Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Mulally plans a U-turn at Ford (Fortune Interview)

Old 11/1/06, 05:52 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Mulally plans a U-turn at Ford (Fortune Interview)

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/31/auto...tune/index.htm

Seems like he 'gets it' . . . . now he just has to make sure everyone else does as well. (I can't believe they didn't have a Business Plan?!?)
Old 11/1/06, 08:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The one common theme I heard was "product, product, product" and this was one of his most important comments IMO:

And the only way you generate profitable growth is with products and services that people want and they prefer.
Old 11/1/06, 04:56 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That plan better include dealers at some point.
Old 11/2/06, 08:49 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
(I can't believe they didn't have a Business Plan?!?)
I can.
Old 11/2/06, 08:51 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
The one common theme I heard was "product, product, product" and this was one of his most important comments IMO:

Funny how when I keep saying that on these boards, I'm told it's perception, NOT product...then immediately get condemned as a "Ford hater."

I love vindication.

Old 11/3/06, 07:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Funny how when I keep saying that on these boards, I'm told it's perception, NOT product...then immediately get condemned as a "Ford hater."

I love vindication.

Actually you're condemned for far more reasons than just that....

Oh...and not so fast on that vindication thing. While they do need new products to attract customers from the foreign makes, the products that they do have match import quality even though the perception is that they don't. While the message "product, product, product" is important, the flipside is that the domestics also need to win the hearts and minds of the consumers on the quality front in order to reverse that perception.
Old 11/3/06, 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

The one common theme I heard was "product, product, product" and this was one of his most important comments

I love vindication.

Your memory must be really bad. Why just the other day you posted this:
You know, it's sad, but when you get out of our Ford/Mustang enthusiast community, you really get a sense of how the outside world perceives Ford...and the company has GOT to change that perception, or it will die.
Old 11/3/06, 06:27 PM
Closet American

The mistake that you guys keep making, is erroneously separating quality and perception. For most of today's discerning buyers, they are one in the same.

Marketing is a different story.
Old 11/3/06, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The mistake that you guys keep making, is erroneously separating quality and perception. For most of today's discerning buyers, they are one in the same.

Marketing is a different story.
As I stated in another thread, some buyers never even bother to shop domestic brands due to the quality perception.
Old 11/3/06, 09:22 PM
Closet American

As I stated in another thread, some buyers never even bother to shop domestic brands due to the quality perception.
And many buyers never even bother to shop domestic brands because of bad experiences with them in the past, hence their 'perceptions'.

Who's fault is that? Again, you're arguing that perception happens in a vacuum, which is an erroneous belief.

It's like a life-long smoker going to the doctor, being diagnosed with lung cancer, and then blaming the doctor for the bad news.

I was taught to be responsible for my actions, not foist them off on someone else. Ford has a perception problem because they've had a quality problem over the years. That's not the buyer's fault, it's Ford's.

Now, how to change public perception is a different discussion, but once again, I believe if you start building a quality product, the public WILL take notice and 'perception' will take care of itself. And that argument is supported by the fact that Fusion sales are doing very well.
Old 11/4/06, 07:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

And many buyers never even bother to shop domestic brands because of bad experiences with them in the past, hence their 'perceptions'.

Who's fault is that? Again, you're arguing that perception happens in a vacuum, which is an erroneous belief.

It's like a life-long smoker going to the doctor, being diagnosed with lung cancer, and then blaming the doctor for the bad news.

I was taught to be responsible for my actions, not foist them off on someone else. Ford has a perception problem because they've had a quality problem over the years. That's not the buyer's fault, it's Ford's.

Now, how to change public perception is a different discussion, but once again, I believe if you start building a quality product, the public WILL take notice and 'perception' will take care of itself. And that argument is supported by the fact that Fusion sales are doing very well.
And there are plenty of people who've never bought or shopped domestics because they perceive the quality isn't there. To believe otherwise indicates you live in a vacuum. The truth is that both cases exist. Ford needs to win back those that they lost and win over those that never looked in the first place. It seems the Fusion and its siblings are doing just that just as you stated and I firmly believe the Edge will continue that trend.
Old 11/6/06, 03:41 PM
Cobra Member

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/31/auto...tune/index.htm

Seems like he 'gets it' . . . . now he just has to make sure everyone else does as well. (I can't believe they didn't have a Business Plan?!?)
That article must have misquoted Mulally or taken his quote out of context.
What the heck is this then?
http://media.ford.com/events/way_for...USINESS%20PLAN

This is a link to Ford's Business Plan dated January 23, 2006
Old 11/6/06, 04:17 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
That article must have misquoted Mulally or taken his quote out of context.
What the heck is this then?
http://media.ford.com/events/way_for...USINESS%20PLAN

This is a link to Ford's Business Plan dated January 23, 2006
I do not think Mulally was misquoted at all.

The link you provided is the FMC-North American Business Plan. The CNN interview with Mulally seems to indicate a 'WORLDWIDE' FMC Business Plan that they did not have, hence the "worldwide" quote.
Old 11/6/06, 05:11 PM
Closet American

Whoops. Looks like someone got again.

Old 11/7/06, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Whoops. Looks like someone got again.

That's what happens when you contradict yourself!!
Old 11/7/06, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

I do not think Mulally was misquoted at all.

The link you provided is the FMC-North American Business Plan. The CNN interview with Mulally seems to indicate a 'WORLDWIDE' FMC Business Plan that they did not have, hence the "worldwide" quote.

Originally Posted by money.cnn.com
But what we didn't have was a business plan.
It wasn't really clear which "business plan" they were talking about but then later they did mention "everybody on my team worldwide"...