Shelby considering new halo sports car, Focus and Fusion models for the future

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/12, 05:15 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelby considering new halo sports car, Focus and Fusion models for the future

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/s...fusion-models/

With the debut of its audacious 1000 horsepower GT500 at the New York Auto Show earlier this month, you might be wondering what direction Shelby will be headed in the future. After all, they can't just keep adding more horsepower to the Mustang. Can they?

Shelby president John Luft tells us that while they will continue producing post-title Mustang packages (they have a product plan for the pony car through 2020), the company is also considering branching out to other vehicles in the Ford lineup.

"Our plans include everything from the Mustang to looking at future development of the EcoBoost motor," he told us. "There could be a Focus or Fusion development in our future."

The plans don't stop there, though. Luft revealed to us that Shelby is considering producing another halo sports car like they did in the late 1990s with the Series 1.
"We always pose the 'what if'. If you remember when the Series 1 was developed, that was a purpose-built halo sports car for the Shelby brand. We always put those things in the plan because maybe down the road we would want to readdress a purpose-built Shelby sports car. It doesn't mean we'll build it, but we always want to challenge ourselves to put it on the table and talk about the practicality of it."
Keep reading for more insights into Shelby's plans for the future.
Luft admits the conditions would have to be right for a new Shelby sports car to happen, but doesn't count out the possibility.
"All the variables have to come into play – what's the economy like and what the industry is doing – but I've learned to never-say-never. It could very well be that we could collaborate with Ford and create a new one-off Shelby halo vehicle. Who knows? But we always add things like that into our product plans because it causes us to pause and look at things beyond the Mustang in the Ford lineup."
Luft also says that if Ford produces another supercar like the GT, Shelby won't miss the opportunity to produce their own version.
"If I could wind the clock back we would have had a Shelby package for the Ford GT. It would have been natural. I've heard rumors – and you've probably heard them too – of Ford bringing back the GT. Trust me, we will not be asleep at the wheel this time. So if Ford actually comes to market with a new GT, then we'll be right there with them. We will not miss that window again."
Old 4/19/12, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone remember shelby glh???
Attached Thumbnails Shelby considering new halo sports car, Focus and Fusion models for the future-dodge-charger-shelby-glhs.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 4/19/12, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vyto2
Anyone remember shelby glh???
I was thinking the along the same lines. Considering the blah of the era, those were pretty swoopy. I remember I actually kept a buddy from leaving in his Mercury Lynx (or something similar) by holding on to his bumper and a post - he was quite perturbed and swore at me "...get your *** hands off my bumper so I can leave!!!"

Still, this may actually be a good if not great marketing idea, if the prices can be kept reasonable.
Old 4/19/12, 04:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Those were pretty fast cars back then.
Old 4/19/12, 04:56 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Synyster_Vengeance
Those were pretty fast cars back then.
Yep, with some work and tweaking they would scream.
Old 4/19/12, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Am I the only one that thinks Shelby needs to take a step back and let SVT handle making Ford's hot models across the line? Why not an SVT focus/fusion? It's my understanding that SVT was the main force behind the 07-current GT500 anyway, and Shelby just sticks their badges on it.

It just doesn't seem honest to me.

Last edited by Kevin509; 4/19/12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 4/19/12, 09:12 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin509
Am I the only one that thinks Shelby needs to take a step back and let SVT handle making Ford's hot models across the line? Why not an SVT focus/fusion? It's my understanding that SVT was the main force behind the 07-current GT500 anyway, and Shelby just sticks their badges on it.

They are talking about doing post title cars, just like the Super Snake, GT350, etc. Or Roush, Steeda, SMS, Lingenfelter Vettes, Hennessey, etc. for that matter.
Old 4/19/12, 09:40 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Kevin509

Shelby names sells much better than SVT.

But I do agree with you, I would rather see SVT Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and so on instead of Shelby. Shelby is just overpriced.
Old 4/19/12, 09:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Yep, with some work and tweaking they would scream.
Old 4/20/12, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those things were pieces of crap. I felt so then and feel so now. Had you thrown the turbo on any other vehicle from that time, these toasters would've been toasted.
Old 4/20/12, 10:53 AM
GT Member

If they have a Shelby Fusion out once the Boss is paid for, I know what the Fiance's next car will be lol.