Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Should Mecury make a New Mecury Cougar/Capri?

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/05, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have no problem with a new Cougar, (I like anything retro) but get another bodystyle.
I don't even care if they make a new Capri. JUST LEAVE THE MUSTANG OUT OF IT!
Old 4/1/05, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it would be cool. Wood panel and white leather interior, flip-up light covers, Merc grill and all.

Seriously though, if they did it right and used the Mustang as a performance platform - that proving to be very potent - you could built something that could kick butt in the luxury market. Think Cadillac CTS-V, but coupe. I think there is a market for guys with money that want the nav system and wood interior, but also want to make some noise.

Just don't make it look like a re-badged Mustang. It has to have it's own character.
Old 4/1/05, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I would hate to see a a car driving down the street and think 'yeah alright a Mustang' and then have it turn out to be a Mercury. I'd be cool with a Cougar, however, if it looked absolutely nothing like the Mustang (like if you were to compare the 2000 Mustang to the 2000 Cougar). I suppose you could use the same platform and maybe even engine but just leave the classic Mustang styling with Ford.
Old 4/1/05, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

If LM were to bring back a Cougar I'd rather see them do a different vehicle than a Mustang close derivative. Since there's no more T-Bird or LM Mark perhaps the Cougar could fill that bill - a luxurious 4 seat coupe with V-8 power. Trouble is this sector just has not sold well anymore.
Old 4/1/05, 11:37 AM
FR500 Member

I voted that the Mustang is sufficient. But, if Mercury wants to come out with a Cougar with a different body style, that would be cool. Just don't make a Capri and make it look just like the Mustang, please...
Old 4/1/05, 01:23 PM
V6 Member

[attachmentid=16533]
The Cougar guys would puke if it was just a rebadged Mustang. No offense to the Mustang, but that isn't what a Cougar is supposed to be. The REAL DEAL Cougar is a european car with an American V8, and low end torque.

Think Iron Fist in finest leather driving glove. The 428CJ turns 13.72 on skinny little 215/70 14s. You cannot imagine how humiliated rice boys are when they get beat by a 38 year old stock car.
Old 4/1/05, 01:51 PM
GT Member

The new Cougar can share the same driveline as the Mustang with maybe a softer suspension and more refined engine, but it needs its own bodystyling.
Old 4/1/05, 02:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Id like to see both..i voted for the capri (it needed the vote)
Old 4/1/05, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though my first v-8 was an '82 Capri RS, I'd rather not see this done to this car. If they decide to do something like this, I'd like to see them wait until demand for the Mustang slows a little. Let's get Mustangs into the hands of those that really want them, then we'll try to market to others. A Capri rolling down the line (undoubtedly the same line as the Mustang) will just slow down the real Mustang people from getting their cars.
Old 4/2/05, 08:30 AM
V6 Member

Most of you guys are not old enough to remeber what the Classic cougars looked like. There was no way anyone would ever get confused about which was which. In 67 and 68, not even one body panel was the same. The dash was completely different. Even the wheel base was streched by 3 inches to give the Cougar a bit more leg room. The ONLY way that a Cougar would make sense would be to have a new body. It should end up more like a coupe version of the Lincoln LS, but with more *****. Back in the day, Mercury meant a little more luxury and a bit more power: Hot Rod Mercury was not stupid.

I am not suggesting that the Cougar would be a better or faster car than the Mustang. The Cougar would compete more directly with the BMW 3 series than anythiing else, but with a standard V8. So the Cougar would have more high end options like in dash nav and XM, alot of wood and leather in the interior, and a price tag about 5 to 10K higher than the Mustang.
Old 4/2/05, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

No way! Let the Mustang stand alone now, I hope all those experiments are over. Too many "look alike" cars in all the American firms, I believe they should be original. Anyway, Lincoln already has a version of the Mustang, the LS.
Old 4/2/05, 08:43 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I have mentioned this quite a few times, Mercury NEEDS a Cougar. The brand does not have a halo car to bring people into the dealership. A car like the cougar would generate a positive buzz about Mercury instead of having it on death watch.

The first thing they should do is get rid of the Mercury corporate logo and bring back the "God of Speed" logo.

In my opinion, the Cougar should be an upmarket version of the S197 chassis, it won't be a high-volume car but will fill a gap in Ford's lineup. I would invision an IRS suspension being standard with a "higher quality" interior. Options like a NAV system, heated seats, etc are a must.

I think it would be wrong to share any major Mustang exterior sheetmetal. The car would have to have a more formal roofline for rear-seat passenger headroom. A higher tech V6 would be the minimal engine in my book, as well as a V8 for an XR7 or eliminator model.

Ford could also use a car like this as a spinoff for the next Australian Falcon and hopefully a similar car in North America for either Mercury or Ford.
Old 4/2/05, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes they do need a small, sporty car, I agree.
Old 4/2/05, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Have you guys seen the Ford Falcon over in Australia? That is a great looking car, especially the XR6 and XR8 models. I can't believe that it isn't a US model of some kind already. Anyway, it might be a good idea to base a Mercury, especially a Cougar in my opinion, off of that like Steve said. Check it out at http://www.ford.com.au/showroom/passenger/...er_Vehicles.asp
Old 4/2/05, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@March 31, 2005, 9:27 PM
(created by Doug)

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4/3/05, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Drivetime+April 1, 2005, 12:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drivetime @ April 1, 2005, 12:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>If LM were to bring back a Cougar I'd rather see them do a different vehicle than a Mustang close derivative. Since there's no more T-Bird or LM Mark perhaps the Cougar could fill that bill - a luxurious 4 seat coupe with V-8 power. Trouble is this sector just has not sold well anymore.
[/b]

I disagree. The performance luxury market does sell well... ask BMW, Infiniti and even Cadillac now. LM doesn't sell well. The problem has been that LM and GM (until Cadillac figured itself out) thought luxury meant squishy. I think a perf/lux car built on the Mustang platform and the right styling (not a re-badge of the Mustang) could sell very well.

<!--QuoteBegin-xr7g428
@April 2, 2005, 9:33 AM
Most of you guys are not old enough to remeber what the Classic cougars looked like. There was no way anyone would ever get confused about which was which. In 67 and 68, not even one body panel was the same. The dash was completely different. Even the wheel base was streched by 3 inches to give the Cougar a bit more leg room. The ONLY way that a Cougar would make sense would be to have a new body. It should end up more like a coupe version of the Lincoln LS, but with more *****. Back in the day, Mercury meant a little more luxury and a bit more power: Hot Rod Mercury was not stupid.

I am not suggesting that the Cougar would be a better or faster car than the Mustang. The Cougar would compete more directly with the BMW 3 series than anythiing else, but with a standard V8. So the Cougar would have more high end options like in dash nav and XM, alot of wood and leather in the interior, and a price tag about 5 to 10K higher than the Mustang.
[/quote]

Totally agree.
Old 4/4/05, 08:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree with Galaxie, Mercury needs a Cougar badly largely for the much needed image boost a car like this would bring to the "sign of the cat".

For all of those who complain about a Mustang twin, the Cougar was never a Mustang twin...not really. IMO you guys are thinking more along the lines of 80's Capri than original Cougar. A properly executed Cougar should be about the size and proportions of the new BMW 6-series with some calssic styling cues on an otherwise modern and luxurious 2+2.

As for cars in this class not selling well, does anybody think this might have something to do with the offerings in the class? The MN12 T-Bird's were full of promise but Ford never marketed them especially well and positioned the largest part of the line even worse. The only truly sporty version was the SC and even it needed more motor to reach it's true potential. A V-8 was a good idea but they tuned the suspension like it was meant for my dad.

The GTO died on styling and a very bad first impression due partially to too little power for the money in the first year of the revived Goat. They also needed a lower priced, lower hp version (The 350hp the standard car had in 04 would have been about right, but should have cost less than 34k) to round out the model line and increase overall sales if they wanted this to be a high wolume car. IMO the "luxury muscle-car" is a great idea that would sell well if properly executed, and a revived Cougar could be that car.
Old 1/24/06, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

mercury really needs a new cougar and soon before the mercury name dies altogether
Old 1/24/06, 05:51 PM
FR500 Member

A Mercury Cougar could help revive the brand's image - since the other domestics are going "retro", why should Mercury be any different with its "halo car"? Stretch the wheelbase a tad without increasing overall length and weight drastically, add an IRS, a more Euro suspension tuning, and a standard 4.6 V-8 with an available 5.4 V-8 for an XR-7 or something. Most importantly, do not make it look like a Mustang.
I did like bringing back the "God of Speed" logo idea a few posts back. If they don't do a Cougar, how about resurrecting the Ford Fortynine as a Mercury? That would be a car I would love to have just on looks alone.
Old 1/24/06, 06:12 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I am an ashamed ex-owner of a 1980 2.3 Capri Turbo that I hated with a passion... now that I think of it, I still do.

Quick Reply: Should Mecury make a New Mecury Cougar/Capri?