TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln to get a version of the Flex?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/03/m...n-of-the-flex/

Old 1/3/08, 10:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Blue II, Igor, and others have already confirmed this, and that it will NOT look like a flex with a wing grille. They claim its even further from the Flex than the MKS is from the Taurus. Power is supposedly to come from a Twinforce 3.7L, though whether that's the base or an option is unknown. We likely will not see it in the flesh until after the Flex hits the market, I think.
Old 1/3/08, 08:56 PM
FR500 Member

With that color combo, make the grille slats horizontal, and it could pass as a "BIG Mini". = )
Old 1/4/08, 02:25 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a stupid idea.

Brought to you by the same old-guard half-wits that cooked up that other Lincoln white elephant, the MK LT pickup truck.

How many more sport-utility-crossover-wagon-minivan variations does this company need, for crissake?

Now, if they were planning to crank out a TRUE Infiniti FX type competitor, then maybe I could see it, but do they have the chops for that yet?
Old 1/4/08, 12:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
First spy pics (that I've seen anyway):

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/linc...-shots/557865/

EDIT: The more I looked at it I realized it's the MK-Flex nose grafted onto a Taurus X body, especially since the body isn't camo'd at all.
Old 1/4/08, 03:53 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
First spy pics (that I've seen anyway):

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/linc...-shots/557865/

EDIT: The more I looked at it I realized it's the MK-Flex nose grafted onto a Taurus X body, especially since the body isn't camo'd at all.

Old 1/4/08, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

Meh...I'll wait for the real thing and not pass judgement on a test mule. It might turn out to be pretty nice. They're saying it will share ZERO sheetmetal with the Flex.
Old 1/4/08, 07:56 PM
Closet American

Meh...I'll wait for the real thing and not pass judgement on a test mule. It might turn out to be pretty nice. They're saying it will share ZERO sheetmetal with the Flex.
Well, sure. But again, WHY do we need this?
Old 1/4/08, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, sure. But again, WHY do we need this?

Agreed.

I would think that, if anything, Lincoln needs some RWD and some higher quality and technology to align it against other luxery divisions. I bet that the money they're spending on building this thing could go a long way towards reaching other goals for Lincoln.
Old 1/5/08, 12:40 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Lincoln needs replacement for Town Car.
Old 1/5/08, 10:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Lincoln needs replacement for Town Car.
Perhaps the Lincoln Flex could also be marketed as a more fuel efficient alternative to the Navigator.
Old 1/5/08, 11:18 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by instigator311
Agreed.

I would think that, if anything, Lincoln needs some RWD and some higher quality and technology to align it against other luxery divisions. I bet that the money they're spending on building this thing could go a long way towards reaching other goals for Lincoln.
Yes, RWD. Lincoln seems to be heading down the Acura path of primarily FWD vehicles, while Cadillac is making the switch back to RWD... IMO, FWD just doesn't "fit" with a luxury vehicle.
Old 1/5/08, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Yes, RWD. Lincoln seems to be heading down the Acura path of primarily FWD vehicles, while Cadillac is making the switch back to RWD... IMO, FWD just doesn't "fit" with a luxury vehicle.
I hope the Global RWD program will result in a RWD vehicle for Lincoln such as the MKR.
Old 1/5/08, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

When is ford going to realize that putting a new front end on an existing ford is LAME!!! They need to do the same with lincoln that GM did with Caddy. COMPLETELY different cars, and go RWD with them. They need to FIRE everyone on the design teams and decision making teams with quickness.
Old 1/5/08, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Agreed, Lincoln needs some RWD cars or they'll always be seen as just a trim option for Fords. FWD sleds aren't true luxury cars, every Lincoln sold right now or to be sold in the near future is just a re-badged Ford..
Old 1/5/08, 10:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Once again, the Ford insiders from BON have said this is NOT going to be a Flex with a MKR nose. Like the MKS it is based on the same architecture as its Ford counterpart but will share no sheetmetal, share no interior design elements, have its own powertrain options, and have a unique tune/setup.
Originally Posted by hatchttu
....They need to do the same with lincoln that GM did with Caddy. COMPLETELY different cars....
Yeah, gotta love how the XLR has nothing in common with the Corvette, the Escalade has nothing to do with the Tahoe/Suburban, and the EXT has nothing to do with the Avalance. Put it another way, if Ford brings the Interceptor and MKR to market, are you going to bag the MKR becuase it's not built off a Linc-only platform? If GM wants to use Sigma for only Caddy, and shovel more money into platform development just so they can say that, fine. But Ford can build great Fords and great Lincolns with platform-sharing, I say bring 'em on!
Old 1/6/08, 03:32 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Once again, the Ford insiders from BON have said this is NOT going to be a Flex with a MKR nose. Like the MKS it is based on the same architecture as its Ford counterpart but will share no sheetmetal, share no interior design elements, have its own powertrain options, and have a unique tune/setup.
Great, tell me again why Lincoln needs another 'truck'.

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Yeah, gotta love how the XLR has nothing in common with the Corvette, the Escalade has nothing to do with the Tahoe/Suburban, and the EXT has nothing to do with the Avalance. Put it another way, if Ford brings the Interceptor and MKR to market, are you going to bag the MKR becuase it's not built off a Linc-only platform? If GM wants to use Sigma for only Caddy, and shovel more money into platform development just so they can say that, fine. But Ford can build great Fords and great Lincolns with platform-sharing, I say bring 'em on!
Platform sharing doesn't bother me. Rebadged bodies, especially when they're on 16 different variations of compact sport utility minivan wagons...that bothers me.
Old 1/6/08, 10:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks like they put the Freestyle greenhouse on a Flex. Lincoln doesn't need the vehicle at all.
Old 1/6/08, 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Acura is the worst badge switching in the industry. The TSX and RL are NOTHING but different emblems on JDM/EU versions of regular hondas(the 'baby' EU accord and JDM Legend). They really haven't broken any ground nor dominate sales in their original markets either. Acura's in the US average a selling price of $1000 below invoice plus rebates.
Old 1/6/08, 10:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
That looks like they put the Freestyle greenhouse on a Flex. Lincoln doesn't need the vehicle at all.
It's a TEST MULE. They grafted the Lincoln Flex nose onto a Taurus X for testing purposes only. We don't know what the greenhouse of the Lincoln will look like.

Quick Reply: Lincoln to get a version of the Flex?