Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

MotorTrend really don't like Ford Edge

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/06, 05:56 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I'm gonna chime in here with my 2 cents. From everything I'm reading and seeing myself, I think the Edge is quite possibly the best new Ford the company has produced in a very long time. I think this vehicle will be a home run.

The styling is nothing short of phenomenal - the front end in particular creates a look that is instantly "bold," uniquely Ford; stylish and eye-catching. It's a good look for them to adopt across the lineup - well, except for Mustang, of course.

The quality also looks superb to me - and I think one automotive journalist even tagged it as "over built." I do agree with one poster here that the interior isn't QUITE there yet - HVAC switch gear could use updating, and it would be nice if Ford went to full LED or some variation of electroluminescent gauges like many import competitors (Honda), but those are small gripes at this point.

Not sure what Motor Trend's problem is. The third row of seats and the engine refinement issues seem to be getting debated back and forth (both positvely and negatively by the press), which is curious, to be sure. But from what I've read, Ford never intended a third row of seats for the vehicle to begin with.

Personally, if I were in the market for a CUV, the Edge would be at the top of my list right now. You should also check out Ford's new Edge microsite, it's kinda cool.
Old 11/8/06, 11:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can tell you that the back seat of a Mustang would be more inviting than a third row in the Edge. It obviously wasn't designed for a third row and really doesn't need one. If you need to transport more than five people you should be looking at something bigger IMO. I can also say that if I could afford another vehicle I would be first in line to get an Edge.
Old 11/11/06, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Something I know I've read before from people regarding the 3 bar grille. I showed my wife the Edge today. My "My Ford" magazine arrived and I"m sure those of you who've seen it, the Edge is of course featured. She likes the Edge but said that the grille cheapens it's looks up some based on the rest of the design. I've heard that comment also regarding the Fusion. I feel that if theres a weak spot on Edge, it's the grille.
Old 11/11/06, 08:56 PM
Closet American

Personally, I think the multi-bar chrome grille is the strongest feature; the vehicle's "signature" look.
Old 11/11/06, 09:07 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I have to agree with BC. The grille work is the Edge's strongest feature. The front ends on the Fusion and Edge 'make' each vehicle. The two vehicles wouldn't be half as attractive if they did not have their respective 'bold' grilles.
Old 11/11/06, 09:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Do'nt get me wrong, I like the vehicle completely. And honestly I'm not like hating the grille, just stating that if there is a weak spot, I feel that's it.
Old 11/12/06, 03:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also read MT's report on the Edge, and being someone who actually builds them, I am quite offended by MT's remarks. The vehicle is beautiful. Inside they look so nice and I can only hope that Ford will sell alot of them. And speaking of Motor Trend, has anyone noticed that the magazine actually really sucks now. Car & Driver is so much better. I'm not just saying that because of what they wrote about the Edge. I noticed that magazine went in the crapper as soon as C. Van Tune left.
Old 11/12/06, 04:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by NIXTANG
And speaking of Motor Trend, has anyone noticed that the magazine actually really sucks now. Car & Driver is so much better.
In my opinion Motor Trend is better. Car and Driver is not bad, but Motor Trend is better.
Old 11/12/06, 05:18 PM
Closet American

I think with any of the magazines, it really just depends upon the individual writer.

I think the Edge is gonna be a HUGE hit - there's little to criticize and the vehicle looks distinctive AND attractive. Build quality seems to be pretty high, too, even though I haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

I just hope Ford keeps it up and continues to introduce new vehicles that are as exciting, distinctive and well-made as this. If they keep it up, their troubles will be over soon.

The Fusion accolades are made twice as sweet by Toyota's recent quality troubles and recalls. I just hope Ford doesn't ever slip back into complacency as a result; hopefully they've learned their lesson on that one.
Old 11/13/06, 11:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I prefer R&T myself. They've stayed more focused on motorsports and sporty/performance cars while still giving good general motoring reviews. And they're a fun group.

I like the rear of the Edge alot. The Front is bold and impressive, but the vent under the grille and the rounded shape of the nose laren't really my thing. But the rear is well integrated, has great details, and doesn't suggest a minivan at all. Great hiney