Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Lincoln MKS

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/06, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by max2000jp@January 10, 2006, 11:10 AM
Here is the article I read: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2005601090340

It states the MKS as Lincoln's Flagship. The TC is currently Lincoln's flagship vehicle. The MKS is a big car judging by the pics.

Edit: http://media.ford.com/products/press_artic...J$94$

Ford states it's a "full size" luxury sedan. The LS is a mid-sized luxury sedan. Sounds like a TC replacement to me.
First, the Ford article states that it "hints" at the direction for large, flagship sedan but it doesn't say the MKS is a large sedan.

Secondly, you might want to read all the information from the links you post. The wheelbase of the MKS is 114.4, which is nearly identical to the LS at 114.5. Also, the overall length of the MKS (203.8) is very close to the LS (194.3). The TC by comparison has a wheelbase of 117.7 and a length of 215.4. I'd say the evidence leans more toward the MKS being an LS replacement rather than a TC replacement.
Old 1/10/06, 11:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92@January 10, 2006, 12:36 PM
First, the Ford article states that it "hints" at the direction for large, flagship sedan but it doesn't say the MKS is a large sedan.

Secondly, you might want to read all the information from the links you post. The wheelbase of the MKS is 114.4, which is nearly identical to the LS at 114.5. Also, the overall length of the MKS (203.8) is very close to the LS (194.3). The TC by comparison has a wheelbase of 117.7 and a length of 215.4. I'd say the evidence leans more toward the MKS being an LS replacement rather than a TC replacement.
Hints meaning that it's a concept car that has strong production possibilities in the near future. The car is a large sedan, look at the picture. I am sure we will see this car soon, but IMO it's too large to be an LS replacement. The LS was a midsized sedan. With a modern chassis and I am assuming a transverse mounted engine, you don't need the long vehicle length to sustain a large trunk and interior compartment. This car is about the size of an A8 or 745i which are large luxury sedans. Judging by size, it's closest to the late Continental. Either way it's a step in the right direction for Lincoln.
Old 1/10/06, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@January 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
Hints meaning that it's a concept car that has strong production possibilities in the near future. The car is a large sedan, look at the picture. I am sure we will see this car soon, but IMO it's too large to be an LS replacement. The LS was a midsized sedan. With a modern chassis and I am assuming a transverse mounted engine, you don't need the long vehicle length to sustain a large trunk and interior compartment. This car is about the size of an A8 or 745i which are large luxury sedans. Judging by size, it's closest to the late Continental. Either way it's a step in the right direction for Lincoln.
Great way to sidestep the fact that the LS and MKS are the same size. I think you have a great future in politics!
Old 1/10/06, 11:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@January 10, 2006, 12:54 PM
Great way to sidestep the fact that the LS and MKS are the same size. I think you have a great future in politics!

Same Size?

LS: Overall Length 194.4 in
MKS: Overall Length 203.8 in.

Since when is a 9.4" difference the same size???????? Again, the LS is a midsized vehice(like the Jag S-type). This is a full sized sedan with similar dimesions to an A8 or 745i.
Old 1/10/06, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@January 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
Kenny I read that the MKS will be Lincoln's Flagship, so I would think that it's a replacement for the TC. Lincoln touts it as a large sized luxury sedan. The LS was and should remain a mid sized luxury sedan.
I agree with you, but I think we are both right. The information has been a little mixed between sources, and here is probably why. Ford is showing this car and acting as if it is just one car, instead of the ideal behind two near to market cars.

The problem in the reporting is probably due to this. It has been well known that Ford is going to have 2 new sedans in 2007 as 2008 models for Lincoln. They were supposed to be built in Atlanta, but with the approaching rumors of the Jan. 23 company restructuring, there is a lot of belief that the new products will be shifted to the Wixom, Michigan plant, which had previously been rumored to close, and the closure may now be Atlanta's fate. We will not know any thing definate till the 23rd announcement. Also, it is worth pointing out that Wixom does currently build the Town Car.

For the past 1 to 2 years, it has been consistently reported that the two new models would be replacements for the LS and probably the Continental. There are rumors that the current Town Car will continue production in St. Thomas, Canada where it's structural twins the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis are currently built. So there is a mess of "what-ifs" going around. I think the general belief has been that the current Town Car would continue as it is, which would explain why the ideal of a Continental would arise, to fit between the LS replacement and an aging Town Car.

At closer look of the specifications, this MKS showcar is actually just a couple inches longer than the current FiveHundred in both wheelbase and overall length, so that would make good sense that this is the larger of the two cars, and not the smaller of the two as has been reported. The MKS is almost certainly the replacement for the Continental or Town Car, which one I do not think any can really answer with accuracy just yet. However, this platform will still very likely be the basis for the shorter sedan that will replace the LS too.

So like I mentioned, I think we are both right. This is the flagship model, but there will be an LS based off of it.
Old 1/10/06, 12:41 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i like it!!!!

but alas, ye shall never take the spot of mine beloved LS in my heart

lol, i like LSs :P
Old 1/10/06, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@January 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
Same Size?

LS: Overall Length 194.4 in
MKS: Overall Length 203.8 in.

Since when is a 9.4" difference the same size???????? Again, the LS is a midsized vehice(like the Jag S-type). This is a full sized sedan with similar dimesions to an A8 or 745i.
From Edmunds.com:

2006 A8: WB 121" OL 204.4"
2006 S-Type: WB 114.5 OL 193.1"

The S-Type is exactly the same size as the LS and shares the same wheelbase as the MKS. A8 is essentially the same length as the MKS but has a longer wheelbase that yields more interior room and is closer in size to the TC than any of the other three. The MKS fits somewhere in between the LS and TC but due to the wheelbase, it's closer to the LS in size than the TC.
Old 1/10/06, 01:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@January 10, 2006, 1:45 PM
From Edmunds.com:

2006 A8: WB 121" OL 204.4"
2006 S-Type: WB 114.5 OL 193.1"

The S-Type is exactly the same size as the LS and shares the same wheelbase as the MKS. A8 is essentially the same length as the MKS but has a longer wheelbase that yields more interior room and is closer in size to the TC than any of the other three. The MKS fits somewhere in between the LS and TC but due to the wheelbase, it's closer to the LS in size than the TC.
The A8 also has a traditional V8 arrangement, whereas this vehicle probably has a transverse mounted engine. A transverse engine layout allows a large interior without added length. Maybe an smaller LS will spawn off this platform? I can't see this being a LS simply because it is too large.
Old 1/10/06, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Before this gets out of hand, I wanted to stop and reason this thing out. So let's review the facts. The MKS has the same wheelbase as the LS (114") yet it is 9.4" longers. So the questions is this: where is the extra length? Well, it can't be in the cabin area since that sits between the wheels. Therefore, it must be in the front and rear overhangs. Only in the rear overhang does that translate into more space (trunk) but based on the photos, it appears that the MKS has less rear overhang than the LS. So the additionaly inches must be in the front which is of little use to the occupants. Now, like was said earlier, the interior space could be optimized. While this is true, you still only have 114" of space between the wheels to work with and if memory serves, the LS was a pretty roomy car. So without any real data on interior volume I would have to guess there isn't that much more room in the MKS vs. LS. So, in review, you have a car that is longer than the LS yet most probably isn't that larger from an interior standpoint. We also know the wheelbase is shorter than other larger sedans (A8). So, IMO the MKS is more than likely not much larger than the LS from an interior standpoint (and certainly not as large as the TC) but is longer in overall length. Of course, interior volume is what determines if a car is mid- vs full-size not overall length so it's possible the MKS crosses the threshold into the full-size segment based upon more optimized interior space.
Old 1/10/06, 02:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by KWMJ-KTP@January 10, 2006, 1:37 PM
I agree with you, but I think we are both right. The information has been a little mixed between sources, and here is probably why. Ford is showing this car and acting as if it is just one car, instead of the ideal behind two near to market cars.

The problem in the reporting is probably due to this. It has been well known that Ford is going to have 2 new sedans in 2007 as 2008 models for Lincoln. They were supposed to be built in Atlanta, but with the approaching rumors of the Jan. 23 company restructuring, there is a lot of belief that the new products will be shifted to the Wixom, Michigan plant, which had previously been rumored to close, and the closure may now be Atlanta's fate. We will not know any thing definate till the 23rd announcement. Also, it is worth pointing out that Wixom does currently build the Town Car.

For the past 1 to 2 years, it has been consistently reported that the two new models would be replacements for the LS and probably the Continental. There are rumors that the current Town Car will continue production in St. Thomas, Canada where it's structural twins the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis are currently built. So there is a mess of "what-ifs" going around. I think the general belief has been that the current Town Car would continue as it is, which would explain why the ideal of a Continental would arise, to fit between the LS replacement and an aging Town Car.

At closer look of the specifications, this MKS showcar is actually just a couple inches longer than the current FiveHundred in both wheelbase and overall length, so that would make good sense that this is the larger of the two cars, and not the smaller of the two as has been reported. The MKS is almost certainly the replacement for the Continental or Town Car, which one I do not think any can really answer with accuracy just yet. However, this platform will still very likely be the basis for the shorter sedan that will replace the LS too.

So like I mentioned, I think we are both right. This is the flagship model, but there will be an LS based off of it.
I agree. The TC has no real competition. IMO it's a bit too large for the current market. I drove one last week in FL and it was like driving my boat. It's outdated and needs to be replaced.
Old 1/10/06, 02:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@January 10, 2006, 3:01 PM
Before this gets out of hand, I wanted to stop and reason this thing out. So let's review the facts. The MKS has the same wheelbase as the LS (114") yet it is 9.4" longers. So the questions is this: where is the extra length? Well, it can't be in the cabin area since that sits between the wheels. Therefore, it must be in the front and rear overhangs. Only in the rear overhang does that translate into more space (trunk) but based on the photos, it appears that the MKS has less rear overhang than the LS. So the additionaly inches must be in the front which is of little use to the occupants. Now, like was said earlier, the interior space could be optimized. While this is true, you still only have 114" of space between the wheels to work with and if memory serves, the LS was a pretty roomy car. So without any real data on interior volume I would have to guess there isn't that much more room in the MKS vs. LS. So, in review, you have a car that is longer than the LS yet most probably isn't that larger from an interior standpoint. We also know the wheelbase is shorter than other larger sedans (A8). So, IMO the MKS is more than likely not much larger than the LS from an interior standpoint (and certainly not as large as the TC) but is longer in overall length. Of course, interior volume is what determines if a car is mid- vs full-size not overall length so it's possible the MKS crosses the threshold into the full-size segment based upon more optimized interior space.
Good analysis, but you are basing interior room strictly on wheelbase. There are other factors that limit interior volume. You are leaving out engine layout, which is a huge factor in interior size. The pics make it look like it has ample interior room. Like Kenny stated above, this may well be the a new "Continental" and a larger Town Car replacement will be developed alongside the MKS.
Old 1/10/06, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@January 10, 2006, 3:15 PM
Good analysis, but you are basing interior room strictly on wheelbase. There are other factors that limit interior volume. You are leaving out engine layout, which is a huge factor in interior size. The pics make it look like it has ample interior room. Like Kenny stated above, this may well be the a new "Continental" and a larger Town Car replacement will be developed alongside the MKS.
That's kind of where I was going with the last statement although I didn't explicitly mention engine layout as a contributor to the "optimized" interior space.

Either way, it's an excellent concept for Lincoln and hopefully is sign of good things to come!
Old 1/10/06, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I like that!!! THAT should make production just the way it is!
Old 1/10/06, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@January 10, 2006, 3:22 PM
That's kind of where I was going with the last statement although I didn't explicitly mention engine layout as a contributor to the "optimized" interior space.

Either way, it's an excellent concept for Lincoln and hopefully is sign of good things to come!
This car is definetly a step in the right direction. I think that Lincoln should start working on a sports coupe as well.
Old 1/10/06, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got this link of the reveal in an e-mail today from lincoln:

http://www.lincoln.com/reachhigher/default...alHome_20060109

Also, If you click on MKS at the bottom, it shows some more pics.
Old 1/10/06, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by f1-cobra@January 10, 2006, 4:30 PM
I got this link of the reveal in an e-mail today from lincoln:

http://www.lincoln.com/reachhigher/default...alHome_20060109

Also, If you click on MKS at the bottom, it shows some more pics.
I love this pic!
Old 1/11/06, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

I only have 1 or 2 more Mustangs left in me. I plan on keeping my next Stang ( SE or Shelby ) for a very long time. So this MKS really has me interested in the future of Lincoln. I am getting to that age where I want all the goodies and power too! If this MKS has 315hp and is AWD? I am sold!
Old 1/11/06, 04:54 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car that Ford should have built was the Continental concept from a couple years ago.

The MKS doesn't do it for me, it looks like a cross between a Maximua and an Acura TL, that is Japanese generic design.

While large @ 203" long (just barely longer than a Challenger) the MKS is tiny when compared to a Town Car, which is 214" long.

Looks like I'll be keeping my Lincoln LS for a few more years.
Old 1/12/06, 02:20 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The continental was ok but like the MK.9 just not developed enough nor particularlly thrilling to anyone not a fan of the 60s. If Linc is going to survive it has to break out of the old man's car company persona and build cars that BMW/Mercedes/Lexus owners would give consideration to. That's where the MKS is aimed. I think we'll see another large, conservatively-styled TC-sized vehicle before it's had its run, just to keep the Vegas cab companies and mob-wannabies happy, but mainstream Lincoln's gonna head down the Chris Bangle road from here.
Old 1/12/06, 04:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GTJOHN@January 11, 2006, 4:21 PM
If this MKS has 315hp and is AWD? I am sold!
From what I have been hearing, in a couple of years, everything Lincoln builds will be available with AWD or 4WD. Not sure if the engine will stay, but I would think that it would since it is a production engine already.

A very nice package I think.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKS