ford had it locked up with a work truck durable/inexpensive unit...too bad for decided to kill st thomas assembly plant or wherever it was built- my guess is a beancounter decided the grand marquis was stealing a few more profitable taurus sales.

the saddest thing about the panthers leaving-
what other rwd car will ford produce? I only count one, the Mustang...how long till the car rear axle plant gets old looking? how long till irs/fwd/awd is the 'natural evolution' of the mu$tang?
the 'dinosaur' rear axle is doing a darn fine job, and it takes a ton of abuse...I'll miss it, but I see its day in the sun must be nearing its end too.
Old 9/15/10, 04:54 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
the saddest thing about the panthers leaving-
what other rwd car will ford produce? I only count one, the Mustang...
The also build the Falcon in Australia, which is also RWD in case you were not aware.
Old 9/20/10, 03:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/20/r...interceptor-a/

Michigan law enforcement officials have gathered to run a rodeo with the Ford Police Interceptor, Dodge Charger Pursuit and Chevrolet Caprice police car. The last horse standing will be trying to slide into the spot left by the Ford Crown Victoria, which sold about 50,000 units per year before going out of production. Ford doesn't have the inside line on replacing its standard bearer, though, because the Taurus-based Police Interceptor is front-wheel drive, and that makes some officers skeptical.

An officer's remark that "It is a whole different driving system" symbolizes the wariness, with concerns not only about cost and complexity, but just being able to drive the thing in the way officers are accustomed. The competition is rear-wheel drive, and in the case of the Caprice – which ran the police fleet show until it went out of production – there's more interior room. All the cars have their give-and-take, although the Ford is the only offering with all-wheel drive. Final results from the weekend's testing will be announced in December.
Old 9/20/10, 03:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind there are thousands of small and medium jurisdictions that increased mileage would be a positive factor for the Taurus with the tight budget situation.

And for snow areas, rather than HAVING to buy 4X Explorers and such, a fleet of AWD Taurus would have better mileage AND 4 wheel drive - all in one vehicle. I see a lot of small towns and counties liking that over the full size former vehicles - and RWD that are worthless in the snow.

As for not liking FWD, what's the problem? I bet most cops have at least one FWD at home...

I think Ford has recognized a huge market to fill.

PS: I remember that SHO being slightly ahead of the 5.0 in stinger's vid so they'll run strong for freeway use too.
Old 9/21/10, 12:58 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

As for not liking FWD, what's the problem? I bet most cops have at least one FWD at home...
The main problem I have heard about the FWD police cars is lack of durability and cost to maintain. The local city police bought a fleet of Impalas a few years ago when a large number of their Vics were ready to be retired. An acquaintance of mine runs the county garage that services and repairs the cars. He said that the Impalas were going through CV joints/transaxles like a fat kid through cake. They are fine for consumer use, but just aren't robust enough to handle the severe duty cop cars are subjected to. They started getting rid of them much sooner than they ever did the Vics and only have a few left. They replaced them with the Vics while they still could.

Quick Reply: So can Taurus and Explorer really replace Crown Vic as cop car?