Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Lincoln Zephyr is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/06, 01:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahaha... well... kinda. Its got a new name! 2007 Mark Z, or MKZ. Here's the article on autoblog:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/07/lincoln...-2007-zeph-mkz/

So starting in 2007, it gets the Duratec 35 and available AWD, nothing we didn't really know, but also a slightly reworked front end.
Lets play spot the differences?

Not too easy huh?
Lately, i've been thinking about the tail on this car. I often talk to my girlfriend about cars, a bit too much some times. Then the other day, we're walking downtown, and I see a zephyr. I don't say anything, cause i'm curious to see if she'll notice it, as we're coming up to it from behind. Sure enough, she's like... the tail lights on that car are ugly! I knew i wasn't the only one. How do y'all feel about the tail lights on this car? I really wish they had touched them up for this refreshening. Just maybe made them a bit less chunky!

I posted something along these lines on autoblog: i think its cool to see ford actually being active and not holding off on a change just cause its too soon. I didn't think the name was so great, they wanna get into this Mark naming thing, so they just went ahead and did it, regardless of how long ago the car came out. If you can improve on something and it'll probably help out sales, just do it now!
Old 2/7/06, 05:22 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I want one. (3.5, AWD) The rear look better (at least to me) at night with lights on, but I like them regardless. Very distinctive and noticable when driving on the interstate.
Old 2/7/06, 05:32 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, I think the new naming system lincoln is using is horrible... that's just me.
Old 2/7/06, 06:15 AM
Post *****

I'm not high on their new naming system, either. But I'm liking their lineup a whole lot more . . .
Old 2/7/06, 07:14 AM
Cobra R Member

i think Aviator and Navigator were really good names, hopefully the Navigator will keep its name for a while.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../602070403/1148

When do you think this'll get on the lots? It'll be hard for them to sell many zephyrs if a lot of people hear about this thing.
Old 2/7/06, 08:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I welcome the changes. One problem I see though is the engine output. Lincoln should have upped the output to 265ish. I know that this engine will be offered in other Ford products at the same output. Lincoln owners should get a hp bump for the price. A good example would be Nissan and Infiniti using the VQ.
Old 2/7/06, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 7, 2006, 9:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I welcome the changes. One problem I see though is the engine output. Lincoln should have upped the output to 265ish. I know that this engine will be offered in other Ford products at the same output. Lincoln owners should get a hp bump for the price. A good example would be Nissan and Infiniti using the VQ.
[/b][/quote]

That would be a nice round figure. I would hope that at least when the 3.5L eventually shows up in the Fusion/Milan, that MKZ will get the HP bump at that point. It would even be nicer if they offered a hi-perf MKZ with AWD and either an SC 3.5L or the 4.4L V8 from the MKS. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/7/06, 08:52 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree there, lincolns version should be higher then 250 for the price...
Old 2/7/06, 09:52 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
man that car looks great in those pics..that is all [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/7/06, 10:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't know which is which of the pics but I can spot a couple differences.

1: the fog lamps are smaller in the top pic.
2: There is no horizontal line across the grill.

It's not a bad looking Lincoln but they've never really been a favorite of mine. The Lincoln's I have been in all seem to have comfortable seating.
Old 2/7/06, 10:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I gotta give Lincoln credit for making improvements. It may not be to the extent some of us would like to see but at least it's a step in the right direction.
Old 2/7/06, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks pretty cool...

Media.ford.com
Old 2/7/06, 11:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ February 7, 2006, 6:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Honestly, I think the new naming system lincoln is using is horrible... that's just me.
[/b][/quote]

While I too prefer the names, it seems they want to go the way of all the other luxury marques with the letters/numbers. The only ones who do this "Right," at least in my opinion, is Mercedes-Benz (class of car in letters, engine displacement in numbers).

That being said, I think it would be a lot better if it was "Mark Z," "Mark S," etc. vs. the "MKZ," "MKS."
Old 2/8/06, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustang_sallad @ February 7, 2006, 2:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Lately, i've been thinking about the tail on this car. I often talk to my girlfriend about cars, a bit too much some times. Then the other day, we're walking downtown, and I see a zephyr. I don't say anything, cause i'm curious to see if she'll notice it, as we're coming up to it from behind. Sure enough, she's like... the tail lights on that car are ugly! I knew i wasn't the only one. How do y'all feel about the tail lights on this car? I really wish they had touched them up for this refreshening. Just maybe made them a bit less chunky![/b][/quote]

I don't know why they ever veered from the pre-production version. That car was gorgeous from bumper to bumper.

Old 2/8/06, 08:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zzcoop @ February 8, 2006, 8:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't know why they ever veered from the pre-production version. That car was gorgeous from bumper to bumper.

[/b][/quote]

I agree 100%. That was one of the best looking Lincolns in a long time.
Old 2/8/06, 08:32 AM
Post *****

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ February 8, 2006, 10:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I agree 100%. That was one of the best looking Lincolns in a long time.
[/b][/quote]

I second that . .
Old 2/8/06, 08:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I third that. The back end I don't dislike, but it could be imporved.

Also, I'm not sure the MKZ name is much worse then Zephyr, though.
Old 2/8/06, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I actually don't mind the MK naming scheme. If it will help image and sales, so be it.

It's no less confusing than what Caddy's got going right now.
Old 2/8/06, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's still an awful looking car. They duffed it big time with the whole Fusion/Milan/Zephyr line. That concept was low and sleek, this thing looks like a Corolla with dual exhaust. I don't get it, why does Ford even try? Their cars look so cheap and uninspired compared to the competition. If they are too hard up for cash, why not just cut back. They just give the critics more to rip with these half-baked attempts at "innovative" styling. And nice power bump boys...all the time they waited for this 3.5 and it bumps up a whopping 20hp. GREAT JOB, YAY!!!
Old 2/8/06, 09:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Wow, I guess someone has to disagree. IMO, it looks better then a Camry, ES330, Accord, etc.

What are you expecting? A Sportscar?!

Quick Reply: Lincoln Zephyr is Gone!