Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Reflex and Bronco

Old 11/30/07, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reflex and Bronco

Over on Focaljet Igor is reporting that Reflex and Bronco are both a go with the new Fiesta platform apparently being the production basis for both 'cars'. A B segment 'urban' Bronco? What a way to flush one of the more storied names in Ford history down the crapper guys. Ford could develop a decent truck chassis for a fitting revival of the original Bronco and almost certainly have the truck equivalent of the S197 on their hands. Even better Ford could use a simplified version of that same chassis to bring a new Ranger to market, justifying that trucks continued existence despite their current, cash-strapped state.

Instead we're getting a monstrosity that looks like a Bronco but resembles the truck in no other way. Hopefully this info got garbled in translation and somebody confused the facts since Ford was considering a Fiesta based Bronco back when the concept was released. However, with the cancellation of the Ranger I seriously doubt that this is the case. I think I'm going to be ill.

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-...ml#post6338615
Old 11/30/07, 12:08 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If making an econobox Bronco seems like a bright idea to Ford, then here's a great idea for the engineers that thought of it:

Old 11/30/07, 12:13 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great.
Old 11/30/07, 01:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I dunno, the fiesta-based EcoSport down in BR isn't a bad little SUV. With the new platform and a more Bronco-like design, I could get beind it.

Now, if it comes out all design and no substance like a Scion Xb, I'd be ****ed.
Old 11/30/07, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

^^^yep i agree, the "bronco" would need to look like the concept or else it'll be a HUGE disappointment.
Old 11/30/07, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Moosetang
I dunno, the fiesta-based EcoSport down in BR isn't a bad little SUV. With the new platform and a more Bronco-like design, I could get beind it.

http://www.carplace.com.br/wp-conten...d-ecosport.jpg

Now, if it comes out all design and no substance like a Scion Xb, I'd be ****ed.

I suppose my disappointment is based in the needless dillution of the Bronco name to market this little trucklet...and the missed opportunity for sales and profit that a true Bronco revival could provide. For comparison Toyota sells about 6k FJ Cruiser's a month despite the cartoonish appearance and somewhat pricey point of entry. Ford should easily be able to best that number with a proper 1st gen Bronco revival. Figure in the sales of a new Ranger based on the same platform and we could easily have vehicles which combined move over 250k units per year without the need for rebates or incentives and Ford is taking a pass.

While I agree that Ford needs to stop neglecting cars the last thing they need to do is to start ignoring trucks other than the F-Series. This is the one segment where they are still seen as a leader and they need to make the most of that.
Old 11/30/07, 02:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I certainly agree that a combo Ranger-Bronco would ake alot of sense, just like the original Ranger-Explorer combo did. But if we can scream and cry and gnash our teeth that a "large Crossover" should be called Fairlane, I don't see why we couldn't get behind a well-executed trucklet being called the Bronco.

Now, all this is contingent on it being well-executed, I'll have torch and pickfork in hand just like everyone else if they half-**** this thing.
Old 11/30/07, 11:53 PM
Closet American

As I've often remarked, it appears as though Ford of North America leadership remains asleep at the wheel.

I guess all will be revealed in the next few years, at which point, let's hope J. Mays doesn't get back up on the podium and tell us that "all will be revealed in the next few years."