Old 12/23/08, 10:37 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln MKT

Old 12/23/08, 11:02 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
interesting, very mazdaish with the hips, and the instrument panel.
Old 12/23/08, 11:06 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the Mazda look
Old 12/23/08, 11:09 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

All Lincolns are starting to have the same front end (MKZ, MKS and now MKT). Not to mention very similar names.
Old 12/23/08, 11:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
All Lincolns are starting to have the same front end (MKZ, MKS and now MKT). Not to mention very similar names.
I'm fairly sure that's what they're going for.

Looks good, doesn't look like a Flex w/different badges, and has obvious "that's a Linc" cues. Good work so far.

Last edited by Moosetang; 12/23/08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12/23/08, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Definitely see the CX-9 in the hips, but that's not a bad thing...especially if it gets similar reviews to the CX-9. I know they are on different platforms, but if the Linc can surpass the Mazda in the interior and driving dynamics, then the MKT will be a hit!
Old 12/24/08, 05:39 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see that Lincolns are departing dramatically from Fords in the design department...and that interior looks good so far.

But remind me why they need this vehicle again?
Old 12/24/08, 06:35 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like it so far, just wish they'd give it a real name...
Old 12/24/08, 08:57 AM
Cobra R Member

That thing is just Horrible! It's Just an Un-Godly Fugly Mess! Lincoln used to be my "Ideal Luxury" brand, but since they Killed the Mark Series (Mark II-VIII) Started Focusing on the "Gangstaness" called Navigator, killed the Continental, and Highly acclaimed LS, and then started naming all their cars, Mk/Mark Whatever they have lost all creditability in my opinion.

Ford needs to reorganize Lincoln, like GM did with Cadillac. Which is now a Well Respected Luxury Brand again. Cadillac recognized what Luxury Car Buyers wanted and were buying. Namely the European Luxury Formula, which Lexus followed. Small, medium and large models focused on performance, quality and Dynamic Styling.

Yes Cadillac has had it's share of "Blingmobiles" with the Escalade and it's sub models, but Cadillac hasn't focused on only building SUV's and Trucks, and Badge engineering models, while letting their other models whither and die like Lincoln has.

I don't know what happened to Lincoln? I believe that it was ignored when Ford started promoting it's "Premier Luxury Group." Why did they need Lincoln when they had Luxury names like Jaguar, and Aston Martin? Even then, Lincoln came out with several Stunning, Show Stopping concept cars, a few years ago, Hailed by the Media. Then did nothing with them? What The Hell?

These cars were Drool Worthy!

This thing just makes me wanna Puke!

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/24/08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12/24/08, 09:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67

That thing is just Horrible! It's Just an Un-Godly Fugly Mess! Lincoln used to be my "Ideal Luxury" brand, but since they Killed the Mark Series (Mark II-VIII) Started Focusing on the "Gangstaness" called Navigator, killed the Continental, and Highly acclaimed LS, and then started naming all their cars, Mk/Mark Whatever they have lost all creditability in my opinion.

Ford needs to reorganize Lincoln, like GM did with Cadillac. Which is now a Well Respected Luxury Brand again. Cadillac recognized what Luxury Car Buyers wanted and were buying. Namely the European Luxury Formula, which Lexus followed. Small, medium and large models focused on performance, quality and Dynamic Styling.

Yes Cadillac has had it's share of "Blingmobiles" with the Escalade and it's sub models, but Cadillac hasn't focused on only building SUV's and Trucks, and Badge engineering models, while letting their other models whither and die like Lincoln has.

I don't know what happened to Lincoln? I believe that it was ignored when Ford started promoting it's "Premier Luxury Group." Why did they need Lincoln when they had Luxury names like Jaguar, and Aston Martin? Even then, Lincoln came out with several Stunning, Show Stopping concept cars, a few years ago, Hailed by the Media. Then did nothing with them? What The Hell?

These cars were Drool Worthy!

Those were all great show cars! I love the Lincoln MKR as well. However I completely hate the new naming convention. I mean really... MKT... The Lincoln "Market"... What's next? A Focus based Lincoln called "MKY"?
Old 12/24/08, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

No worse than anyone else's alphanumeric naming system.

What I want to know is why didn't they go with the big grille?
Old 12/24/08, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zzcoop
No worse than anyone else's alphanumeric naming system.

