Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

New Euro Focus Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/08, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up New Euro Focus Commercial

I was watching Married with Children reruns here in Greece (don't ask) the other day when a new commercial for the new Euro Ford Focus came on featuring an orchestra made entirely out of Focus parts. I thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share it with you guys. Note: the version I found was the Italian version and the phrase at the end, "magnifica esecuzione," means "beautifully arranged." I'd say.

Here's the commercial.

Here's an interview with Bill Milbrodt from the Car Music Project.

And here's the press release from Ford:
BRENTWOOD, Essex, 28 January, 2007
Ford's latest advertising campaign will focus on the music when it's aired in the UK from 4th February.

In a clever feat of musical ingenuity, an orchestra playing instruments created entirely from car parts performs the soundtrack to the new Ford Focus television commercial.

This harmonious masterpiece is the work of two American composers who have taken the concept of car sounds to the extreme. Hollywood film composer Craig Richey and New York sound designer Bill Milbrodt turned 21 parts from the new Ford Focus into musical instruments and arranged them to be played by an orchestra.

Milbrodt's team took apart a Ford Focus five-door hatchback that had, literally, just come off the production line. "When we got it to the mechanics shop, it had less than a mile on the clock. We took the doors and fenders off, but we had the body shell intact and we later cut out of that the parts we wanted," said Bill Milbrodt.

By the time the orchestra had been assembled for the photo shoot at Universal Studios in California, Milbrodt's team had constructed 31 instruments. Each has a name that instantly identified its origins, such as the Transmission Case Cello-Dulcimer, Clutch Guitar, Rear Suspension Spike Fiddle, Fender Bass, Hatchback Kick Drum, Handheld Gear Tambourine and Door Harp.

So what does music played by car parts sound like? Tune onto ITV on 4th February to find out!

Luckily, you don't have to wait that long.

Old 2/1/08, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty Cool!!
Old 2/1/08, 09:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool!
Old 2/5/08, 12:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I just wanted to add an update to this. Ford has now revealed the full 3 minute video (in English!) Here's the link to it.
Pretty cool. Can't wait to order mine.
Old 2/5/08, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The musical instruments were actually designed and built by an American Sculptor named Ray Faunce 3. Everything was done in his studio in Bucks County, PA. He showed us the video that Ford shot of the making of the instruments in his studio. He teaches at a college in Bucks Co., PA. Bill Millbrot did not create these instruments!
Old 2/5/08, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get it
Old 2/23/08, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Another update here:

Ford has collaborated with dance floor superstar Alesha Dixon to create an exclusive special edition remix and video to celebrate the launch of the new Ford Focus.

Alesha's latest video is inspired by the TV ad for the new Ford Focus that features an orchestra playing instruments created entirely from car parts.

The special edition Alesha Dixon video showcases a selection on the instrument including - Clutch Guitar, Door Harp, Fender Bass, Transmission Case Cello and Hatchback Kick Drum. In total 21 parts were taken from a new Ford Focus and turned into musical instrument that sound and look completely unique.

One of the instruments, the ‘Door Harp’ is made from a front door, a window, and a spring and uses harp strings. The ‘Clutch Guitar’ is made from body sheet metal, power brake booster and parts of the actual clutch. It has real guitar tuning keys and real guitar strings with the strap made from a seat belt.

The video shoot took place in one of the car manufacturer’s wind tunnels at its Technical Centre in Dunton, Essex in January. Alesha performs a classical remix of her track ‘For You I Will’ accompanied by twelve of the car part instruments.

Alesha Dixon says:
“When Ford first showed me the original TV ad and the incredible instruments I immediately wanted to get involved. They are amazing and so beautiful – I still can’t believe they are actually made from car parts and really work. The classical music theme was a perfect fit to the ‘For You I Will’ track and married the instrument concept and my music really successfully. The shoot was great fun and it was fantastic following Strictly Come Dancing to be able to wear such glamorous outfits so soon again!”

Ford PR manager Fiona Pargeter says:
“Because these instruments are so unique we wanted to do something really special to showcase them around the new Focus launch. Alesha added a huge amount of passion, energy and glamour to the project and we’re really pleased with the final video. She’s No.1 with the British public and I’m sure she’ll help keep the new Ford Focus as Britain’s No.1 too!

I'm not sure who she is but it's still pretty cool.

Here's the link to the video.

On a side note, I should be getting my ocean blue 3-door 1.6 ti-vct this coming week or the next and will post pics when I do.
Old 2/26/08, 02:25 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts