Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Lincoln Zephyr is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/06, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeffreyDJ @ February 8, 2006, 11:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wow, I guess someone has to disagree. IMO, it looks better then a Camry, ES330, Accord, etc.

What are you expecting? A Sportscar?!
[/b][/quote]

No, i'd be expecting somethign that looked better / performed better / had more features, etc than a darn 2003 Nissan Altima. Which this does not. This whole line is a joke, just like the 500. Another auto-show bait and switch job.
Old 2/8/06, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

You drive a Contour… and you're complaining about the Fusion?

Go get 'em, pal!
Old 2/8/06, 10:03 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not a fan of the 500 ... But the Fusion, Milian, MKZ are nice looking cars, IMO. You've said its cheap etc. in previous posts as well, which couldn't be further from the truth,. All three are probably the best built car Ford has right now as far as fit and finish -- including the Mustang.

Also, before this gets personal, in his defense, his contour is an SVT.
Old 2/8/06, 10:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zzcoop @ February 8, 2006, 9:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't know why they ever veered from the pre-production version. That car was gorgeous from bumper to bumper.

[/b][/quote]

Funny thing is, they went right to the C-shaped fog/parking lights on the Nav. They should of at least stepped up on the taillights, they ended up making the car look more narrow rather then wider on the prodo version. At least its known that the Mk means Mark~, that naming system has been around for a while. What the heck do acuras names mean? MDX TSX RSX TL RL?
Old 2/8/06, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeffreyDJ @ February 8, 2006, 11:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, before this gets personal, in his defense, his contour is an SVT.
[/b][/quote]

Not my intention, but it seems a little hypocritical to me to knock a car's cheapness, when, well…
Old 2/8/06, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zzcoop @ February 8, 2006, 12:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not my intention, but it seems a little hypocritical to me to knock a car's cheapness, when, well…
[/b][/quote]

Uh, my "contour" will run circles around a Fusion. It took Ford until now to come up with a sedan chassis that could even come close to being as tight as one they had 10 yrs ago.

And while my dash may not be made of the newest/finest plastic like the Fusion and Mustang, my seats/leather appointments are worlds above both (and are actually made of real leather too). You might want to do some reasearch before you rip a CSVT, it's probably the finest sport sedan Ford, or GM for that matter, has produced ever.

And my car is 6 yrs old (and is built off a platform that came out 10 yrs ago). I wouldn't expect it to be of the same fit and finish quality as todays cars. I would however, expect a Lincoln not to have half inch wide panel gaps on one side of the car, and BMW thin ones on the other. Especially not in a 30k+ car.
Old 2/8/06, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure your car performs superbly.

All I know is, of the two, I know which one I'd rather own.
Old 2/8/06, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What's in a name? The Lincoln Zephyr has only been here (and sounds like it will only be here) 1 year. The last Zephyr before this Fusion twin was from Mercury. I got my first drivers license in a 1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-door. Not the greatest car, but it had a 302 in it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I see a decent amount of potential in this car, but it needs some fine tuning. Give the car some performance as a selling point. Performance sells and you can have a good ride along with competent handling. This car should be shooting for the Acura TL and Lexus ES.

-More HP: Should be 270ish for a premium car
-MazdaSpeed 6 Brakes
-Standard Manumatic Transmission...Think BMW Steptronic
-Optional Sport Package: Low profile Performance tires wrapped in 18's, Firmer shocks, Lowered 1", and upgraded sway bars.
-Fix the interior: Redesign that cheap looking steering wheel and design a instrument cluster fit for a luxury car.
Old 2/8/06, 11:34 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Why would anyone name car Zephyr and then change it to MKZ 6 months later?
Old 2/8/06, 01:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJayC @ February 8, 2006, 11:37 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You might want to do some reasearch before you rip a CSVT, it's probably the finest sport sedan Ford, or GM for that matter, has produced ever.[/b][/quote]

Oh man. Thanks for the laugh. I really needed that.

By the way, as far as "reasearching" maybe you should check the Zephyr's MSRP.
Old 2/8/06, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred0383 @ February 8, 2006, 3:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Oh man. Thanks for the laugh. I really needed that.
[/b][/quote]

Name 1 better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred0383 @ February 8, 2006, 3:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
By the way, as far as "reasearching" maybe you should check the Zephyr's MSRP.
[/b][/quote]

"2006 Zephyr
Starting at: $29,660* "

loaded = $ 35,435

keep laughing clown.
Old 2/8/06, 02:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh, everyone needs to keep it nice. If we can't agree cordially, take it to PM. No more insults in this thread. (That means no sarcastic/insulting response to the above).
Old 2/8/06, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJayC @ February 8, 2006, 3:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Name 1 better.
"2006 Zephyr

loaded = $ 35,435

keep laughing clown.
[/b][/quote]

The Lincoln LS V8...now quit your whining.

