Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

New for CVPI

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/06, 05:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New for CVPI

Found this, interesting article actually http://www.hendonpub.com/secure/arti...ils.asp?ID=809

Here is a bit of what is new for the Crown Vic Police Interceptor...

New for the CVPI

Good news on the E85 front. E85 capability will be standard on the CVPI beginning in 2008. There will not be an optional gasoline-only engine. The retail Crown Victoria is already available with an E85-capable version of the 4.6L engine, but the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor is not. The E85-capable engine can run on any mix of gasoline, gasohol (E10) and ethanol (E85) fuels. The E85-capable CVPI will be available in all 50 states.

How will vehicle performance be affected by the E85 powertrain? The CVPI with E85 will have the same acceleration and top speed as the CVPI running on gasoline. How will the fuel mileage compare? The CVPI with E85 may get 20% to 30% percent fewer miles per gallon than the same car on gasoline. The E85 fuel has less energy per unit volume, so the decreased fuel economy is not a function of the vehicle but rather of the fuel.

Will the onboard, optional fire suppression system (FSS) be compatible with alcohol-based E85 fuel? The FSS performance is expected to be the same, as standard firefighting techniques are the same, but Ford has scheduled a test of the FSS with E85 to make sure.

For the 2008 model year, Ford will extend the oil change intervals on standard service gasoline and E85 vehicles from 5,000 miles to 7,500 miles. The oil change interval for severe duty vehicles (police cars) is going from 3,000 miles to 5,000 miles. This change does not affect diesel-powered vehicles. This extended change interval follows General Motor’s recent Oil Life System feature, which also doubles or triples the intervals.

Ford Fleet also emphasized the need to frequently check the oil level. With “normal” oil consumption as high as one quart in 1,500 miles during severe service, the police engine may almost run completely out of oil before the 5,000 mile change interval.

Continued discussions were held on the 2009 Ford CVPI. The PAB members emphasized “more speed” from the CVPI, both quicker acceleration to 100 mph and a higher top speed. Like many cops, Ford Fleet ALSO wants a full one-second improvement in zero to 60 mph times and a top speed of 140 mph from the CVPI.

Ford Fleet has researched a few options. Some have been taken off the table. Some are being reconsidered. Additional options are being considered. Expect help from Jack Roush Racing, the folks that brought us the Mercury Marauder.

In the works is a 4-inch diameter aluminum driveshaft. That step alone will allow the top speed limiter to be bumped up. The top speed on the 3.55-geared CVPI will now be increased from 119 mph to 129 mph. The top speed on the 3.27-geared CVPI will be bumped from 129 mph to 133 mph, which is essentially its true, unregulated top speed.
Old 10/30/06, 07:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coool... thanks man. Can't wait to hear what they come up with for 2009.
Old 10/30/06, 07:58 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet! Hooray for CVs!
Old 10/30/06, 12:35 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so wait let me get this straight...

a current CVPI can only do 119mph and 129mph?

thats just sad...atleast i know what i'll do if one ends up on my tail on the highway....

pull over of course...
Old 10/30/06, 02:34 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice.
Old 10/31/06, 12:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Knight
so wait let me get this straight...

a current CVPI can only do 119mph and 129mph?

thats just sad...atleast i know what i'll do if one ends up on my tail on the highway....

pull over of course...
You might outrun the Crown Vic, but you won't outrun the Motorola...
Old 10/31/06, 10:12 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by theedge67
You might outrun the Crown Vic, but you won't outrun the Motorola...
this is true...

but who said anything about outrunning the Crown Vic?

I have a story about CVPI this morning..

I was running late and i was taking a left turn the light turned yellow so i gunned it. the tail kicked out and i did a slight power slide through the turn. After making the turn guess who was directly behind me waiting at the light.. a local officer in his CVPI. He sped up right behind me once his light turned green and followed me for a mile or so and turned off. i was like whew... close one.
Old 11/1/06, 09:18 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL. And here I thought you were "responsible"
Old 11/1/06, 12:52 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by future9er24
LOL. And here I thought you were "responsible"
Old 11/2/06, 01:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, I never said they are slow, I drive one nearly every day and I know they are pretty quick. For anyone who is not already aware, they do have signifigant suspension upgrades that make them handle pretty darn well for how big they are. Also, being body on frame instead of unibody like most other cars, they are drastically tougher when it comes to bumps/curbs/ditches...etc. The engines are bullitproof being the tough old 4.6 that we know and love. They also come with an extra large cooling system, extra oil cooler, extra transmission cooler, heavy duty brakes, high speed rated tires, and 200 amp alternator (HUGE!!) to run all those lights, sirens, radios..etc. This is all not to mention the cop behind the wheel who has probably gone through EVOC (emergency vehicle operations course) and high speed pursuit drivers training, learning how to push that CVPI to the absolute limits while staying calm under the pressure.

Anyone want to take bets on Dale Jr. driving a V6 stang VS. the average Joe in a GT stang on a road course??? Dale may not be able to pass Joe, but I would bet money that he could hang with Joe...at least pretty well.

Just sparking thoughts, not trying to argue.
Old 11/2/06, 01:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Also remember that it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to chase than be chased.
Old 11/4/06, 01:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my new one! It's an '07 and it's only been here a week so I haven't had a chance to really get on it yet. Wrecking a new patrol car is not good for the paycheck either.
Attached Thumbnails New for CVPI-my-2-cars.jpg