Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Lincoln MKS

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/08, 10:38 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
You just showed me a picture of a station wagon. I could put fancy wheels and huge spoiler on a Passat but it would still be a mommy wagon. I do like the V8 S80 though, very stylish. Why did they get rid of the S60R?
Didn't know one could purchase a Turbocharged 300hp AWD Passat?

S60R and V70R were slow sellers and got the ax!
Old 7/10/08, 10:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did they get rid of the S60R?
Because it was an embarrassment compared to the M, S, or AMG competitors. Since they don't have the cash to match Zee Germans right now (they have to concentrate on improving overall sales/profitability) it was easier just to kill the R line for now.
Old 7/10/08, 12:10 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
Because it was an embarrassment compared to the M, S, or AMG competitors. Since they don't have the cash to match Zee Germans right now (they have to concentrate on improving overall sales/profitability) it was easier just to kill the R line for now.
You're right when compared to a M, S, or AMG series, but I never considered the R to be a direct competitor to those. The last versions of the 'R' were ok, nothing special. However, I do love the the V70 R and plan to have one in my driveway as a DD at some point.
Old 7/10/08, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
... but I never considered the R to be a direct competitor to those...
Hence the problem. As a niche brand Volvo's going nowhere, they're trying to push themselves into Audi territory both in product quality and brand perception, and they can't do that if the Rs aren't even considered in the same equation as Zee Germans. Its actually better to not have the Rs there embarrassing themselves, then after the main lineup is better cared for reluanch the performance brand with something that really turns heads.
Old 7/10/08, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
They should be because I was strongly considering an R8, in fact I was gonna get two R8's. Not anymore though, not after learning of Audis front drive nonsense. Outraged . But in all seriousness, I would never buy a German car, they are overpriced, over hyped, and you pay a premium on them because they are from Germany. Feel free to disagree.
Wow! I have permission to disagree????

In some respects, I agree. I wouldn't buy one new but I would definitely consider a nice used 330i or S4 if the price was right.
Old 7/10/08, 04:36 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I would never buy a German car, they are overpriced, over hyped, and you pay a premium on them because they are from Germany. Feel free to disagree.
I have to disagree with this.
When it comes to luxury nobody can compete with Mercedes and BMW. Not Lexus, not Cadillac, not Infiniti, not Acura and especially not Lincoln.
Old 7/10/08, 06:48 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Star
I have to disagree with this.
When it comes to luxury nobody can compete with Mercedes and BMW. Not Lexus, not Cadillac, not Infiniti, not Acura and especially not Lincoln.

That might have been true back in the old days, but today companies like Lexus provide superior overall build quality (not to mention reliability) with comparable luxury and technology, often for a few dollars less.
Old 7/10/08, 06:59 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Lexus readily competes with the luxury and technology of Mercedes and BMW and its been driving them crazy for years. Not so much in the ES and GS but the flagship LS is and has always been the better of any equally priced, similarly sized BMW or Mercedes.
Old 7/11/08, 12:16 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Lexus can only compete against Mercedes and BMW in the USA. Lexus can't even get a break in his own home market. And here is Europe absolutely nobody takes Lexus seriously when it comes to comparison against Mercedes and BMW.
Lexus LS is a joke compared to Mercedes S-Class. S-Class has been best selling full size luxury car for years and pretty much every world leader has one.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 7/11/08 at 12:27 AM.
Old 7/11/08, 04:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch
kinda like the way the console controls flow without the Nav System...

Whats with the varnished 2x2 wood stud going across the dash? They also made the dash pad look like an aftermarket dash pad cover with seamed and sticthed edges...
Old 7/11/08, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

That might have been true back in the old days, but today companies like Lexus provide superior overall build quality (not to mention reliability) with comparable luxury and technology, often for a few dollars less.
While I know that you're correct, I just can't find myself desiring to own a Lexus like I do BMW or Audi. There's no emotional connection for me. Lexus, like all other Toyota products, just screams "appliance" to me. Granted, it's a well-made, well-appointed appliance but an appliance nonetheless.
Old 7/11/08, 07:24 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Red Star
Lexus can only compete against Mercedes and BMW in the USA. Lexus can't even get a break in his own home market. And here is Europe absolutely nobody takes Lexus seriously when it comes to comparison against Mercedes and BMW.
Lexus LS is a joke compared to Mercedes S-Class. S-Class has been best selling full size luxury car for years and pretty much every world leader has one.
And...?

North America still represents the Holy Grail of market share, where Lexus, Acura and Infiniti easily compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi. It's true, Lexus is having a tougher time breaking into Europe, but that's to be expected.

As to Lexus' home market, many of the cars share too many similarities with the baser Toyota equivalents - so a strategy of infiltration there probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

My problem with Lexus is that they are beautifully engineered and crafted...but utterly without soul. I have NO desire to own one, even though I have a friend who owns an IS350 and likes to point out how "crude" my Mustang is by comparison. Which is funny, because I get WAY more looks and compliments in one month for my car than he has EVER gotten for his car in two years.

He also wants to race me. Though now that I have had the tune done, I suspect it would be "bye-bye, charlie."

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 7/11/08 at 07:25 PM.
Old 7/11/08, 07:27 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
While I know that you're correct, I just can't find myself desiring to own a Lexus like I do BMW or Audi. There's no emotional connection for me. Lexus, like all other Toyota products, just screams "appliance" to me. Granted, it's a well-made, well-appointed appliance but an appliance nonetheless.
Agreed. Point of fact is I'd much rather have Caddy's new CTS than the Lexus IS350.
Old 7/11/08, 07:28 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by watchdevil
They also made the dash pad look like an aftermarket dash pad cover with seamed and sticthed edges...
"Cut and sew."

Old 7/11/08, 08:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Agreed. Point of fact is I'd much rather have Caddy's new CTS than the Lexus IS350.
Same here.
Old 7/11/08, 10:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

This all reminds me of how unfortunate it is that Lincoln has so utterly lost their way. When in A game trim, Lincoln was a unique brand with a lot of appeal. The ultimate Lincolns, and the cars which most readily defined the brand, were built in the 30's, 50's and 60's. The Zephyrs and Continentals of Lincoln's heyday were beautiful, powerful cars that oozed with sophistication and grace. They possessed the kind of effortless comfort you expect from a Lexus LS460, but in stark contrast to that Japanese sedan they possessed a level of character few luxury cars have equaled since. They possessed striking good looks, but did so without being overtly ostentatious like cross town rival Cadillac. Finally, they possessed good performance without compromising either of the above.

In recent years I have taken to comparing the great Lincoln's of the past to a young Audrey Hepburn in her little black dress. Beautiful in a way that transcends time or era; the definition of style, grace, and sophistication. Unfortunately nobody currently 'does it' the way that Lincoln did back when they did it right.....not even Lincoln.
Old 7/12/08, 07:48 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
When in A game trim, Lincoln was a unique brand with a lot of appeal.
The LS came pretty close, unique platform not shared with lesser Fords, timeless styling, great handling. The LS was the start of something good at Lincoln, too bad the LS got the famous Ford lanuch and abandon treatment and it's follow on sibblings were still born.
Old 7/12/08, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by V10
...timeless styling...
Whoops, gotta stop you there. There was much to like about the LS, but the styling was part of the problem. It wasn't awful generic like the Catera was, but it was neither modern nor iconic enough to turn heads consistently.