The SVT Contour was a good sedan by Ford standards, but it's nothing special. My 00 Maxima 5 speed performed better and was a better quality car.
Old 2/8/06, 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJayC @ February 8, 2006, 3:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Name 1 better.
"2006 Zephyr

loaded = $ 35,435

keep laughing clown.
[/b][/quote]

You're right, I forgot to include destination (base MSRP is 28,995).

Also the new model gets a 29 hp, and 35 lb/ft torque upgrade (which is a little more than the figures you alluded to earlier). The engine is also engineered to be flexible (built for turbos, other mods, etc) and is ULEV-II compliant for emissions.

So lets see, a brand new 3.5L , AWD, 6-sp auto entry level luxury car for 35K...yeah, that's horrible. Just think, the Fusion will have that too, AND be 7-8k cheaper.

As far as better sports sedans....are you talking EVER, or SINCE YOUR CAR WAS MADE, or CURRENT. Because I can come up with some for each.

Curently, if I had to choose a particulal model, I would choose the Ford Falcon (Aussie make) or Lincoln LS. But to be completely honest with you, any of the 2006, 2007 FMC/GM debuts are riding on chassis so far beyond what we have come to expect of doemestic automakers, I would pick just about any of them.

Edit: I didn't see the mods post above until after I posted this. I hope I kept the sarcasm to a minimum. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/8/06, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred0383 @ February 8, 2006, 4:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You're right, I forgot to include destination (base MSRP is 28,995).

Also the new model gets a 29 hp, and 35 lb/ft torque upgrade (which is a little more than the figures you alluded to earlier). The engine is also engineered to be flexible (built for turbos, other mods, etc) and is ULEV-II compliant for emissions.

So lets see, a brand new 3.5L , AWD, 6-sp auto entry level luxury car for 35K...yeah, that's horrible. Just think, the Fusion will have that too, AND be 7-8k cheaper.

As far as better sports sedans....are you talking EVER, or SINCE YOUR CAR WAS MADE, or CURRENT. Because I can come up with some for each.

Curently, if I had to choose a particulal model, I would choose the Ford Falcon (Aussie make) or Lincoln LS. But to be completely honest with you, any of the 2006, 2007 FMC/GM debuts are riding on chassis so far beyond what we have come to expect of doemestic automakers, I would pick just about any of them.

Edit: I didn't see the mods post above until after I posted this. I hope I kept the sarcasm to a minimum. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

The SVT Contour outperforms the LS V8 on the track, and I said US cars, the Falcon does not count.
Old 2/8/06, 11:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJayC @ February 8, 2006, 11:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The SVT Contour outperforms the LS V8 on the track, and I said US cars, the Falcon does not count.
[/b][/quote]

You never said US cars, you said finest car Ford or GM has ever produced. Last time I checked the Ford Falcon was made by Ford.

As far as the Contour outperforming the LS V8 on a track, are we talking road course or dragstrip? I am sure the the Contour with its SVT suspension would have the advantage in the twisties, but otherwise, I think the LS would have the advantage. However you weren't merely commenting on the perfomance, you were talking about over vehicle quality and chassis sophistication. Not even you can say the SVT C holds those qualities over either the Falcon or LS.
Old 2/9/06, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

So where does the Taurus SHO fit into the picture?
Old 2/9/06, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zzcoop @ February 9, 2006, 9:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So where does the Taurus SHO fit into the picture?
[/b][/quote]

I dunno, you'd have to find someone who has managed to keep one running this long [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

The V6 SHO's was faster to 60 and through the 1/4, but in stock form it's handling was pretty limp. Had the same seats as my Tbird SC, which were nice. Best year for them IMO was the first year (89) when they looked like any other taurus.

The V8 ones have some serious motor issues.
Old 2/9/06, 09:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJayC @ February 8, 2006, 11:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

What does track performance have to do with your above statement? The LS is a better car, end of story.

Quick Reply: Lincoln Zephyr is Gone!