What I want to know is why didn't they go with the big grille?
I don't like alpha-numeric naming. Give me a name and I can easily recall what it is but tell me you got a MD350CLI and I get it all confused with anything from a Acura to a Mercedes.
Old 12/24/08, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

+1QFT
Old 12/24/08, 09:22 AM
Cobra R Member

I agree, I couldn't tell you an MKT, from an MKR or an MKS. The naming part of the European Luxury thing is ridiculous. Now if they used an actual Alpha-Numeric designation like say MK-3, for their small model. MK-5 for the mid size and MK-7 for their large models, with say a C designation for a Coupe, such as an MK-3c or MK-7c, I could deal with that, but still not happy they took the name from my favorite Lincolns of the past and dumbed it down, and relegated it to such a generic designation for all their models.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/24/08 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12/24/08, 10:11 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67
I agree, I couldn't tell you an MKT, from an MKR or an MKS. The naming part of the European Luxury thing is ridiculous. Now if they used an actual Alpha-Numeric designation like say MK-3, for their small model. MK-5 for the mid size and MK-7 for their large models, with say a C designation for a Coupe, such as an MK-3c or MK-7c, I could deal with that, but still not happy they took the name from my favorite Lincolns of the past and dumbed it down, and relegated it to such a generic designation for all their models.
yup, MarkVII sounded nice... MKT..... kinda generic....
Old 12/24/08, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Only if it comes in Hippo Gray and they have an aftermarket "tusk" grille for it!
Old 12/24/08, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

I was thinking more Rhino, than Hippo when I saw this pic, but yeah, Hippo works too. Like I said it just makes me wanna Puke!

Old 12/24/08, 01:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Ok, I have to take exception with your characterization of Cadillac's revitalization. Linc had Caddy on the ropes until the 2nd-generation Escalade hit, and became the blinger of choice. The First-gen CTS didn't hit the streets until 2 years later, and that didn't really blow anyone's skirts up until the first CTS-V broke out. The only "not" badge-engineered car in their lineup is the CTS, the rest from XLR to Escalade to that crappy crossover are all lifts from the rest of GM. Caddy owes it's rebirth to the blingmobile and SUV markets peaking at the same time, that occurance gave it the chance to redefine itself for a younger generation.

The key to Linc's survival is to sell Lincs, and considering how well the MKX has done I can't fault them for making another play for the CUV market. They have the MKS and MKZ sedans, both very good already and likely to get better, so it's not like they're ignoring the car market.
Old 12/24/08, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much to my surprise, I just passed one of these on I-75 about 50 miles south of Lexington in Kentucky completely undisguised in a nice burgundy hue. Pictures don't do the vehicle justice, it looks much better in person. Also worth mentioning, this sucker looks as huge as it is.

That said, I'm not nuts about the concept or the execution. I can see how some folks would like the styling, and as mentioned above it is attractive, but I'm not clamoring to get myself into one by any means and IMHO these just aren't proper Lincolns. Much like Tampa Bear above, I think the Mk 9 concept was exactly the kind of car Lincoln should be building and should have been used as a watermark car driving Lincoln back into the classic days of understated elegance when Lincoln was truly the world standard despite certain rival brands delusions.

I also have to chime in and agree with Moosetang regarding the 'revival' of Cadillac. The truth of the matter is that the STS, XLR, and SRX were/are all somewhat disappointing efforts to say the least, and those three models consitute a very large percentage of the model lineup. CTS has obviously performed better, but as Moosetang indicated the V series has helped a lot there. The new CTS is a huge step forward and certainly seems to be a good indicator that Caddy knows how to ge this one right, but the lack of a V8 in anything but the 'set on kill' V Series model is a bit surprising to say the least and the truth of the matter is that, Escalade aside, this is Caddy's one truly good model offering.....the rest of the lineup is still striving to catch up to the competition.

When the CTS lineup is finally filled out, as promised, and the rest of the Caddy lineup begins to follow the same path to success I'll agree the Caddy is truly in revival mode. Until then they are just another luxury car company that got one car right.

Last edited by jsaylor; 12/24/08 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12/24/08, 07:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
The new CTS is a huge step forward and certainly seems to be a good indicator that Caddy knows how to ge this one right, but the lack of a V8 in anything but the 'set on kill' V Series model is a bit surprising to say the least and the truth of the matter is that, Escalade aside, this is Caddy's one truly good model offering.....the rest of the lineup is still striving to catch up to the competition.
Which one of the CTS's competitors has a V8?

Cadillac is way ahead of Liconln in being competitive with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKT