Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

"Orion" Falcon being tested in NA

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/07, 01:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Orion" Falcon being tested in NA

http://www.leftlanenews.com/spied-fo...n-america.html

Interesting that LefLane mentions the next-gen 'Stang having Aussie roots. I don't know if cutting the E8 (Orion) down to 2 doors would be any more cost-effective than stretching the D2c to four. But if the E8's a world-class platform as it should be, it would be a great move for Mustang to tranistion to a derivative rather than carry on with D2C in the face of competition across the board. And it would only increase the business case to build Interceptor (though on the E8 platform).
Old 5/30/07, 03:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moosetang
http://www.leftlanenews.com/spied-fo...n-america.html

http://images.leftlanenews.com/conte...y30-falcon.jpg

Interesting that LefLane mentions the next-gen 'Stang having Aussie roots. I don't know if cutting the E8 (Orion) down to 2 doors would be any more cost-effective than stretching the D2c to four. But if the E8's a world-class platform as it should be, it would be a great move for Mustang to tranistion to a derivative rather than carry on with D2C in the face of competition across the board. And it would only increase the business case to build Interceptor (though on the E8 platform).
Orion is just another update on the current Falcon platform so it's roots are pretty old to say the least. Most of the rumours coming out of Oz indicate that, should the mustang and Falcon actually end up sharing a platform, it wont be a derivative of Orion/E8 or the Mustan's D2C platform. Of course Ford has tried to pull a fast one on issues like this before, so who knows.
Old 5/30/07, 05:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Orion is just another update on the current Falcon platform so it's roots are pretty old to say the least. Most of the rumours coming out of Oz indicate that, should the mustang and Falcon actually end up sharing a platform, it wont be a derivative of Orion/E8 or the Mustan's D2C platform. Of course Ford has tried to pull a fast one on issues like this before, so who knows.
Bleh, I was under the impression that E8 was more new than old, so I guess my whole line of reasoning is out the window. Oh well.
Old 5/30/07, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moosetang
Bleh, I was under the impression that E8 was more new than old, so I guess my whole line of reasoning is out the window. Oh well.
Well, dynamically rumours indicate they did an exceptional job on it despite the near ancient basis....but they typically do surprise with just how much they can do with an old chassis and a shoestring budget every time a new Falcon rolls 'round. But there are always shortcomings despite the innovation they've shown, old platforms make it inevitable, and I just don't hold out much hope that this will be the first one absent of the same.